Got another CTD.

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Got another CTD.

Post by Switeck »

Or you could install from scratch into a separate folder...and test first with no OXPs, then add them till it crashes.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Actually had suspicions about two OXP's, and removed both, guess what, visited 5 systems, and no crashes.

The OXPs are Far Arm Ships and the new Liners. My suspicions are that they are large OXPs and use lots of shader effects, which my machine can't use.

Will try to see which of the two it is, but not tonight as I'm knackered! If its Far Arm Ships, I would be annoyed as I wanted to buy a Tanker ship soon.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

JazHaz wrote:
Actually had suspicions about two OXP's, and removed both, guess what, visited 5 systems, and no crashes.

The OXPs are Far Arm Ships and the new Liners. My suspicions are that they are large OXPs and use lots of shader effects, which my machine can't use.

Will try to see which of the two it is, but not tonight as I'm knackered! If its Far Arm Ships, I would be annoyed as I wanted to buy a Tanker ship soon.
Put back Liners OXP and left out Far Arm Ships (:lol: keep wanting to type Farm Ships haha).

No crashes at all.

One thing that might have been causing problems, with Far Arm Ships, was that the Titan cruiser was causing warning messages in my log stating it was too big to launch.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Could be the size of the textures: sometimes drivers don't seem to check if the video memory is big enough to accommodate all the textures... :(
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

JazHaz wrote:
Put back Liners OXP...

No crashes at all.
Phew! :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Kaks wrote:
Could be the size of the textures: sometimes drivers don't seem to check if the video memory is big enough to accommodate all the textures... :(
Hmmm thats a point. I think there is a way to limit texture size somewhere.....?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

You can set a max texture size in .GNUstepDefaults.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Hidden ... _in_Oolite

Also setting 'reduced detail' on the options screen will reduce all textures by 50%.

As a suggestion you could systematically run through the far arm shipdata, and change the roleset for each ship in turn to something so it won't get spawned e.g. roles = "dontspawnme"; and play for a while to try and find which ship is causing the problem. I had it installed a while ago and don't recall any crashes, and have recently reinstalled (as they are beautiful ships) but haven't really played since.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Ow, hope the cause of CTDs in Far Arm ships really is the textures being "big".

As for the Titan launch warning, I've almost completed version 3 which takes care of it (set role police to zero probability, and use a script to place the ships sometimes on the 'lanes).

Version 3 does use better optimised textures, so at least their filesize is generally smaller. I can of course make a "lite" version of it, which will have reduced-sized (512x512 instead of 1024x1024) textures and no normalmaps.
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM