Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Thank you all..

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

realbrit70
Above Average
Above Average

Thank you all..

Post by realbrit70 »

I've just come across Oolite on after searching for Elite on a whim. I can't believe I've been trapped in Witchspace all this time without an Elite fix.

I spent the last couple of evenings reading the Wiki, downloading a majority of the OXPs and trying to get a handle on everything. Now I'm sitting in front of a computer at work wishing it was the control console of a Cobra MkIII. :cry:

Oolite appears to be everything I wanted Frontier to be. Beautifully textured, enhanced gameplay but with the core Elite feel, fantastic.

When my wife takes the kids and files for divorce I will be naming everyone who has been involved in the development of this game and the associated OXPs as responsible parties.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Thank you all..

Post by Cody »

realbrit70 wrote:
I've just come across Oolite on after searching for Elite on a whim. I can't believe I've been trapped in Witchspace all this time without an Elite fix.
Hi realbrit70 and welcome aboard. That's pretty close to how I felt when I found Oolite.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Azathoth
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Azathoth »

I think thats what most people think about this game. Why it isn't the most popular game in the world I will never know.

Which gets me thinking. How popular is it? Are we talking about thousands of downloads, or hundreds of thousands? Anyone got the figures?
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

realbrit70 wrote:
When my wife takes the kids and files for divorce I will be naming everyone who has been involved in the development of this game and the associated OXPs as responsible parties will neither notice nor care.
FTFY ;-)

Top tip: buy top-of-the-range new hardware now, before she takes you to the cleaners. Image "I need the computer to find a job to pay the maintenance, Your Honour"
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi and welcome.
Don't worry, Myself, Mrs Smivs and Oolite all happily co-habit. :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

The odd thing with Oolite, is how many end up not actually playing. These days I find myself testing and fiddling with the game more than playing it. I have even tried to read and understand code, which is quite scary.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Cody

Post by Cody »

Gimi wrote:
The odd thing with Oolite, is how many end up not actually playing. These days I find myself testing and fiddling with the game more than playing it.
Heh! I've stopped all that, and returned to the bridge of Rolling Thunder. I'm just a dumb pilot again, and lovin' it!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
realbrit70
Above Average
Above Average

Post by realbrit70 »

Gimi wrote:
The odd thing with Oolite, is how many end up not actually playing. These days I find myself testing and fiddling with the game more than playing it. I have even tried to read and understand code, which is quite scary.
Yeah, that part is an even greater temptation. I am a coder and am already immersed in the wiki pages on creating OXPs. I've also been trawling the forums trying to find whether the information in the wiki is up to date. Next will be downloading the source code! :D