[WIP] PovrayPlanets

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

submersible
Commodore
Commodore

[WIP] PovrayPlanets

Post by submersible »

Hello all,

I am a long time fan of elite and have greatly enjoyed recently playing Oolite with some of the Griff and Famous Planets OXP's. I would like to gather some advice about my idea to algorithmically generate textures for all planet/galaxy combinations - based on each planet's random seed.

I think i have devised a way to use povray/megapov to render a cube map rather than a lat-long map, and have tested by generating a few textures by hand.

Some of the other posts regarding planetinfo type OXPs suggests to me that it would be desirable for some mechanism allowing OXPs to co-operate when there is contention for the Xpansion of planets.

Sample planet - gas giant

Sample planet - Semi martian

Any and all wisdom and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Last edited by submersible on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: [WIP] PovrayPlanets

Post by Cody »

Hi submersible... no wisdom from me, just a 'welcome aboard!'
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hmm, what do you want to happen when both your planets and System Redux are loaded together? And Famous {lanets? And Deep Horizon? What about System Demux?

To keep things simple to start with, I'd only have PovrayPlanets in the AddOns folder, and only add the others (1 at a time!!) & associated cooperating code at a later stage.

We should be able to help with a few examples of code you could use to achieve your aims. That is, as long as you're clear about which texture should be shown for each planet, for any of those oxp combinations, which might be the most tricky bit to figure out... :)

In any case, you can always look at the way famous planets works with the other ones, that should give you an idea or two on how best to get the results you want! ;)

And welcome to the friendliest board this side of Riedquat (tm)!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Kaks wrote:
Hmm, what do you want to happen when both your planets and System Redux are loaded together? And Famous {lanets? And Deep Horizon? What about System Demux?
For the time being I would think that PovrayPlanets would just get-out-of-the-way in deference to more mature OXPs - only manipulating the planet texture in the absence of another OXP making that change. Of course the System Redux/Remux looks like it will hog every system it can.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

It might be worth thinking about adding your textures to one of the existing planet texturers?
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

JazHaz wrote:
It might be worth thinking about adding your textures to one of the existing planet texturers?
This is good advice - i might discuss with the Deep Horizons project , that OXP looks very tasty. Especially for a 'BETA'
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Hi submersible. If you like you can and have the permission from me to take the Famous Planetes 2.5. (adopt the OXP because I don't have the time for it anymore) package and add the new textures in that package. In the config dir of Famous Planets is a file plantesinfo.plist (I believe) where you can see which planets are already textured. You can then build on that list. Beware that FP currently only does Galaxy 1 + 2 So in Galaxy 3 and on to 8 you have to do ALL the textures.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

The updated script for Famous Planets (v2.5.1) does not use the planetinfo.plist for textures anymore. It's all done on the fly via JS. Same for System Redux (1.2.2).

If you need more infos - just whistle .-)
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

I have a rewrite of DH-Systems that was designed to allow Redux, Demux, FP, and DH-Systems all to coexist (given a small amount of code added to the others... Less than 10 lines IIRC). It also allowed the mini-planets on the Planet Info screen to appear properly from anywhere. I have not published it because there were some unacceptable (to me) bloating caused within the save-game file. If you want, I can let you take a peak if you think it would help any?
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

:oops: :oops: :oops: Svengali is right. :).
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709