[Solved] wormholes in interstellar space not quite fixed yet

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Solved] wormholes in interstellar space not quite fixed

Post by Switeck »

A couple other people have tested my OXPs and not experienced crashes.

The problem in this case may be due to my exact system setup:
Windows XP Pro SP3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 video card, 4 GB DDR-3 SDRAM, and minimal other software installed on the computer.

The other computer I had crashes on is using onboard video card by Intel with Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset. It has the same OS and ram amounts.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Yep, we tried a few more times, but couldn't reproduce CTDs, and memory usage is consistent with normal jumps.

Your stack trace pointed at one system dll before the crash, the exact windows configuration might well be relevant.

However, there's a glimmer of hope: considering that your crashes seem to be more reproducible the faster the jumps are, you might be able to avoid crashes by adding a couple of seconds between witchclouds...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Switeck wrote:
The problem in this case may be due to my exact system setup:
Windows XP Pro SP3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 video card, 4 GB DDR-3 SDRAM, and minimal other software installed on the computer.
Might help if you told your exact system setup.
What motherboard?
BIOS version?
Which brand the GTS is?
What drivers you use for the GTS?
What settings you have on nVidia control panel for Oolite?
Which brand/model are your RAM sticks?
How many/big RAM sticks?
What is your MoBo's FSB and @ what speed you run your RAM?
What processor?
Any overclocking?
Which other programs/processes run in the background when you test/play Oolite?

The nvoglnt.dll in your stack trace points to nVidia OpenGL drivers - if Kaks's latest suggestion doesn't fix the problem, you could try installing latest nVidia WHQL (seems to be 285.58 now) drivers (remember to properly uninstall previous version, you could also create a system restore point before the operation, just in case).

I could do some testing too, as I recently changed my GFX to an nVidia one.
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I don't recall all this information, so I'll answer what I can easily find.

Intel 82801BA motherboard
Intel Core i5 650 @3.2 Ghz cpu
Nothing is overclocked.
2 ram sticks, 2 GB each.

I am running this driver file:
285.58-desktop-winxp-32bit-english-whql.exe

Zieman, look for a PM from me. :lol:
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Your system clearly has more grunt than mine, so I'll expect to get lots of CTDs tonight :).

[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Zieman wrote:
Your system clearly has more grunt than mine, so I'll expect to get lots of CTDs tonight :).
Well, so far I've been disappointed. :)

My test setup:
WinXP pro SP3 (32 bit)
Asus P5B Deluxe
2 x 2 Gigs Kingston HyperX @ stock timings/spd
Core2Duo E6600 (Conroe) @ 2400 MHz (= stock)
Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 (ASUS, slight OC: Core 650 & Memory 880 MHz) 1024 MB, 285.58 drivers
SB X-Fi
Oolite 1.75.4.4651
GPU-Z, Asus PC Probe II, F-Secure, D3DOverrider, SB Volume panel & Nvidia control panel running in background.

Closest to a crash I got when after about 1400 consecutive wormholes (checked from Latest.log) I stopped the ship & tried to dock with a Generation Ship - Game Over, pressed Space and then Oolite froze. Waited a couple of minutes & closed Oolite from Task Manager. This with 78 OXPs installed.

With only the problematic jumperOXP & my ridiculous testship OXP installed, I got about 9300 consecutive wormholes (checked from Latest.log) until I got bored and quit the game, to check Latest.log. This with TAF @ 16x.

With all OXPs in use, the jumperOXP halted after 1 - 10 consecutive wormholes with TAF @ 16x, I could start the 'machine' as many times I wanted, and every time it halted after 1 - 10 consecutive wormholes.

And these errors

Code: Select all

22:43:12.890 [script.javaScript.unrootedTimer]: ----- WARNING: Timer <OOJSTimer 0xd59fb70>{nextTime: 2493.28, one-shot, running, function: anonymous} is being garbage-collected while still running. You must keep a reference to all running timers, or they will stop unpredictably!
22:43:12.906 [script.javaScript.unrootedTimer]: ----- WARNING: Timer <OOJSTimer 0x7128270>{nextTime: 2492.46, one-shot, running, function: anonymous} is being garbage-collected while still running. You must keep a reference to all running timers, or they will stop unpredictably!
22:43:12.906 [script.javaScript.unrootedTimer]: ----- WARNING: Timer <OOJSTimer 0x87bdc40>{nextTime: 2490.17, one-shot, running, function: anonymous} is being garbage-collected while still running. You must keep a reference to all running timers, or they will stop unpredictably!
22:43:12.906 [script.javaScript.unrootedTimer]: ----- WARNING: Timer <OOJSTimer 0xc171f08>{nextTime: 2492.92, one-shot, running, function: anonymous} is being garbage-collected while still running. You must keep a reference to all running timers, or they will stop unpredictably!
appear with an interval of about 300 consecutive wormholes, in packs of 3-6 (78 OXPs in use, TAF @ 1x)).

They did not appear with only those 2 aforementioned OXPs installed, but this error

22:10:46.062 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (owt2o_jumper 0.42.2 - for Oolite 1.75 and later): TypeError: System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber, system.ID).routeToSystem(System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber, owt2o_pathArray[0]), "OPTIMIZED_BY_JUMPS") is null
I got when I paused and restarted the game from P-F2-menu without deactivating the equipment first (only test ship & the problematic jumper OXP installed).

EDIT: I got to the destination 3 times, got stranded to nearest neighbour or in Witchspace in between the destination and closest system 10-15 times (depending on how you treat interrupted wormhole loops) and got stuck in a wormhole loop (those big amounts of consecutive wormholes of course resulted from these loops) about 20 times.

[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Zieman wrote:
They did not appear with only those 2 aforementioned OXPs installed, but this error

22:10:46.062 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (owt2o_jumper 0.42.2 - for Oolite 1.75 and later): TypeError: System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber, system.ID).routeToSystem(System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber, owt2o_pathArray[0]), "OPTIMIZED_BY_JUMPS") is null
I got when I paused and restarted the game from P-F2-menu without deactivating the equipment first (only test ship & the problematic jumper OXP installed).
I am at a complete loss how come that JavaScript exception was thrown out, since the very IF statement that includes the System.infoForSystem part has as a requirement everything that would prevent that from being null:

if(system.ID != owt2o_pathArray[0] && owt2o_pathArray.length > 1 && owt2o_pathArray[0] < 256)
For the resulting path to be null, you'd almost have to be in interstellar space...but an IF in the code above that line checks for exactly that, preventing the code from even reaching the "bad" line in that case! The equipment should only be calling that code in the first place the moment it's activated (when you press N) -- even a fraction of a second later (regardless what you do), that code should already have run once. And that code won't run again till the equipment is activated again.

The huge number of failures and wormhole loops are to be expected for that OXP. It's very much an experimental test.
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Switeck wrote:
I am at a complete loss how come that JavaScript exception was thrown out, since the very IF statement that includes the System.infoForSystem part has as a requirement everything that would prevent that from being null
I quess it happened because there was an open wormhole created by the OXP and the equipment was still primed / in use when I paused and restarted the game (had to bring my ship to a complete halt in the middle of a wromhole loop to do so). And I think I was in Witchspace at that point.

[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I can explicitly say I cannot duplicate that. :(
What's more I'm not sure what you meant by "the equipment was still primed / in use"? :?

The act of priming/firing the equipment using the activate equipment key (typically N) takes probably less than 1/20th of a second. After that moment, it's not in a "just started"/primed state. It's simply running/in use.

I'm completely unable to both prime the equipment AND hit pause AND hit F2 all within the 1/100th to 1/20th of a second window.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Zieman wrote:
Closest to a crash I got when after about 1400 consecutive wormholes (checked from Latest.log) I stopped the ship & tried to dock with a Generation Ship - Game Over, pressed Space and then Oolite froze. Waited a couple of minutes & closed Oolite from Task Manager. This with 78 OXPs installed.
Could you have a look and see if you can reproduce this problem fairly consistently?
And, very important this, did you use 1.75.3 or a trunk build for your tests?
This might be bug #18322 - Can't reset javascript, which was 'hopefully fixed' (couldn't reproduce it, but code analysis showed 2 possible reasons for such an error) in rev4648.

Switeck, for the pause thing:
prime the equipment at normal speed, press P, change TAF to 16x, exit pause.

Press N, the jump chain starts, press P. Sure enough you're in pause mode in the middle of the jump chain.

You should then be able to press F2. Me, I've just done all that, and I managed to get stuck in pause mode while in the hyperspace tunnel - which at TAF1 is impossible to do - some keys work (shift-F, O), but some, including F2 and P(!), don't seem to do anything.
Yay, found something to fix! :)
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Kaks wrote:
Me, I've just done all that, and I managed to get stuck in pause mode while in the hyperspace tunnel - which at TAF1 is impossible to do - some keys work (shift-F, O), but some, including F2 and P(!), don't seem to do anything.
You could also hit P while docking/launching from a station. It normally won't work, because those moments are outside player control...but if it does, (because you timed the P at just as it started) you'd probably be stuck there too.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Switeck wrote:

System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber, system.ID).routeToSystem(System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber, owt2o_pathArray[0]), "OPTIMIZED_BY_JUMPS") is null
I am at a complete loss how come that JavaScript exception was thrown out, since the very IF statement that includes the System.infoForSystem part has as a requirement everything that would prevent that from being null
It would be null for example when calculating a route to one of the unreachable systems.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Switeck wrote:
Kaks wrote:
Me, I've just done all that, and I managed to get stuck in pause mode while in the hyperspace tunnel - which at TAF1 is impossible to do - some keys work (shift-F, O), but some, including F2 and P(!), don't seem to do anything.
You could also hit P while docking/launching from a station. It normally won't work, because those moments are outside player control...but if it does, (because you timed the P at just as it started) you'd probably be stuck there too.
Fixed in rev4663.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Eric Walch wrote:
Switeck wrote:

System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber, system.ID).routeToSystem(System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber, owt2o_pathArray[0]), "OPTIMIZED_BY_JUMPS") is null
It would be null for example when calculating a route to one of the unreachable systems.
Ironically, the code makes that impossible to happen -- a similar error would trigger elsewhere first. :lol: However...what was probably happening is it was trying to find a route FROM an unreachable system while also targeting the same unreachable system as a destination on the F6 short range chart despite owt2o_pathArray[0] (which is the start of a pre-programmed route to the unreachable system) being another system that's unconnected to the unreachable systems. That solves the particular null bug, (which is all my fault) unlikely though those conditions seem, but that bug is not cause or related to the CTD bug (only?) I'm having.
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Kaks wrote:
Zieman wrote:
Could you have a look and see if you can reproduce this problem fairly consistently?
And, very important this, did you use 1.75.3 or a trunk build for your tests?
This might be bug #18322 - Can't reset javascript, which was 'hopefully fixed' (couldn't reproduce it, but code analysis showed 2 possible reasons for such an error) in rev4648.
I used trunk 4651
Zieman wrote:
Oolite 1.75.4.4651
:)

Now I did some more testing, only difference being trunk version 4660.
Used the equipment three times. Arrived at the intended destination three times out of three :shock:.
Latest.log shows

00:21:32.968 [44]: 7.2, 133, 1133
00:21:35.765 [45]: 6.8, 133, 133
00:21:38.609 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (TCAT_missionScript 1.0): TypeError: System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber, system.ID).routeToSystem(System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber, 168)) is null
00:21:38.609 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       ../AddOns/TCAT 1.10.oxp/Scripts/TCAT_missionScript.js, line 314.
00:21:49.484 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (owt2o_jumper 0.42.2 - for Oolite 1.75 and later): TypeError: System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber, system.ID).routeToSystem(System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber, player.ship.targetSystem), "OPTIMIZED_BY_TIME") is null
00:21:49.484 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       ../AddOns/OneWayTicket2Oresrati v0.43 STRIPPED.oxp/Scripts/owt2o_autoJumper.js, line 34.
00:23:29.812 [script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 73 world scripts:
after first try got completed (2 last jumps and beginning statement of script loading after I destroyed my ship by flying it to the side of Coriolis included)

Similarly cropped snippet after second try (flew my ship to Sun):

00:24:57.593 [43]: 7.2, 133, 1133
00:25:00.593 [44]: 6.8, 133, 133
00:25:02.656 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (TCAT_missionScript 1.0): TypeError: System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber, system.ID).routeToSystem(System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber, 168)) is null
00:25:02.656 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       ../AddOns/TCAT 1.10.oxp/Scripts/TCAT_missionScript.js, line 314.
00:26:16.843 [script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 73 world scripts:
And after the last one (Shift+Q):

00:27:22.546 [40]: 6.8, 133, 2133
00:27:22.546 [40]: 6.8, 133, 1133
00:27:25.343 [script.javaScript.unrootedTimer]: ----- WARNING: Timer <OOJSTimer 0x895c360>{nextTime: 418.561, one-shot, running, function: anonymous} is being garbage-collected while still running. You must keep a reference to all running timers, or they will stop unpredictably!
00:27:25.343 [script.javaScript.unrootedTimer]: ----- WARNING: Timer <OOJSTimer 0x7f2ddb0>{nextTime: 422.101, one-shot, running, function: anonymous} is being garbage-collected while still running. You must keep a reference to all running timers, or they will stop unpredictably!
00:27:25.343 [script.javaScript.unrootedTimer]: ----- WARNING: Timer <OOJSTimer 0x18e3eff8>{nextTime: 381.656, one-shot, running, function: anonymous} is being garbage-collected while still running. You must keep a reference to all running timers, or they will stop unpredictably!
00:27:25.343 [script.javaScript.unrootedTimer]: ----- WARNING: Timer <OOJSTimer 0x171e37f0>{nextTime: 380.076, one-shot, running, function: anonymous} is being garbage-collected while still running. You must keep a reference to all running timers, or they will stop unpredictably!
00:27:27.937 [41]: 0.4, 133, 133
00:27:29.625 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (TCAT_missionScript 1.0): TypeError: System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber, system.ID).routeToSystem(System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber, 168)) is null
00:27:29.625 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       ../AddOns/TCAT 1.10.oxp/Scripts/TCAT_missionScript.js, line 314.
00:27:49.390 [gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM