Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Mutliple Target recognition

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

/me opens a savings account at Diso National bank
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
the alberts
Competent
Competent

Post by the alberts »

Another suggestion - feel free to lambast of course. :D

How about a slight delay on the information coming through on the ident system?

Bear with me.

After pointing at the object identified (normally a pixel in the distance or a blob wizzing past the screen) the ship computer would have to narrow down information and supply it as it comes through. I'd imagine a "...please wait" type blinking thing in place of the missing information.

The ident would instantly display the range of course, then a couple more seconds before object type is recognised, and finally, after a couple more seconds the legal status if relevant.

I think that not only would it make the multiple ident system a little more believable (technology still not perfect eh?), you'd also get a bit of suspense as your ident system keeps the vital information for just a couple more seconds before you decide to attack or not... This also fits in with the whole 'pirates pretending to be traders' for an extra couple of vital seconds before the anyone catches on...
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Current technology manages IFF without a delay...why should it have a delay in the 32nd century?

Besides, the IFF information comes from the ship's transponder codes.
the alberts
Competent
Competent

Post by the alberts »

Does current technology detect the legal status of a target instantaneously then?

I have a feeling that 'friendly fire' is here to stay - regardless of how complicated or efficient targeting systems become. :(
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Like he said, IFF - Identify Friend or Foe. Basically, it sends a signal, and if it gets the right signal back, it makes a “don’t shoot that” noise. Legal status would have to rely on transponder codes to make any sort of sense, and if the transponder code is broadcast that’s twice as fast as IFF… although you may need to query the station/planet for up-to-date legal status.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Apart from IFF the military also have eqpt which identifies radar signals, each signal is like a fingerprint, and they will know the class/type of vessel/plane, the name of the Captain, what he had for breakfast etc,etc
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Evil Juice
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Evil Juice »

Obviously all tech like this can be fooled, wouldn't it be nice to be able to identificate as anothe ship / another legal status? More technological warfare in the future.
Target lost
neilplus
Competent
Competent

Post by neilplus »

aegidian wrote:
implemented Target memory Expansion for v1.64 (r323)

Nice! Thanks - that'll definitely find its way onto my upgrade list...