Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

SOS....SOS...SOS...data lost...adrift in space

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

rollen
Competent
Competent

SOS....SOS...SOS...data lost...adrift in space

Post by rollen »

Due to a Thargoid attack on my hard drive I have lost a large portion of data in the flux capacitor (?) and di-lithium crystal part of my main frame computer! Am adrift in my escape pod in the sub-ether, food supplies are low and the ships cat has only got one leg remaining....

Well..what really happened was that my hard drive died and I lost all my save files for oolite. At last count I was in Galaxy 2, with just enough cash to buy a python and had made about 2000 kills. Was just wondering if any kind soul could "lend" me a save file to give me a leg-up: perhaps an old "save" file that has a few quid in the bank and a few upgrades to the ship, rather than having to start all over again? many thanks if so.....
"time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas"
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: SOS....SOS...SOS...data lost...adrift in space

Post by Smivs »

Hi Rollen,
Sorry to hear your sad news. I can't help you with a save file I'm afraid, but I might have a few spare cat legs around.... :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Hi Rollen,
Condolences, indeed.

However, you can just edit a new save-file to give yourself cash, a different ship, and even a new location. This is generally considered cheating, but, as it's a single-player game, you're only cheating yourself.

May your di-lithium crystals remain unshattered in future!
- Micha.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
rollen
Competent
Competent

Post by rollen »

Sorry to hear your sad news. I can't help you with a save file I'm afraid, but I might have a few spare cat legs around....

Fortunately it was a Centi-cat from Planet Felline 9 so I have actually put on three stone. (Not that it matters in zero-g)
Amaranth
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Amaranth »

Ouch, that must be a right pain. You have my sympathies. I have also learned the lesson about backing up regularly . In this circumstance, I wouldnt even call it cheating yourself to recreate a save-game as near as possible to that you had before. At least with the way Oolite works, it is easy to tinker with savegames if needed, such as to restore a backup or for testing purposes. I have a standard gameplay file (1040 kills, G3, approx 70K, Cobra Mk3) and 3 test files, which I mainly use to test new ship textures / parameters or a newly loaded OXP.
On a break
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

rollen wrote:
Sorry to hear your sad news. I can't help you with a save file I'm afraid, but I might have a few spare cat legs around....

Fortunately it was a Centi-cat from Planet Felline 9 so I have actually put on three stone. (Not that it matters in zero-g)
I was actually thinking of the poor cat, not your belly! :P
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
rollen
Competent
Competent

Post by rollen »

Amaranth wrote:
Ouch, that must be a right pain. You have my sympathies. I have also learned the lesson about backing up regularly . In this circumstance, I wouldnt even call it cheating yourself to recreate a save-game as near as possible to that you had before. At least with the way Oolite works, it is easy to tinker with savegames if needed, such as to restore a backup or for testing purposes. I have a standard gameplay file (1040 kills, G3, approx 70K, Cobra Mk3) and 3 test files, which I mainly use to test new ship textures / parameters or a newly loaded OXP.

Thanks. I have been offered an old save file with a used python on it (12 months MOT, 2 careful owners and 6 months tax - high mileage tho) I have thought about tinkering with the save and configuring it to where I was in the Ooliverse but I think I will go for the python file since this will be more randomised than if I simply create my own parameters.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

That or just download my ooCheat OXP and use that to give yourself a boost up to where you think you should be. As to whether you then remove it or not, that's up to you. :twisted:
rollen
Competent
Competent

Post by rollen »

Thargoid wrote:
That or just download my ooCheat OXP and use that to give yourself a boost up to where you think you should be. As to whether you then remove it or not, that's up to you. :twisted:

thanks for that :D