Famous Planets 2.5.OXP and Famous Planets for Povray

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Famous Planets 2.5.OXP (update for new users)

Post by Greyth »

This is absolutely mind blowing, phew! For the first time in a decade or so I crave a more powerful machine just so that I can play this game in all it's glory. See what you've done? Thanks.
Oolite 1.76
Debian 6 : Ubuntu 12.04
NVidia 6200 : Radeon/AMD thang
Abit AN7 : Packard Bell TJ74
Ross154
Competent
Competent

Post by Ross154 »

Is it intentional that a lot of the planet descriptions present in the PDF are absent in the planetinfo.plist, therefore they don't appear in game? Descritions for lave, Isinor, Bemaera, Xeesle, etc (just to name a few in my sector) are missing, I was thinking about copying the description from the PDF file, but is there a specific reason why they are missing?

p.s. where can I find a list with the planets (and their referring numbers)? The numbers in this list and the numbers in planetinfo.plist don't match
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Ross154 wrote:
p.s. where can I find a list with the planets (and their referring numbers)? The numbers in this list and the numbers in planetinfo.plist don't match
Depends which list you're using on that page. The top list (Tibedied = #0) has the correct numbers. Subtract 1 from the Galaxy number to get the planetinfo number, so Lave should be "0 7", Isxelave in Galaxy 4 would be "3 62", and so on.
Ross154
Competent
Competent

Post by Ross154 »

Thanks, I'll update the planetinfo.plist for myself, hoping there isn't a special reason those descriptions weren't added.

Edit: only Lave, Isinor and Eszaraxe are present in the PDF but not in planetinfo.plist, I've inserted their description but it doesn't show in the game, I give up.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Hi Ros 154,

Some of the planets that where or are missing are on purpose because of playing nice with another OXP.

In the case of Lave Famous Planets works with the Lave.oxp. I did not change the Lave.oxp so if you got the Lave.oxp installed then you should have the descriptions from that OXP.

The other planets you mention are planets that appear in the Galactic Navy.oxp. I decided at the time to add a description in the .pdf anyway although the Galactic Navy.oxp will overrule the planet descriptions I made.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

My new project is Famous Planets for Povray

What does that mean?

It does mean that Famous Planets is merged in the Povray sets but that I also started to make descriptions based on the Povray planets. I am not an English writer so I certainly make mistakes. So I need proofreading.

Short term aim for the project is to provide descriptions for all planets in Galaxy 1.

As inspiration I use the Planet list, New Galaxy Guide, OXP's like the Feudals, Powers and Organisations and off course the Vector maps. (all on the Wiki).

Here is an example. This description was made using the original and extending the description with the Coomunin (as featured on the wiki) I then thought that the poet maybe inspired the Coomunin. So I searched a planet with volcanoes in G4 and found it and voila a new description was born.

Any volunteers for proofreading?
All contributions in the form of descriptions are welcome but please do use the original planet description as a starting point.
Last edited by pagroove on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

pagroove wrote:
Any volunteers for proofreading?
All contributions in the form of descriptions are welcome but please do use the original planet description as a starting point.
I'll volunteer for proofreading. FYI , 'widly' should be 'widely' :D
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Famous Planets 2.5.OXP and Famous Planets for Povray

Post by pagroove »

Ok thank you!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Ok then this will be a long process. But here we go (galaxy 1 planet number 1-4)
If you proofread then please repost the whole text as corrected. In that way I can copy and paste them in the planetinfo.plist.

Tibedied

This planet is most notable for Tibediedian Arma brandy. This brandy sometimes contains a larva which is deadly to some species. The planet is mostly covered in dense jungle and is a magnet for nature lovers. The attraction is only strengthened by being the only green planet in the sector. Around the poles, there are flat areas with cities. The Royal House of Tebedied welcomes travellers and traders who make planetfall after visiting the tournaments at the Royal Hunting Lodge in orbit.

Qube

Qube is reasonably well known for its great dense forests and deep blue oceans. It is dotted with islands and inland seas. The temperate climate provide the inhabitants with an abundance of food. Sadly the planet is scourged by a long lasting civil war between the large food corporations and the farmers who are robbed of their land for quick profit. Visitors are advised to check the tourist bulletins to see if there is any conflict around the landing spot.

Leleer

The world Leleer is very noted for its pink Leleerian Er plant plantations but beset by frequent civil war. Unless you are an biologist it is best to stay away from the surface. Many travellers don't make the trip back to the station. Also there are many known cases where traders get kidnapped and only came back after their families pay a large ransom. This is mostly done to put pressure on the Dictators of Leleer.

Biarge

(already in FP)

Xequerin

The world Xequerin is fabled for its weird volcanoes and the Xequerinian mountain lobstoid. The best known volcano is Mount Lexuqberen named after the Coomonin lobstoid poet Lexuq. His poem about Mount Lexuqberen is widely known. Lexuq later died on Dienon in galaxy 4. A planet much like his birthplace because it is notable for its great volcanoes and its inhabitants' eccentric love for poetry. It is rumored that his death gave birth to the Coomunin.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

It's a great idea to merge these two projects and provide more extensive planet description. How about thinking not only about geographic and cultural features, but also taking the form of government into account? Or the industrialization and wealth? Which makes me think, can these descriptions be pluggable? So that if, for example, New Cargoes is installed it can change the economic parts of the description.

I guess that would require some sort of framework, maybe like this:
  • There are place holders for planet description, government, and economy. The default planet description is generated by Oolite, the others are left empty.
  • OXPs, such as yours, can change either of these place holders. In your case, you would change the planet description. In the case of New Cargoes, the economy description could be changed. In the case of Feudal States, the government description could be set.
  • I think each OXP would need to define whether it sets the base description (which replaces the existing base) or if it is a mission description, in which case it would be added to the existing one to allow for multiple missions providing info on the same planet without overwriting each other.
Does that make sense?
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

maik wrote:
It's a great idea to merge these two projects and provide more extensive planet description. How about thinking not only about geographic and cultural features, but also taking the form of government into account? Or the industrialization and wealth? Which makes me think, can these descriptions be pluggable? So that if, for example, New Cargoes is installed it can change the economic parts of the description.

• There are place holders for planet description, government, and economy. The default planet description is generated by Oolite, the others are left empty.
  • OXPs, such as yours, can change either of these place holders. In your case, you would change the planet description. In the case of New Cargoes, the economy description could be changed. In the case of Feudal States, the government description could be set.
  • I think each OXP would need to define whether it sets the base description (which replaces the existing base) or if it is a mission description, in which case it would be added to the existing one to allow for multiple missions providing info on the same planet without overwriting each other.
Does that make sense?
Well it would be great if someone can do it but for me that is too complex. I'm glad already if I finish G1. And that takes a long time I guess.

Now I need to do planet number: 5 to 15. Contributions are welcome (also to prevent writers block)

I will be off the computer now and will check back. Also as I'm busy with RL also it will probably take slower than Submersible does the textures for one galaxy.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

pagroove wrote:
Tibedied

This planet is most notable for Tibediedian Arma brandy. This brandy sometimes contains a larva which is deadly to some species. The planet is mostly covered in dense jungle and is a magnet for nature lovers. The attraction is only strengthened by being the only green planet in the sector. Around the poles, there are flat areas with cities. The Royal House of Tibedied welcomes travellers and traders who make planetfall after visiting the tournaments at the Royal Hunting Lodge in orbit.

Qube

Qube is reasonably well known for its great dense forests and deep blue oceans. It is dotted with islands and inland seas. The temperate climate provides the inhabitants with an abundance of food. Sadly the planet is scourged by a long-lasting civil war between the large food corporations and the farmers who are robbed of their land for quick profit. Visitors are advised to check the tourist bulletins to see if there is any conflict around the landing spot.

Leleer

The world Leleer is very noted for its pink Leleerian Er plant plantations but beset by frequent civil war. Unless you are a biologist it is best to stay away from the surface. Many travellers don't make the trip back to the station. Also there are many known cases where traders have been kidnapped, and only released after their families paid a large ransom. This is mostly done to put pressure on the Dictators of Leleer.

Biarge

(already in FP)

Xequerin

The world Xequerin is fabled for its weird volcanoes and the Xequerinian mountain lobstoid. The best-known volcano is Mount Lexuqberen, named after the Coomonin lobstoid poet Lexuq. His poem about Mount Lexuqberen is widely known. Lexuq later died on Dienon in galaxy 4, a planet much like his birthplace, also notable for its great volcanoes and its inhabitants' eccentric love for poetry. It is rumoured that his death gave birth to the Coomunin.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

pagroove wrote:
The planet is mostly covered in dense jungle and is a magnet for nature lovers. The attraction is only strengthened by being the only green planet in the sector.
Heh, I get into trouble when proof-reading, as I start to re-write stuff, but I'd recommend either:
"Its attraction is strengthened by being the only green planet in the sector." or "The attraction is strengthened by it being the only green planet in the sector."
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

maik wrote:

Does that make sense?
Certainly a good idea, and the framework would be easy enough to put together, but I think it would be tricky to implement with the way that planetinfo currently works. The problem is that planetinfo.description is all-or-nothing, so if you have multiple OXPs wanting to change the same planet, only one wins (alphabetically selected on some systems, arbitrarily on others). So a modular approach needs to use System.infoForSystem(g,s).description = "..." - but that gets written to the save file and would seriously bloat it if all 2048 systems were included.

Hmm... call it 800 chars per system for all descriptions, with 2048 systems, and that's potentially an extra 1.5Mb on to the size of each save file. I can't see that working out sustainably.

Ah, idea. We only need this data when F7 is pressed, and we know where we need it for because it's the witchspace destination. So we can dynamically generate it when we need it, write it to the description, and then when they move off that screen we can blank it back to the empty string and it never ends up in the save file. As long as all the scripts that want to register planetary information contract to not take more than a few ms each, it'll be fine. I'll see if I can knock together a proof of concept this evening, I think.

(It'll really mess with OXPs that write to system.info.description outside of the framework, but there can't be that many of them, and we can always write compatibility modules if necessary)
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

pagroove wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
I can write one or two. Do you want them posted here or PM them to you?
Hi Fatleaf!

Great :)

Post them in the FP2.5. topic. I need descriptions for planet numbers 5 to 15. So the first one would be Tiraor.
:shock: Wrong thread! :oops:

How about now? :mrgreen:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"