Could not dock at rock hermit using rev 335 build

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Could not dock at rock hermit using rev 335 build

Post by dajt »

I decided to try docking at a rock hermit for once, and the autopilot took me right into the docking bay, and then... nothing.

I went out and tried manually, and when I was all the way in the docking bay I slowed down until only one bar was showing on the speed. I drifted straight through and out the other side!
Regards,
David Taylor.
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Yep, that sounds familiar - same happened to me in the main OSX dev version v1.63. :lol: :lol:

You could come to a stop but still weren't docked!! :shock:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Commander Gralen
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Gralen »

Oooh really? sounds fun!
*Zooms straight at a rock hermit*

CRASH

Press spacebar
I am not worthy of thy presence! Now get out of here!
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

I decided to try the windows version (svn r380 Build - 29/03/06) today, and the same thing happened a few times, but with normal space stations.

I also had quite a lot of framedrops. I expected this fairly beefy machine (3 GHz PIV, 512 MB RAM) to be able to crank around oolite with no sweat, but maybe this shows just how good Intel's graphic chips really are. :^)
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Eeek... still getting 'transparent' rock hermits - found 2 in one system, couldn't dock at either - just sailed majestically through them... :shock:
(I know, I should have got a screen shot. Next time perhaps!)

Not getting the frame rate drops some are finding, though...

v1.64, 2.5GHz DualG5, 2.5GB, ATI9600XL, OSX 10.4.6
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Lucidor wrote:
I also had quite a lot of framedrops. I expected this fairly beefy machine (3 GHz PIV, 512 MB RAM) to be able to crank around oolite with no sweat, but maybe this shows just how good Intel's graphic chips really are. :^)
If you're using the Intel onboard 3D chipset, well, I'm afraid it's not very good. You could have a 5THz processor and it would make hardly a jot of difference.

To demonstrate what I mean, I have access to a 2GHz P4 system with Intel onboard graphics. It never gets more than about 10-15fps if there's anything to be drawn. On my 2GHz P4 system with an nVidia GeForce 4200ti on the other hand, the frame rate is usually pegged at 100fps.

Once your processor gets above about the 500MHz mark (so it seems from slower Macs with reasonable graphics card - I don't have access to a machine that slow to try it out), how many FPS you get out of Oolite is entirely about how good your graphics card and drivers are. My 1.3GHz PowerBook with (IIRC) nVidia graphics whips a 2GHz P4 with Intel graphics at Oolite.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Star Gazer wrote:
Eeek... still getting 'transparent' rock hermits - found 2 in one system, couldn't dock at either - just sailed majestically through them... :shock:
Mmm. I think I'm close to replicating this problem - usually the first step to fixing it.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

winston wrote:
If you're using the Intel onboard 3D chipset, well, I'm afraid it's not very good. You could have a 5THz processor and it would make hardly a jot of difference. at Oolite.
With ordinary graphic chips as those from ATI or nVidia yes, but doesn't Intel's graphics use the CPU to render much of the graphics? In that case a faster CPU should give faster graphics too.