Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Generation Ships 1.1

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Kaiserspike
Competent
Competent

Generation Ships 1.1

Post by Kaiserspike »

To my delight, i came across a Generation ship in witchspace after dispatch Thargoids between Lerelace and Xeoner.
Truly awesome, but are these babies dockable?
Guard your Poems Lobster meat!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Generation Ships 1.1

Post by Cody »

Kaiserspike wrote:
To my delight, i came across a Generation ship in witchspace after dispatch Thargoids between Lerelace and Xeoner.
Truly awesome, but are these babies dockable?
'The penalty for interference with such a vessel is marooning'!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Kaiserspike
Competent
Competent

Post by Kaiserspike »

be that as it may, i'm sure i saw images of the interior of one of these things, or were they mock ups? or a dream? or space dementia?
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Kaiserspike wrote:
be that as it may, i'm sure i saw images of the interior of one of these things, or were they mock ups? or a dream? or space dementia?
All of the above.

Their config files show docks attached to them, but never tried to dock one, don't they run if you get too close?

Furthermore, even if they can be docked, there are no "interiors" in Oolite, only 2d information screens.
Kaiserspike
Competent
Competent

Post by Kaiserspike »

Tried docking with what looked like a docking port at the front of one the ships, with predictably disastrous results.
As for the my notion of "interior" it was more like a fly through a hollow cylinder rather than a different 3-d environment.
Oh well, still glad to finally see one of 'em
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Nice that you like it! :D
Kaiserspike
Competent
Competent

Post by Kaiserspike »

Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

WOW! That picture was in one of my kids future-educational-thingy books when I was growing up in Germany.. talk about a blast from the past :) Pity they were predicting these things in orbit by the 90's or so at the time. Here we are well into the 2nd decade of the 21st century and.. nada. Well, almost nada (ISS).
</offtopic>
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Kaiserspike
Competent
Competent

Post by Kaiserspike »

haha, cool, i've seen it a few times before alright.
How possible would it be to texturise a similar terrain image onto the interior of the cylinder of a generation ship, and allow you to fly through and admire the scenery?
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Unless the interior is modelled into a 3d landscape (buildings and trees included), It'll probably end up looking like google Earth...
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Kaiserspike
Competent
Competent

Post by Kaiserspike »

i was think a flat 2d, render, and yes, Google Earth would be the valid comparison, still though...

More nostalgia, Micha http://www.disinfo.com/2011/11/1970s-na ... olony-art/
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

And to think this book explained fairly lucidly how relatively easy it would have been to build them things with '70s technologies... oh well....
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

In the interests of balance (i.e. a punchup :D), there's always a counter-opinion ...
I was completely astonished by the prevalence of the “space” reaction to the inaugural Do the Math post on galactic-scale energy. The post illustrated that continuing growth of our physical scale (energy) is not viable on a number of fronts—not the least of which is that Earth’s surface would reach the boiling point of water in a mere 400 years, based purely on thermodynamic arguments, and independent of which energy technology is employed. Many comments on the internets chided this view as being hopelessly unrealistic in its willful ignorance of the great space migration to come.

The connotation is that we should not heed repeated warnings about our current collision course with a finite world when—by some clairvoyant means that eludes me—we know we are destined to colonize the infinite void beyond. Space is therefore seen as an escape hatch for the human endeavor and from our arguably botched track record on Earth. Escapism may be more accurate.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

...those were harsh words, although completely right in the sense people generally do try to avoid looking at problems whose solution entails a change in the life style.

But colonization needn't and shouldn't be associated with solving our planetary problems, I think that's a fallacy.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Tom Murphy wrote:
I want to caution against harboring illusions of space as the answer to our collision course of growth on a finite planet. We live at a special time. We have enjoyed spending our inheritance of fossil fuels, and are feeling rather heady about our technological prowess. For many generations now, we have ridden an exponential growth track, conditioning ourselves to believe that our upward trajectory is an eternal constant of our existence. We'll see. When we cross to the down-slope of fossil fuel availability—beginning with oil—we'll see how timeless the growth phase seems to be, and whether we can afford a continued presence in space. We should be mature enough to admit that we have no context in which to evaluate how successfully the human race will navigate this unprecedented transition.
Some more thoughts (and numbers) about space colonisation, within and without the solar system ...

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-st ... redux.html