OXP Suggestion: Stretch Adders

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Potential Debris
Dangerous
Dangerous

OXP Suggestion: Stretch Adders

Post by Potential Debris »

I've tried creating a ship but I fear it is beyond my skills / time, so I thought I'd share an idea I had for a new ship in the Ooniverse, in the hopes that someone else will be inspired to create it: The Stretch Adder.

As you might expect from the name, it is simply a loooong version of the adder. Available in hot pink or pure white (sometimes with disco lights in the windows), they are often seen cruising the space lanes and atmosphere of any planet that boasts a "hoopy nightlife", ferrying crowds of drunken young women to hen nights and proms. If you fly close enough, you might just be able to hear crappy pop music blaring out from the passenger compartment.[1]

They aren't a popular choice for pirates or bounty hunters, so don't expect one of these to attack you. However they do make inviting targets for ne'er-do-wells, and aren't well-equipped to defend themselves so don't be surprised if you find one squawking for help. They have no room for cargo (having traded all cargo space for unremovable passenger berths) but will usually spit out a few escape capsules upon destruction.

Available for sale here and there because, despite being overpriced and poorly-specced in just about every way that matters, they come with a really cool HUD in sparkly pink and tinsel...

[1] Yeah I know, no sound waves in space. Sue me.
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: OXP Suggestion: Stretch Adders

Post by RyanHoots »

Interesting idea. I like it. :D
The model won't be hard to do, I can get it done quickly. But I'm horrible at making textures, so I can't do much there. Maybe a group effort?
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

All I can say to this idea is.... Good luck to finding someone to do this one for you! :P
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Is this the kind of ship you want, or should I go longer?
Potential Debris
Dangerous
Dangerous

Wow... that was quick work, and a nice model already. I have to say that one doesn't look much longer than normal to me, but that could be the angles... The idea is that someone has taken two or three regular adders and cut&shut them together to make a stretch.

Ultimately, however, the artistic decisions ought to be made by you, RH, seeing as you've actually put vectors to paper and started modelling the thing!

However if you want my opinion, you need to make it a longer that this: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Adder_(Oolite)
but shorter than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmo1Sjn7dg
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Potential Debris wrote:
Wow... that was quick work, and a nice model already. I have to say that one doesn't look much longer than normal to me, but that could be the angles... The idea is that someone has taken two or three regular adders and cut&shut them together to make a stretch.
Ok, going longer... :D
Potential Debris wrote:
Ultimately, however, the artistic decisions ought to be made by you, RH, seeing as you've actually put vectors to paper and started modelling the thing!
I'm open to ideas, always. Besides, this is your idea in the first place. :)
Potential Debris wrote:
However if you want my opinion, you need to make it a longer that this: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Adder_(Oolite)
but shorter than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmo1Sjn7dg
Is this good?
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Did you know there is already a sort of stretched Adder? Namely the Refugee Adder:

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Refugee_Adder

Not for the same purpose but nevertheless a stretched one :)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

pagroove wrote:
Did you know there is already a sort of stretched Adder? Namely the Refugee Adder:

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Refugee_Adder

Not for the same purpose but nevertheless a stretched one :)
Interesting... I'd never heard of that. :)
Potential Debris
Dangerous
Dangerous

RH: Yeah, that definitely looks longer than a regular adder. I like the engine bits at the back.

Just out of curiosity, is that built from scratch or are you tweaking an existing adder model?

PAG: No, I wasn't aware of that. It's a nice ship and concept, but from the images on the wiki it doesn't look much like an adder any more.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I do not have the Refugee adder installed atm but I did know it from browsing the Wiki. :D
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Potential Debris wrote:
Just out of curiosity, is that built from scratch or are you tweaking an existing adder model?.
I'm tweaking the standard Addder model. I've experimented with making the standard ships from scratch, but I never found out how to do the Adder. I'm getting close, but not close enough.
Potential Debris wrote:
RH: Yeah, that definitely looks longer than a regular adder.
Good. :)
Potential Debris wrote:
I like the engine bits at the back.
Thanks. 8)
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

:D nice idea
If you fly close enough, you might just be able to hear crappy pop music blaring out from the passenger compartment.[1]
Is this possible - to have an npc ship make some musicfile play, with or without some "proximity-trigger" ?
Potential Debris
Dangerous
Dangerous

snork wrote:
:D nice idea
If you fly close enough, you might just be able to hear crappy pop music blaring out from the passenger compartment.[1]
Is this possible - to have an npc ship make some musicfile play, with or without some "proximity-trigger" ?
If not, have the music/ party sounds play constantly whenever you have customers in the back of your stretch. The music should be *really* annoying.

untissuntissuntissuntissuntissuntissuntissuntissuntissuntissuntissuntiss.....
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

pagroove wrote:
I do not have the Refugee adder installed atm but I did know it from browsing the Wiki. :D
Do you have the OXP? I tried to find it several times to no avail, would very much like it if it's sitting on someone's dusty virtual shelf..
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Potential Debris wrote:
...ferrying crowds of drunken young women to hen nights and proms. If you fly close enough, you might just be able to hear crappy pop music blaring out from the passenger compartment...they come with a really cool HUD in sparkly pink and tinsel...
snork wrote:
What could be done is a modified AI and JS script for this particular ship and have random 10 second music clips play when the ship comm messages you for some stupid reasons, see topic stoned pilots for some, just mostly stupid chatter. Can be done. I'll put a cool pink and tinsel hud on my to do list when "equipment_required" is enabled for images and text in the hud.plists, whenever that happens. This could be the beginning of a really cool nuance or flare to add to the game. Perhaps one could buy this ship as part of a mission oxp and become a limo-driver and have all sorts of randomly generated missions. The really cool missions would involve a dedicated limo-ship with the ultimate missions being on the scale of hauling Zaphod Beeblebrox around and most any other ship with 2 Passenger Berths could do the low to mid level limo-driver missions. Just think of all the possibilities that could come of this. :D Great idea! :idea:

It's O.K. I'm a limo-driver! :lol:

:lol:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs