Ideas and Thanks

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Looking
Poor
Poor

Re: Ideas and Thanks

Post by Looking »

Hi all. And thanks for all the responses to my post.
I am about to go out and do some voluntary work right now. So I don't have the time to respond properly, but will do ASAP.
Reading through it all looks very helpful.
Thanks Dave

PS. Love the talking compass.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

The Nuit thing has been mentioned several times. maybe i should add something to the OXP to clarify, but : the Nuit was an aborted OXP, but after discussion some people felt it might be worth a release anyway. so i packaged it up w/ the test spawn script. there are no specific spawn/placement scripts for her, the idea was she was free for anyone to adopt/play w/ etc.
Looking
Poor
Poor

Post by Looking »

Some replies to the post as I have numbered them below.

Post 2 Smivs
Thanks for the welcome Smivs.

Post 3 Micha
When it comes to using the fuel injection button in a locked position i was thinking about planets that have few if any fugitives that need dispatching. I mostly like to play a legal game and let the innocent go free. Some times the (I) button needs to be held down from arrival in the system all the way to the station. Perhaps it could be set for players like me so that it unlocks when a fugitive or offender comes on the radar. Perhaps this is only for a certain playing style and wouldn't be for everyone.
I found while chasing after the Vector ships using the (i) button was necessary. The Vectors are much faster than my Boa. To do away with the (I) button completely would perhaps be bad for pilots in slower ships. Although I can tell you like to add extra challenge into the game as you get better at playing.

Post 6 Mauiby de Fug
So Nuit.oxp is an unfinished work. I have put it to one side, but it does look like it has potential to be a good station.

Post 8 DaddyHoggy
The multiple Constore has only happen once or twice. I am wondering if it happened when I had Nuit.oxp installed. Could one affect the other? I haven't tried it to see.
Would it help to have a register for the compass letters somewhere on the forum.
On the Vector scooping you are probably correct the subject is not something I know much about but thought I should mention it all the same.

Post 9 Svengali
It took me a long time to hear the different sounds of the original laser fire. Seems like I need to listen more closely and maybe I will be able to pick up on the new sounds.
Your total correct about the over heat sound. Personal preference it is. Its just that every time I hear it I think Clangers. Yet there is nothing wrong with the sound.
Sounds while on pause I find annoying but I can see that no one what's to mess with the original program in such a way, unless it was on there own personal copy.
On the Vector scooping you are probably correct the subject is not something I know much about but thought I should mention it all the same.

Post 10 Thargoid
Same colours on the radar. These thing are certain to happen when lots of people put there work together like this.
The flight log I find helpful. In each Galaxy I like to visit every planet. I use a screen snapshot/grab of the galaxy map and cross them off as I visit each one. If I forget to cross some off I can use the log to look back. The credits I think also can be put down to personal taste too many may prefer it just as it is.
Hyper cargo/Ironhide. It seems like a few of the things I have spotted are down to the restrictions of the original program and expanding on it.

Post 13 cim
That's even better than what I was thinking. Thanks cim.

Post 14 Capt Murphy.
Thanks I shall take a look shortly.

Post 15 Thargoid
Thanks I shall take a look shortly.

Thanks again everyone.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Looking wrote:
Post 8 DaddyHoggy
Would it help to have a register for the compass letters somewhere on the forum.
There is a list, but its on the wiki, and not on the forum. I put the list together some time ago, so it may be out of date (and I don't have wiki access to update it any more). Find it here.

EDIT: One that changed on the list, that I've noticed recently, is a "star" for the Galactic Navy Seccom Station, which used to be "S". Perhaps someone with Wiki access can update the list?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Looking wrote:
The flight log I find helpful. In each Galaxy I like to visit every planet. I use a screen snapshot/grab of the galaxy map and cross them off as I visit each one. If I forget to cross some off I can use the log to look back.
I desperately want an Explorers' Club OXP to automate that process. One could gradually rise through the ranks and - only by visiting all 2048 planets - become president of the Explorers' Club.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

JazHaz wrote:
One that changed on the list, that I've noticed recently, is a "star" for the Galactic Navy Seccom Station, which used to be "S". Perhaps someone with Wiki access can update the list?
Thanks to Eric Walch for updating the wiki! :)
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

JazHaz wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
One that changed on the list, that I've noticed recently, is a "star" for the Galactic Navy Seccom Station, which used to be "S". Perhaps someone with Wiki access can update the list?
Thanks to Eric Walch for updating the wiki! :)
That star was actually new to me when I read your lines. When looking inside my version 5.4.2, I noticed it contained the definitions for the star, but was coded wrong so that only a 'S' appeared. But apparently we have already a version 5.4.3 were this 'star thing' is fixed and on the compass. I noticed the 5 pointed star has an unicode (★) and should be visible in the wiki page as star on most browsers. (I hope)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Eric Walch wrote:
I noticed the 5 pointed star has an unicode (★) and should be visible in the wiki page as star on most browsers. (I hope)
It does on Chrome and on Firefox.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

JazHaz wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
I noticed the 5 pointed star has an unicode (★) and should be visible in the wiki page as star on most browsers. (I hope)
It does on Chrome and on Firefox.
As well as on Mobile Safari
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Yep, I get the star on Opera as well :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

And on Opera mini as well.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Wildeblood wrote:
I desperately want an Explorers' Club OXP to automate that process. One could gradually rise through the ranks and - only by visiting all 2048 planets - become president of the Explorers' Club.
Discussion split to Explorers' Club OXP thread.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Smivs wrote:
me does not, :( Opera 10.10.

But I am more and more convinced Opera should vanish from existence anyways.
at least as Browser for full-PCs ...
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

snork wrote:
Smivs wrote:
me does not, :( Opera 10.10.
Current Opera version is 11.52.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

snork wrote:
But I am more and more convinced Opera should vanish from existence anyways.
I hope not! It's a brilliant browser and as far as I know is the only one with built-in email and irc clients, both of which I use. It's just so convenient having all three web functions I need open in tabs on the same desktop.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.