Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

No missile slots = no info?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Azathoth
Dangerous
Dangerous

No missile slots = no info?

Post by Azathoth »

Want to start as a new commander with a mean and yellow streak :twisted: . Looking to buy a small fast combat ship like the Krait.

Problem is, any ship without pylons cannot target another ship. Which means I cannot get any info from the targeting computer. Is this the case, or am I missing something?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: No missile slots = no info?

Post by Cody »

When my four pylons are empty, I resort to using 'r' for target ID.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Azathoth wrote:
Want to start as a new commander with a mean and yellow streak :twisted: . Looking to buy a small fast combat ship like the Krait.

Problem is, any ship without pylons cannot target another ship. Which means I cannot get any info from the targeting computer. Is this the case, or am I missing something?
No. Why do you think so?

I just tried it out with a ship with no missiles, and the targeting computer works perfectly. You could simply have tried it, too.
El Viejo wrote:
Ah, is that the problem? Well, that has nothing to do with having missiles or not. Under all circumstances the default key for turning the target computer on or off is (and always has been) 'R', since the days of 8bit-Elite.
Last edited by Commander McLane on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Azathoth wrote:

I'm not sure that's true.
As you're going to have to 'hack' something to get a Krait anyway, this is easy enough to sort out.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Commander McLane wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Ah, is that the problem? Well, that has nothing to do with having missiles or not. Under all circumstances the default key for turning the target computer on or off is (and always has been) 'R', since the days of 8bit-Elite.
By the way, if you only use 'R' in case you have no missiles left I'm rather happy that there's no multi-player Oolite. I wouldn't feel comfortable to know that people unnecessarily lock their missiles on my ship just to find out who I am. That's a bit like shoving a gun in a person's face when you're formally introduced to them. Or rather, like needing a telescope and resorting to using a gun sight—but with your finger on the trigger and security off. Neither of this would make me feel particularly safe. :shock: :)
Cody

Post by Cody »

<grins wickedly>
Azathoth
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Azathoth »

Commander McLane wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
By the way, if you only use 'R' in case you have no missiles left I'm rather happy that there's no multi-player Oolite. I wouldn't feel comfortable to know that people unnecessarily lock their missiles on my ship just to find out who I am. That's a bit like shoving a gun in a person's face when you're formally introduced to them. Or rather, like needing a telescope and resorting to using a gun sight—but with your finger on the trigger and security off. Neither of this would make me feel particularly safe. :shock: :)
HAHA! Thats exactly what i've been doing, using the missile lock to get info. What a fool I am. Been playing this game for 2 years and never knew another way :oops: .

Thanks guys for the quick solution to my selfmade problem :D .
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Commander McLane wrote:
By the way, if you only use 'R' in case you have no missiles left I'm rather happy that there's no multi-player Oolite. I wouldn't feel comfortable to know that people unnecessarily lock their missiles on my ship just to find out who I am.
Standard practice, isn't it? You never know, once you've ID'd them you might be glad to have a missile already locked on. You can always un-target it. :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

In my culture, approaching another ship with missile ports open is a sign of peace.

Ours is a deeply stupid culture, and the peace we seek is rarely found.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Ahruman wrote:
In my culture, approaching another ship with missile ports open is a sign of peace.
Aw man, if this had been the Science Fiction Trivia thread i actually might have been able to answer this one! :lol:
Azathoth
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Azathoth »

OT.

This is fantastic. Flying a Krait, wrong side of the law and bounty hunters using me for target practice. This is fantastic. Had more manual kills in the last hour than I've had in the last year. All this time wasted trading, when a pirate's life is what I should of had. Got so used to using hitec weaponry that I forgot that all you need is a good front lazer, injectors and an escape plan. Oh, and reading the ships manual helps :wink: .

I've just fallen in love with this game again.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Azathoth wrote:
wrong side of the law and bounty hunters using me for target practice.
I'm often on the 'wrong side of the law', and I rather enjoy hunting bounty-hunters.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Griff wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
Aw man, if this had been the Science Fiction Trivia thread i actually might have been able to answer this one! :lol:
"We come in peace!" (With weapons hot, ready to shoot to kill.) :lol:

OT, tried an Asp? In most respects it matches a Krait, but it has one missile slot. Not saying you need to put a missile on that pylon, it could carry a fuel tank or a bomb.

The con is, an Asp has no cargo space.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor