Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Mission One - finished or not

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Damos
Above Average
Above Average

Mission One - finished or not

Post by Damos »

mmm

Well I thought I destroyed the constrictor and captured the fiend who stole her..
When I docked afterwards got a message that I had been given 1000 credits for capturing the thief..
So I carried on my merry way

But today when I press f4/f5 twice to list missions there is a comment about needing to destroy the constrictor.

There is a small chance I suppose that I have fallen into the dreaded "I didn't save" error.

As I am on the other side of the galaxy is there a way of confirming whether I did kill the constrictor? or is the evidence staring me in the face under Missions..

D.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Mission One - finished or not

Post by Commander McLane »

Open your save file with any text editor and look for the string

Code: Select all

<key>mission_conhunt</key>
If the next line says

Code: Select all

<string>MISSION_COMPLETE</string>
you have finished the mission. Otherwise you haven't, and you may indeed have forgotten to save afterwards. Although this would of course only affect the mission of you either quit the game or got killed after finishing the mission.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Actually, there's another way to fail that mission. 8)
Constrictor pilot/crew bails out in an escape pod and you capture that but fail to kill the Constrictor because maybe it was injecting at the time and sailed off radar heading for parts unknown.
Damos
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Damos »

Ah mm Switeck replies sounds like a winner as I cant imagine that I would have forgotten to save after I thought I had pickup up the constrictor pilot. After I complete my current assassination mission I head back to that system and see what happens.

I tried looking at the save file but couldn't find it (windows64-7 & installed 3 weeks ago).

FINALLY found the files at (this is ridiculous - the default search function not find it)

C:\users\XXXX\Appdata\Local\Virtualstore\Program Files (x86)\Games\oolite.app\oolite-sav

as opposed to the game itself
C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\oolite.app which has a save directory which is empty.

To Commander McLane
Looked up <key>mission_conhunt</key> as you suggested and the next line is
<string>STAGE_1</string>

so from your comment that means I havent completed it. If I return to the system where the constrictor was will I get the option to have another go or I am I stuck because of Switeck suggested??

If I'm stuck with an uncompleteable mission one, would replacing <string>STAGE_1</string> with <string>MISSION_COMPLETE</string> work?? Unethical I know but I wouldn't want to not get offered the next mission..

Thanks again for your help

D.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Damos wrote:
I tried looking at the save file but couldn't find it (windows64-7 & installed 3 weeks ago).

FINALLY found the files at (this is ridiculous - the default search function not find it)

C:\users\XXXX\Appdata\Local\Virtualstore\Program Files (x86)\Games\oolite.app\oolite-sav

as opposed to the game itself
C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\oolite.app which has a save directory which is empty.
This is a security feature introduced by Microsoft since Vista. Windows will not let a program modify anything in what it considers to be "program files", but instead redirects those modifications to a "virtual" folder leaving the original files and folders intact. Causes huge problems for a lot of cross platform programs and games such as Oolite. The default installation directory for Oolite on Windows was changed to C:\Oolite a while back for this very reason. So to avoid further issues I would suggest reinstalling into a directory outside "Program Files".

I use a separate folder "C:\Programs" where I put all programs that have an issue with this or if they are single run files that don't use installers. Keeps things tidy on my computer.

Just to make sure, you are running the latest stable Oolite 1.76. If not, I would recommend that you upgrade.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Post by fronclynne »

Gimi wrote:
This is a security feature introduced by Microsoft since Vista. Windows will not let a program modify anything in what it considers to be "program files", but instead redirects those modifications to a "virtual" folder leaving the original files and folders intact.
It may have been turned off for XP (how would I know?) but I'm fairly sure the "regular users are not allowed to modify system content" was a feature for NT4.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

True for regular users, but don't remember how that actually worked in NT/2K/XP. The virtual folders thing and not being able to save anything, including setup files etc, within "program files" was new in Vista.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Damos wrote:
Well I thought I destroyed the constrictor and captured the fiend who stole her..
When I docked afterwards got a message that I had been given 1000 credits for capturing the thief..
So I carried on my merry way

But today when I press f4/f5 twice to list missions there is a comment about needing to destroy the constrictor.
No idea what situation of the above mentioned happened with you, but is was possible to make the pilot eject, scoop it and deliver to the station without actually killing the constrictor.

Future Oolite versions will detect this scenario and give an appropriate message when delivering the escape pod at a station.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Eric Walch wrote:
but is was possible to make the pilot eject, scoop it and deliver to the station without actually killing the constrictor... Future Oolite versions will detect this scenario and give an appropriate message when delivering the escape pod at a station
I'd call that a complete mission failure... the task is to "seek and destroy this ship"! The escape pod is just gravy!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cody

Post by Cody »

By the way, is it Carruthers or Curruthers (as it says in the missiontext.plist)?
This line seems wrong, as well: "Her Imperial Navy awards you a bonus of 1000 credits!"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

El Viejo wrote:
By the way, is it Carruthers or Curruthers?
I don't think he's called Carruthers anywhere. The name is Curruthers.
El Viejo wrote:
This line seems wrong, as well: "Her Imperial Navy awards you a bonus of 1000 credits!"
You're right. The complete title is "Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy". However, "Her Imperial Navy" may well be the accepted short form.
Last edited by Commander McLane on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Commander McLane wrote:
However, "Her Imperial Navy" may well be the accepted short form.
Hmm... for me, it should be either the full title, or just 'the Navy'. I'm more concerned about Carruthers/Curruthers, though.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

El Viejo wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
However, "Her Imperial Navy" may well be the accepted short form.
Hmm... for me, it should be either the full title, or just 'the Navy'. I'm more concerned about Carruthers/Curruthers, though.
Where have you found "Carruthers"? This would be a typo, I think.
Cody

Post by Cody »

For over a quarter of a century, I've believed it to be Carruthers... as have many on the forum, it seems. Curruthers it is then. Hey-ho!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

El Viejo wrote:
For over a quarter of a century, I've believed it to be Carruthers... as have many on the forum, it seems. Curruthers it is then. Hey-ho!
At least it's consistently in Oolite (possible typos in OXPs which use the character notwithstanding). I honestly don't remember for any Elite version, so I can't say whether you misread a quarter of a century ago, or Giles did ten years ago. :wink: