Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Storm Shipyards

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Storm Shipyards

Post by Storm »

drew wrote:
Storm... I'm close to speechless. That looks far better than I could have imagined it myself. I'm going to alter the descriptions in the books to better match what you've created. Astonishing work - bravo!

Looking through the pictures the first thought I had was "OMG... it's real... the damn things real!" :shock:

I will download the OXP tonight and trial it on my install of Oolite. WHen you've finished with the beta, make sure you start a new thread and announce it, folks will want this in their game I'm sure!

Thanks for realising this, I'm most humbly grateful.

Cheers,

Drew.
Thank you very much Drew. Glad you like it!
fronclynne wrote:
Even without shaders, it's pretty awesome.
Thank you fronclynne! This next bit should be of interest to you then :)

I've got a new updated version uploaded (same box file address as last) where I've done away with the shaders (gasp!)...

... and still have glowing, pulsing hex-panels and blinking docking lights. Also I think this way it looks like its more on the dark side of the planet!

The scripting I believe could quite easily be applied to mimick Griff's laser and engine heat shader effects on ships for those without shaders!
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

Storm wrote:
The scripting I believe could quite easily be applied to mimick Griff's laser and engine heat shader effects on ships for those without shaders!
err.. not quite...
Those effects still require shader module 4.0 or greater but can be done as material definitions.
Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

Ah well :(

It seems the script is a bit too fps expensive anyway (as the TCA managed to kill Smiv's Oolite for one) so I'll be backdating to the last shader version later.

Can I bind time into the emission_modulate_color in the shipdata.plist materials {...}; instead of using a javascript, or are bindings limited to the shipdata shaders {...}; ?

I'll add the emission map into materials next update anyway so no blacked-out lighting for those without shaders.
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

It would be possible to use the material definitions to set up the non-shader effects, which effects those are I'm not sure (Smivs would know better than me) then set up the .vertex and .fragment shader files in the shader definition section, thus making it look awesome on all machines without making either side loose functionality.

although I think you can just list all the effects in the Materials part, as far as I'm aware non-shader machines just pick the top of the maps (either spec or illum) simple-shader machines (those with shader module 3.0) can use 3-4 different maps and full shader (module 4.0) can theoretically use however many you want. (I don't know where shader module 5.0 stands, because I can get full effects on either a radeon 6550 or an intel 3000, the first with module 5.0, the second with 4.0)

please feel free to disregard any of my ramblings because that station is absolutely breathtaking, great work :D
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Storm wrote:
Thanks Okti :)

Well, my first OXP Beta Release, the Tionisla Chronicle Array, can be found at:

http://www.box.com/s/jcbh1c7qryhn0pui2ndg

Hope it works, and enjoy :)
Thanks, Storm. Added it to the WIP section of the [wiki]OXP List[/wiki] of the old and the OXP List of the new wiki.
Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

New Beta of the Tionisla Chronicle Array OXP is up at http://www.box.com/s/jcbh1c7qryhn0pui2ndg.

Scripting works (hopefully no bugs) now where I can place broadcast arrays in other charts which will also change the logo and docking display to another chosen 'channel.'

The famous Tionisla Chronicle Array is (obviously) to be found over Tionisla in Chart 1.

The channel G5TVN (http://www.smitheman.org/xeptatl/orgs.htm) has an array over the planet Maeser in Chart 5.
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

Hey Storm,

Love all of your ships design they are simple and beautiful... can't wait to try them out ingame and apply some skins as I did to Griff's ships. The array looks awesome as well. My hat off to you.

Greetings

Steve
Alpha Backer of Elite Dangerous
With 250 GBP :D
Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

Thanks dertien. The modelling/scripting I'm finding quite fun to do and work out, but the texturing side is proving to be harder.

The TCA OXP Beta (http://www.box.com/s/jcbh1c7qryhn0pui2ndg) has been expanded to add additional broadcast arrays added across the charts besides the famous Tionisla Chronicle Array. These include:

GNN (Galactic News Network)
G5TVN
Rooters
Snoopers.gal
StarSports

Thanks to DaddyHoggy, Disembodied and Svengali for their consent in adding the three Snoopers oxp channels, and to Smivs for G5TVN. StarSports is one of my own devising.

Check the readme file to discover where they can be found ;)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

No worries - as I said in the PM - feel free to use "Views of the Worlds" and the "Daily Wail" too - I think I've got Hi-Res images on my HD somewhere if you do want them.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

Sure DaddyHoggy, that will round off all 8 charts :)
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Surely "Views of the Worlds" wouldn't bother with its own channel - it would just hack into everyone else's...? :wink:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Star Gazer wrote:
Surely "Views of the Worlds" wouldn't bother with its own channel - it would just hack into everyone else's...? :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Gimbal Locke
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimbal Locke »

The array looks better and better with every version. Gratz with the launch of the StarSports channel. I'm looking forward to the release of your ships.
In the readme.txt for TCA you wrote:
No market or extra equipment (except fuel) are available at the TCA.
The "TraderNet Monthly Subscription" from the new equipments OXP is also available at the array, but that seems more like a feature than a bug to me.

EDIT: I noticed that TraderNet was for sale when I visited with a fully equipped ship. So I went there again with a bare ship. The only other item for sale from the many OXPs on my machine was the beer cooler. So I bought one: a TCA branded beer cooler is a collector's item.
Storm
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Storm »

Star Gazer wrote:
Hehe :lol: Well, until the bribes sent to GalCop and GalNav officials come to light, they are now broadcasting from Chart 2. The Daily Wail has an array in Chart 4.
Gimbal Locke wrote:
The array looks better and better with every version. Gratz with the launch of the StarSports channel. I'm looking forward to the release of your ships.

In the readme.txt for TCA you wrote:
No market or extra equipment (except fuel) are available at the TCA.

The "TraderNet Monthly Subscription" from the new equipments OXP is also available at the array, but that seems more like a feature than a bug to me.

EDIT: I noticed that TraderNet was for sale when I visited with a fully equipped ship. So I went there again with a bare ship. The only other item for sale from the many OXPs on my machine was the beer cooler. So I bought one: a TCA branded beer cooler is a collector's item.
Hmm, might have to get one myself. :)
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Storm - You've produced some great looking ship models. I especially like the ships that you have developed from scratch. Are you planning on releasing any of these ships as oxps ?
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"