Can't scoop metal fragments

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Galileo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Can't scoop metal fragments

Post by Galileo »

Everytime I try to scoop a metal fragment it either crashes into my hull or is flinged away from me at several times the speed it was originally moving. I'm pretty sure it started happening when the new scooping process was introduced. Anyone else experiencing this?
TedJ
Deadly
Deadly

Post by TedJ »

I've noticed something similar, also with debris. While scooping it will "bounce" and not actually scoop until I slow down.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Can't scoop metal fragments

Post by TGHC »

Galileo wrote:
Everytime I try to scoop a metal fragment it either crashes into my hull or is flinged away from me at several times the speed it was originally moving. I'm pretty sure it started happening when the new scooping process was introduced. Anyone else experiencing this?
I mentioned this when the new release came out and I think Giles has mentioned tractor beam problems as well.

It certainly happens with metal fragments, and to a lesser extent with escape pods and cargo. If you flick the injectors on and off that sometimes does the trick. Hit the jump drive and it hurtles it out like a cannon ball.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Yeah. Frustrating, isn't it?

I don't even bother to try and scoop metal fragments anymore, not worth the hassle.

I hate to bring this up, but for me the tractor beam, it isn't an improvement, I have the feeling it gets in my way, rather than help.
Before, I scooped everything, at the speeds I liked, and now, lots of times, stuff keeps 'oscillating' just out of scooprange, I dunno, but it get in my sight, and I have to change speed, to let the scoops 'take it inside'. Hate it when that happens, and it happens waaay too much.

Of course: it's only scoop V 1.0, I'm sure there'll be tweaks in forthcoming updates.
TedJ
Deadly
Deadly

Post by TedJ »

It's not the scoop occasionally getting clogged that annoys me, it's when it tries to immediately re-scoop any cargo I've just jettisoned. Normal cargo pods slam into you and are destroyed, escape pods are immediately re-scooped.

I sometimes jettison valuable cargo in the heat of battle (key is too close to throttle and ecm controls) and would usually just turn around and rescoop it. Not being able to clear my holds of 8-12 tons of slaves (2-3 Cr/ton) to pick up a few "salvaged" cargo pods really gets you down too.
Flying_Circus
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Flying_Circus »

As for jammed up scoops, try slamming your anchors on - that usually unclogs things. Metal needs to be approached at very low speed: I susppect because the thin metal fragments are classed as 'lighter' than pods (even though they're, strictly speaking, 1 tonne each).

On a slightly unrelated note, what's with the wonky vector jets on the escape pods? Is that just me, seeing those?
Last edited by Flying_Circus on Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And so I gave myself to God. There was a pregnant pause before He said "OK"
Evil Juice
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Evil Juice »

In soviet systems metal frament scoops you...
Target lost
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Definitely wonky here.
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

yep, i'm seeing it too. it's been around for a few versions as well, i just didn't mention it.
edible poet? onna stick?
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

The escape pod jet problem.

Post by aegidian »

The problem occurs because the exhausts literally trail out of the exhaust positions back along where the the object has been. So if a small pod is blown sideways by (say) a nearby exploding ship, the exhaust trails flow out sideways until the thrust of the pod gets it moving forwards again..

I'll have a look at the exhaust code and see if there's anything that can be done.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

so what you're saying is that it is in fact simulating reality, it's our pre-conceived perceptions that are all messed up?

:P
edible poet? onna stick?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Basically, the exhaust plumes are too bendy. think of it in terms of particles… for the plumes to bend the amount they do, each particle of fuel has to be moving pretty slowly relative to the generating ship (which isn’t consistent with what happens when you accelerate/decelerate).
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Flying_Circus wrote:
As for jammed up scoops, try slamming your anchors on - that usually unclogs things.
Sure, but as I said: it gets in the way rather than being helpful. Before the tractorbeam, none of this accellerating/decelerating dance was necc. to scoop stuff...
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

hmm, i'm inclined to agree with Rxke. it's just kinda annoying, i fin.d especially when something get stuck in the cargo scoop and there's that "rising tones" thing going on like a cracked record.
edible poet? onna stick?
Cmdr. Wombat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Cmdr. Wombat »

I haven't tried scooping metal fragments - the payoff doesn't seem worth the effort of chasing them down - but I have found that scooping cargo pods and Tharglets* at about quarter speed seems to get the job done without having to do the velocity dance.

* I've scooped untold numbers of Tharglets recently while playtesting the Thargoid Wars oxp. I'm getting tired of the bloody things...
It is generally inadvisable to eject over the target you just bombed.