Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How do you deal with missiles

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Vvlad
Above Average
Above Average

How do you deal with missiles

Post by Vvlad »

I keep getting blow out of space by pesky hardened missiles, usually after blasting the miscreant who launched the thing just before he died. How do I stop the things blowing me apart, obviously ECM doesn't do anything, what should I do?
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: How do you deal with missiles

Post by maik »

ECM still has a small chance of destroying hardened missiles. Use it a number of times and eventually you will succeed. Then there is the option of just fleeing from the missile. Using injectors, you are faster than the missile. Eventually it explodes. Without injectors, try evading the missile a good as you can. And lastly, if you have the cloaking device, turn it on and off, even quickly, and the missile will loose its target and also explode.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Missile don't actually hit the ship, but explode near it, so if you are moving away from it at the moment of detonation, damage can be minimised. If you can't use injectors, fly away from the missile and just as it's about to hit you, pitch and roll a lot. I recently had a stock Cobra 3 (no shield boosters or energy units) survive a missile strike although it did take out the rear shield and two energy banks.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Or try coming to a dead stop and hitting the missile with your laser... it can be done!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

If you decide to follow El Viejo's advice above, note that the "target nearest incoming missile" ("T") key is there to assist you. Pressing "T" will locate the incoming missile nearest to your ship and switch targets from whatever you are targeting at that moment to the missile itself. You may just get that extra second or two to find where the missile is coming from and point your lasers to it in time before it hits.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Fuel injectors and ECM should be priority upgrades for the starting Commander; get injectors first.

Later on up the career when you have the creds stacked up, OXP systems such as AMS and Missile Spoof can make hard missiles less of a headache.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Vvlad
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Vvlad »

cheers food for thought, I have injectors and ECM but I'm only up to average, I'm sure Elite missiles were never that good. :lol:
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Missiles in Oolite are about 4 times as devastating as missiles in Elite.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
tonycro
Above Average
Above Average

Post by tonycro »

cloaking device - every missile looses lock and self destructs when activated.

Also, i have an OXP which launches a chaff cloud which is generally effective.
Learn from the mistakes of others, life is too short to make them all your self !
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

If there's a handy station or asteroid around...hide behind it. Let them take the missile hit instead.

Killing an enemy from long range gives you FAR more time to deal with any missiles they fire. In a close-in knife-fight or head-on attack, a missile can hit you in less than 1 second of the moment it's fired.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Vvlad wrote:
I keep getting blow out of space by pesky hardened missiles, usually after blasting the miscreant who launched the thing just before he died. How do I stop the things blowing me apart, obviously ECM doesn't do anything, what should I do?
I have some food for you to chew on. Perhaps your combat style is to blame for getting tagged by a missile fired at you just before your target perished. From the sounds of it you are firing at ships head to head at close range. Firing missiles will happen automatically in most cases. Solution: dogfight. Get behind close range ships first so when you take them down the missile fires away from you and you have time then to take corrective action like hitting the ECM and using injectors to bug out if the missile was a hardhead. A little strategy can go a long way here. :wink:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

I've got in the habit of automatically moving my finger over the ECM key when I'm close to finishing an opponent off. Takes much less time to hit it when you expect to be doing it anyway! Won't help you much with hardheads, but 'tis useful against standard ones!
Vvlad
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Vvlad »

It depends on what I'm up against whether I take them head on or get in behind some things can pop way before they are close up. I think a change of tactics is needed for when they get close in. I have found wearing head phones really helps when in a battle, makes it easier to hear a laser strike to avoid over heating. I have mapped a key on my pad to EMC now so I don't have to look for it.