Are there link lists for OXPs outside the Wiki?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Are there link lists for OXPs outside the Wiki?

Post by Commander McLane »

Every once in a while I use the "Updates" feature of box.com to check which OXPs of mine get downloaded. This morning it informs me that
Someone downloaded from a shared link: Today at 9:29 AM
Anarchies v 2.5.zip
which makes me wonder, because I am not aware of any existing link to Anarchies2.5 since I updated to v 2.6. Yet, the number of downloads for v 2.5 is still growing slowly but steadily. The same goes for old versions of other OXPs of mine.

Where do people still find the link to the download? The only place I can think of is the history of the Wiki page, because it's the only place where I ever placed a link. But why would somebody trawl through the history of a Wiki page in order to click on an outdated download link?

Or does another list of (outdated) download links for OXP exist outside the Wiki, of which I am not aware? That would be bad for those people who are using it and getting outdated OXPs.

As a rule, I only publish one single download link to any of my OXPs, and this is to be found on the OXP's Wiki page. All other links to the OXP only point to that Wiki page, never to box.com. Therefore, anybody interested in one of my OXPs and following a link should arrive at the Wiki page and only find the most recent version of the OXP there.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Are there link lists for OXPs outside the Wiki?

Post by SandJ »

Commander McLane wrote:
Where do people still find the link to the download?

But why would somebody trawl through the history of a Wiki page in order to click on an outdated download link?

Or does another list of (outdated) download links for OXP exist outside the Wiki, of which I am not aware?
There are the search engine spiders crawling all over the web.

There is the WayBack Machine that is copying everything.

Then there are the more obscure bots cheerfully copying things. For example: RapidShareMix

There are the government security agencies checking everything online.

There are the 'rights' people (i.e. the music industry) checking what is being shared.

So it may not be people downloading the old OXPs
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Commander McLane wrote:
As a rule, I only publish one single download link to any of my OXPs, and this is to be found on the OXP's Wiki page. All other links to the OXP only point to that Wiki page, never to box.com. Therefore, anybody interested in one of my OXPs and following a link should arrive at the Wiki page and only find the most recent version of the OXP there.
I just delete the old version on Box each time I do a release; I'd rather have someone complaining about a broken unsupported link (which is easily fixed) than using an obsolete version of one of my OXPs.
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

m4r35n357 wrote:
I just delete the old version on Box each time I do a release; I'd rather have someone complaining about a broken unsupported link (which is easily fixed) than using an obsolete version of one of my OXPs.
Whereas I use the update feature meaning old links never need updating/changeing
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Staer9 wrote:
Whereas I use the update feature meaning old links never need updating/changeing
OK well I'll look into that next time, if there is one!