Background Stars colour - bug?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Background Stars colour - bug?

Post by DaddyHoggy »

EV posted a couple of pics here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 42#p165042

I noticed the background star scape takes on the colouration of the in system sun. That has to be a bug doesn't it?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Background Stars colour - bug?

Post by Eric Walch »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
EV posted a couple of pics here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 42#p165042

I noticed the background star scape takes on the colouration of the in system sun. That has to be a bug doesn't it?
I think the color sensors of the camera are compensating for the main color, so it is explainable that star color differs from system to system. But, than it should be the complementary color of the sun, and not the sun color itself.
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

I thought stars, regardless of type, emit white light?
Oolite 1.76
Debian 6 : Ubuntu 12.04
NVidia 6200 : Radeon/AMD thang
Abit AN7 : Packard Bell TJ74
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Greyth wrote:
I thought stars, regardless of type, emit white light?
No, they do give everything a reflected colour, depending on the star. However the background stars shouldn't also have that hue. I'm not sure if its a bug, I can't remember what previous versions did.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

Quite so, having looked it up, stars do indeed emit coloured light. The human eye, however, is relatively insensitive to colour emanating from a point source. So, background stars should be white?
Oolite 1.76
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Greyth wrote:
Quite so, having looked it up, stars do indeed emit coloured light. The human eye, however, is relatively insensitive to colour emanating from a point source. So, background stars should be white?
Not at all. Just look up to the sky at night, and you'll see that the stars are not all white. :wink:
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Greyth wrote:
I don't think it is to do with point source, but with the low luminance of stars (other than Sol) seen from earth.
[human eye :] Scotopic vision occurs at luminance levels of 0.01 to 0.000001 cd/m².

clear sky at night (no moon) : ~ 0.001 cd/m²

For the game : Why should I suddenly care about "realistic representation of reality" ?
As long as it adds flavour / looks good - fine with me.

Maybe in El Viejo's ship the screens are faultily calibrated for Lobsteroid Vision ?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
They don’t, and it isn’t. The stars have a range of colours (linear in RGB space) that’s selected randomly per system, separate from the sun colour; this has always been the case. This is a design decision from before my time. :-) The nebulae are supposed to use the same range of colours as the stars, but due to a long-standing [wp]misbug[/wp] they actually use a much wider range often covering the whole spectrum.

(Given the relatively abstract graphics of vanilla Oolite, this strikes me as less strange than the fact that neighbouring systems have completely different arrangements of stars and nebulae.)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Ahruman wrote:
the fact that neighbouring systems have completely different arrangements of stars and nebulae.
I don't even want to think about that.

So some systems having all their stars the same colour is normal, yes?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Ahruman wrote:
(Given the relatively abstract graphics of vanilla Oolite, this strikes me as less strange than the fact that neighbouring systems have completely different arrangements of stars and nebulae.)
You only think that because in Real Life™ you have only seen pictures taken from cameras & telescopes wihin a small part of Sol's system. Once you start seeing pictures taken from a different perspective, the true nature of these supposedly distant 'nebulae' will become obvious.

Just as we think it is a long way between Earth and Sol, once we actually get into space properly, we will better relate to the distances involved and appreciate that Oolite's physics is actually accurate - it's just our primitive and parochial experience that incorrectly tells us otherwise.

Next you'll be claiming faster-than-light travel is impossible and that the speed of light in a vacuum is a constant! :lol:
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Ahruman wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
They don’t, and it isn’t. The stars have a range of colours (linear in RGB space) that’s selected randomly per system, separate from the sun colour; this has always been the case. This is a design decision from before my time. :-) The nebulae are supposed to use the same range of colours as the stars, but due to a long-standing [wp]misbug[/wp] they actually use a much wider range often covering the whole spectrum.

I was referring to the screenshots posted by El Viejo here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... start=2970 where ALL the stars appear green (with a green main star) or ALL pink (with a pinkish main star) that's why I was wondering if something odd had been introduced with 1.76 (I don't have access to 1.76 at the moment to check) - but I always remembered a distinct spread of colours in back ground stars I've never seen it where all the stars are one colour and yet EV posted images where it happened twice.
Selezen wrote:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I was referring to the screenshots posted by El Viejo here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... start=2970 where ALL the stars appear green (with a green main star) or ALL pink (with a pinkish main star)
If you look again, Esusale’s actually range from green to yellow. But I was wrong about the colours being independent; the sun is actually a paler version of the midpoint between the two star colours. In any case, this hasn’t changed recently.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Thanks for clarifying, and yes, when looking closer (and in fact using GIMP to get the RGB attributes) there's a definite range of colours there. [I'll feebly blame my LCD monitor and viewing angle distortion]
Selezen wrote:
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

I don't think the coloured stars look quite right and would be better if mainly white with a few coloured ones... but as you say snork, what does that matter? Not at all.
Oolite 1.76
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.