Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

New models of orbital stations

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

AlexD
Average
Average

New models of orbital stations

Post by AlexD »

I think... a-a-a.. maybe someone could to do new models of orbital stations. It seems that stations are too small in comparsion with ships. :? I know so it was in old Elite. (Did I write wrong? I mean orbital stations in Oolite as small as in Elite). But it will be more realistic when station will be bigger.
Evil Juice
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Evil Juice »

there are a few OXPs like globe.oxp or tori.oxp that address that problem

http://capnhack.com/hosting/oolite/Oolite/OoSat.html

you can also find a mean military station that douses you with hot plasma sauce if you don't behave
Target lost
AlexD
Average
Average

Post by AlexD »

I saw it. But I talk about size of Coriolis stations. :)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Well, the “gritty coriolis” OXP makes some coriolises bigger. Only by about 16%, but hey. :-)
AlexD
Average
Average

Post by AlexD »

Heh. :) Looks nice. :D
How did I miss this OXP? :?

But... only 16%... :(
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

AlexD wrote:
Heh. :) Looks nice. :D
How did I miss this OXP? :?

But... only 16%... :(
I think the size is quite realistic. Look closer - even regular Coriolis may strore thusands of ships - do you know what is thousand in 3d? it is just 10x10x10 cube.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: New models of orbital stations

Post by ArkanoiD »

AlexD wrote:
I think... a-a-a.. maybe someone could to do new models of orbital stations. It seems that stations are too small in comparsion with ships. :? I know so it was in old Elite. (Did I write wrong? I mean orbital stations in Oolite as small as in Elite). But it will be more realistic when station will be bigger.
Original Elite orbital stations were smaller! A MkIII cobra was about as wide as 2/3 of docking bay door and the docking bay itself occupied definitely more space on the station front side!
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

erh, i'm trying to make one *shudders* maybe one day, i'll even haave an OXP to my name!
edible poet? onna stick?
AlexD
Average
Average

Post by AlexD »

ArkanoiD wrote:
do you know what is thousand in 3d? it is just 10x10x10 cube.
Yea, but space station it is not empty box with a hole in front, where space ship are side by side. Am I right? :wink:
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

AlexD wrote:
ArkanoiD wrote:
do you know what is thousand in 3d? it is just 10x10x10 cube.
Yea, but space station it is not empty box with a hole in front, where space ship are side by side. Am I right? :wink:
Yep, but i think after you dock ships are stored in a hangar quite compact. And there will be enough space left for other purposes..
AlexD
Average
Average

Post by AlexD »

But I think Coriolis cann't store thusands of ships. Yes, thusands in 3D is 10x10x10 box, but ship are not 1x1x1 box. :)
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

perhaps every coriolis is standard fitted with some sort of quantum storage facility... so a 60m ship only takes up a 1x1x1m cube... after all, didn't someone calculate that, for the anaconda to hold 700 T of stuff, it's had to be enormously larger than it currently is? it must have a quantum storage hold.

maybe that's an idea for an new bit of equip... from high tech wolrlds, you install a quantum cargo bay, and choose the size of it - so maybe 10,000C per 10 tonnes gained... so it would be a long-term investment - you'd recoup the cash, but it would take time.
edible poet? onna stick?
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

AlexD wrote:
But I think Coriolis cann't store thusands of ships. Yes, thusands in 3D is 10x10x10 box, but ship are not 1x1x1 box. :)
Just watch another Cobra docking. It is *really* small compared to Coriolis.

Speaking on station internals, if i designed it, i'd make a storage device for most common ship sizes, so after you dock you leave the ship which is then being picked up by hangar authomatics and stored to occupy just that rectangular "box" area. You do not have a reason to walk to your ship in the storage area and to control its way out through station inside, station can just place it on the launch position with mechanical device. Doesn't it sound reasonable?
AlexD
Average
Average

Post by AlexD »

ArkanoiD wrote:
Doesn't it sound reasonable?
Yes it is. I just imagine... :roll: Big Coriolis. REALLY BIG. Slowly rotating. It is so.... so massive, so majestic... :oops: