Oolite.ca

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Oolite.ca

Post by Gimi »

Found the Oolite.ca website by accident. Also has a twitter account. (I'm not linking, see below)
Seems to be a newly started Canadian company. No idea what they are doing, but the privacy statement on their website is not to my liking. Looks like they intend to harvest personal information and sell it on.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Oolite.ca

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Hmmm....
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Looks like data-mining doesn't it? Nothing to do with us and unlikely to effect us in any way, but annoying that they chose that name. Short of buying-up every 'oolite' domain there's nothing we can do to stop other people/groups/companies from using the title. Has anyone thought about/looked into registering 'Oolite' as a trademark or similar.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Smivs wrote:
Looks like data-mining doesn't it? Nothing to do with us and unlikely to effect us in any way, but annoying that they chose that name. Short of buying-up every 'oolite' domain there's nothing we can do to stop other people/groups/companies from using the title. Has anyone thought about/looked into registering 'Oolite' as a trademark or similar.
Given that oolite is also a type of rock (containing small fossilised sea shells I believe) - I don't suppose it could be copyrighted anyway...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Words like Oolite, that have a meaning, can be registered when used as a name in a specific context. Hence apple the fruit, Apple Computers and Apple Records. The two latter are registered.

In this case, if they register Oolite in a computer related setting, they could theoretically claim rights within that domain if it overlaps with Oolite.

(My 1K post :D )
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Gimi wrote:
(My 1K post)
Cool... here's to the next 1,000!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

You may be overlooking the whole can of worms of (not) having a proper license from Mr. David Braben...
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
You may be overlooking the whole can of worms of (not) having a proper license from Mr. David Braben...
Yes and no, that one has been debated quite recently and I am, as most of us are, aware of it. I had no intention of reopening that can. I just wanted to point at another potential issue. I doubt this one will cause any problems, but there is also the issue of the somewhat iffy privacy statement on the site. Not something I would want to be associated with, even by name only. Not much we can do though.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

There could be anything behind that login screen. Marketing, advertising, bespoke jewellery, atrocity or chicken fancying.

The fact their vetting the log ons means they a) want specific people or b) they want anyone but make it look exclusive.

Worth watching just in case.