Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

jonboy
Average
Average

Elite TNK - unknown ship

Post by jonboy »

Hi folks,
Not sure if this is the right forum, but it isn't Oolite so maybe qualifies as off-topic. Also not sure if we're allowed to discuss TNK stuff here, will delete post if not.

Anyway - have just hyperspaced into G3 in anticipation of the thargoid mission coming up, and got attacked by a ship i've never seen before, that was substantially tougher than the constrictor in the first mission. Unfortunately didn't think to take a screenshot of it, but it had a fairly plain adder shaped body with yellow / gold wings running the full length of the ship on either side.

Was this an unusual ship or are there more of them in later galaxies? It took a huge amount of military laser to take it down, and it was also packing ECM.

Jon
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Elite TNK - unknown ship

Post by Commander McLane »

It's not from Oolite. Which OXPs have you installed?
jonboy
Average
Average

Post by jonboy »

Hi McLane - yes, it's not Oolite, presumably it's in the original elite as I think elite-TNK is a faithful copy of that. However it isn't listed on Ian Bell's site in the ship's section, and also doesn't appear in the demo section when elite TNK is first started and the various ships/stations appear onscreen. I MUST KNOW WHAT SHIP IT IS! :mrgreen:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

It has to be the Cougar.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I concur with A_C - it must be the Cougar (which appeared in the BBC Master version of Elite). There's been a couple of attempts to recreate it for Oolite: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=111213

And the video from me at the bottom of this page shows how it appears on the original BBC (Master) version of the game...

Perhaps you could confirm that it's the ship you think you've seen.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
jonboy
Average
Average

Post by jonboy »

Yes, i'm pretty sure it was the cougar about 7-9 seconds in. I'm playing TNK in solid objects mode, and the 'wings' were a solid yellow colour, so can't be 100% sure but the shape looks right.

DH, what is that spherical rotating object with the 'portal' in the side in the video you posted? Another variety of space station?
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

jonboy wrote:
Yes, i'm pretty sure it was the cougar about 7-9 seconds in. I'm playing TNK in solid objects mode, and the 'wings' were a solid yellow colour, so can't be 100% sure but the shape looks right.

DH, what is that spherical rotating object with the 'portal' in the side in the video you posted? Another variety of space station?
Nope - that's another planet - on the BBC Master version, planets were given more "3D-ness" by either having two rotating axis lines or, as you saw, a sort of roving eye effect.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here