Money attracts money...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Money attracts money...

Post by sdrubble »

In RealLife(tm), it's generally known that millionaires and billionaires get part of their earnings without any effort at all... it sort of falls in their lap, thru various offers and trading information and opportunities, which appear to them just by their BEING wealthy. 8)

It happens that in the Ooniverse the same kind of thing happens here and there... here's one fully reproducible recipe, to show you can make easy money if you already happen to have a good amount of Credits. :twisted:

First of all you need 2 OXPs - Galactic_Navy and ShieldEqualizer+Capacitors. Without the second one, you might get similar, but much smaller balance increases.

If you're a wealthy Commander and likes battles, you've certainly already purchased the 'right' amount of Navy bonds - so as to get the 75% discount on the Navy's twice-as-high original equipment prices (which in the end, equates to a 50% gross discount over every one else's prices). :roll:

Also, if you're a wealthy Commander and likes battles, you've almost certainly fitted your Iron Ass with a Shield Equalizer, which carries the hefty list price of 75000Cr :shock: . The interesting point here is, being the Equalizer one item of superior quality and superb craftsmanship, it also comes with a no-questions-asked 90% money-back guarantee. :P

So, you get the picture. A Navy supporter with maximum discount can purchase the Equalizer at a SecCom station at 37500Cr :o . And, whenever and wherever he wishes, return it for a refund of 67500Cr. :mrgreen:

This a simple buy-low-and-sell-high operation, fully legal and (still) supported by all parties involved... the return-for-a-refund operation can even be done at SecCom itself, 5 seconds after the original purchase, and maybe even repeated ad infinitum by really greedy Commanders. :wink:

Of course, an experienced and smarter millionaire, one who knows how the market operates, won't try to kill the chicken of the gold eggs by repeatedly abusing this opportunity... but he certainly has nothing to lose, for instance, by repeating this simple operation at a slower pace, such as at every other visit to a SecCom station. 8)

Cheers
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Money attracts money...

Post by JazHaz »

Seems that's a bug that needs fixing! :shock:
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

JazHaz wrote:
Seems that's a bug that needs fixing! :shock:
Fixing ? Oh well, yes, but not on my copy for the moment being, thanks. :mrgreen:
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

only lately did I discover not a bug as bad as that one, but still an oddity in vanilla Oolite.

If you sell your (perfect condition) ship equipped with military lasers, you get ~75% of it's value, so about 4500,- for any military laser.

If before selling the ship you downgrade to pulse laser(s), you get 100% refunds for any military laser.

6000,- refunds for the military laser, minus 400,- for installing the pulse laser, plus 300,- for the pulse laser @ selling the ship : 5900,- .

:|
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Ooh, just a wild guess, but I've got the feeling we might do something about that after MNSR! :twisted:
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

If you think that is a good return you should install Killit and trade them. You can make a million in about 5 minutes.

But this of course is a cheat and the player should know better.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Fatleaf wrote:
If you think that is a good return you should install Killit and trade them. You can make a million in about 5 minutes.
Who needs a million ? I think that 30,000Cr every now and then (a bit unfrequently, to be honest...) is more than enough, without need to resort to devious and surreptitious schemes. :twisted:

That actually reminds me of the old joke about the fellow with the exact pocket change and the smiling female ostrich... :mrgreen:

Oh, and BTW... what are "them" ?? :?: :?: :?:

Cheers 8)
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Kaks wrote:
. . . we might do something about that after MNSR! :twisted:
OK, after reading this acronym here in the board a zillion times :evil: I finally decided to Google DuckDuckGo :wink: for it.

Now I know - it's a Miniature Neutron Source Reactor :shock: :!: ! I'm looking forward to its addition to Oolite... money won't be a problem, of course. :mrgreen:
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

sdrubble wrote:
Oh, and BTW... what are "them" ?? :?: :?: :?:
Commander McLane's work. It is a big cheat! http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Killit_OXP
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

sdrubble wrote:
Kaks wrote:
. . . we might do something about that after MNSR! :twisted:
This had been just as mysterious to me as well ... :lol:

Mythical
Next
Stable
Release

so as to not leave you short of riddles, there's also EMMSRAN. :D
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

snork wrote:
so as to not leave you short of riddles, there's also EMMSRAN. :D
Oh, I almost forgot, We still have to work on EMMSTRAN. And when 1.76 is released, our current EMMSTRAN will probably turn into our future NMSR and we have to look for a new EMMSTRAN. :P
At least this will guarantee that we will keep a NMSR, even when we think we un-mythical it.