Oolite crashes my GPU after exiting the station

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

tlau
Poor
Poor

Oolite crashes my GPU after exiting the station

Post by tlau »

Hi! I used to be a huge fan of Elite and I was looking forward to playing Oolite. I just installed version 1.75.3-beta on my Ubuntu Natty system.

I can start the game and press all the function keys to access the in-station menus. However, after I press F1 to leave the space station, oolite seems to crash my GPU.

I see the "leaving space station" graphics, and then I see the planet filling my screen, and then the game pauses. After a second, the entire screen flashes to black, and then the display comes back. If I let this go on, eventually my window manager (Unity desktop) will die, and only the naked windows will come back. That seems to continue forever until I reboot.

This happens whether I run oolite in fullscreen or windowed mode.

What seems to happen is that something the game is doing has crashed my graphics card, and the system is valiantly trying to recover. Here is a snipped from my kernel dmesg output just as the problem occurs:

[ 271.666316] [drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
[ 271.667838] [drm:i915_do_wait_request] *ERROR* i915_do_wait_request returns -11 (awaiting 140457 at 140452, next 140460)
[ 279.926020] [drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
[ 279.926056] [drm:i915_do_wait_request] *ERROR* i915_do_wait_request returns -11 (awaiting 141519 at 141513, next 141523)
[ 287.051412] [drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
[ 287.051467] [drm:i915_do_wait_request] *ERROR* i915_do_wait_request returns -11 (awaiting 144174 at 144168, next 144175)

I have an Intel integrated graphics system. Here's the lspci output

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

And the relevant driver lines from Xorg.0.log:

[ 10.976] (II) intel: Driver for Intel Integrated Graphics Chipsets: i810,
i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 854, 852GM/855GM, 865G, 915G,
E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, Pineview GM, Pineview G,
965G, G35, 965Q, 946GZ, 965GM, 965GME/GLE, G33, Q35, Q33, GM45,
4 Series, G45/G43, Q45/Q43, G41, B43, B43, Clarkdale, Arrandale,
Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge, Sandybridge,
Sandybridge, Sandybridge

I also tried the stable version 1.65, and it had the same behavior. Any ideas on how to get this working on my system? Thanks!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Oolite crashes my GPU after exiting the station

Post by Smivs »

Hi tlau,
and welcome to the Board.
I don't know what's causing your problem, I'm afraid, but someone will I'm sure.
Could you post a log. This can be found at Places, Home, .oolite (it's one of the hidden files, so if you're not familiar with this go Places, Home Folder, view-hidden files).
The logs folder is within .oolite.
Copy and paste the latest log here, and that might tell us something helpful.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hi tlau and welcome. Try this: before you launch, go F2/Game Options and set Reduced Detail to 'On', and Detailed Planets to 'Off'... that may help.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
tlau
Poor
Poor

Post by tlau »

Thanks for the replies! I forgot to mention that I already tried reducing all the detail options I could find on that screen, and I still see the same behavior.

There isn't anything enlightening in the log, I'm afraid:

10:09:43.931 [log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.75.3 (x86-32 test release) under Linux at 2011-10-09 10:09:43 -0700.
4 processors detected.
Build options: spoken messages, mass/fuel pricing, JavaScript console support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support, JavaScript profiling.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

10:09:44.017 [display.mode.list.native]: X11 native resolution detected: 1600 x 1200
10:09:44.071 [joystick.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
10:09:44.072 [dataCache.notFound]: No data cache found, starting from scratch.
10:09:44.073 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted mode - resource paths:
~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources
AddOns
AddOns/Basic-debug.oxp
10:09:44.073 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.0 ("2.1 Mesa 7.10.2"). Vendor: "Tungsten Graphics, Inc". Renderer: "Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Desktop GEM 20100330 DEVELOPMENT x86/MMX/SSE2".
10:09:44.073 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (126):
GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object, GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_IBM_multimode_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_NV_vertex_program1_1, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_EXT_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_INGR_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_ARB_sync, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_NV_light_max_exponent, GL_APPLE_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_provoking_vertex, GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip, GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3, GL_NV_texture_env_combine4, GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_MESA_pack_invert, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra, GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_ARB_vertex_array_object, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object, GL_ARB_texture_swizzle, GL_EXT_subtexture, GL_MESA_texture_signed_rgba, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_depth_clamp, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample, GL_NV_texture_rectangle, GL_EXT_texture, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra, GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map, GL_ARB_copy_buffer, GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex, GL_APPLE_object_purgeable, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects, GL_MESA_window_pos, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_EXT_timer_query, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_copy_texture, GL_ARB_texture_rg, GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_EXT_blend_logic_op, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_APPLE_client_storage, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_OES_EGL_image, GL_EXT_polygon_offset, GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_EXT_point_parameters, GL_NV_vertex_program, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_EXT_draw_buffers2, GL_OES_read_format, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_provoking_vertex, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
10:09:44.079 [rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
10:09:44.366 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
10:09:44.481 [script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 5 world scripts:
oolite-cloaking-device 1.75.3
oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.75.3
oolite-nova 1.75.3
oolite-thargoid-plans 1.75.3
oolite-trumbles 1.75.3
10:09:45.260 [debugTCP.disconnect]: No connection to debug console: "Connection to debug console failed: '' (outStream status: 7, inStream status: 7)."
10:09:45.260 [debugTCP.disconnect]: No connection to debug console: "Connection to debug console failed: 'unknown error.' (outStream status: 0, inStream status: 0)."
10:09:45.260 [debugTCP.connect.failed]: Failed to connect to debug console at address 127.0.0.1:8563.
10:09:45.299 [loading.complete]: ========== Loading complete. ==========
10:11:33.044 [gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2011-10-09 10:11:33 -0700.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Yes, you're right...no clues there I can see.
It's a bit drastic but sometimes you get a glitch during installation. The drastic bit is to remove Oolite completely and do a fresh install. There have been many cases where this has solved problems.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
tlau
Poor
Poor

Post by tlau »

I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it too. It hasn't made any difference.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Long shot.

Try to start with the nosplash option.
oolite.exe -nosplash or the equivilant for Linux. Has had a positive effect on AMD/ATI cards.

Also (I assume you have done this, but just in case) check that you have the latest graphics drivers.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
tlau
Poor
Poor

Post by tlau »

The -nosplash option had no effect (this time it crashed while flying out of the space dock).

I'm pretty sure I have the latest drivers; this is a fresh install of Ubuntu Natty on new hardware. I have:

ii linux-headers-2.6.38-11 2.6.38-11.50 Header files related to Linux kernel version 2.6.38
ii linux-headers-2.6.38-11-generic-pae 2.6.38-11.50 Linux kernel headers for version 2.6.38 on x86
ii linux-headers-generic-pae 2.6.38.11.26 Generic Linux kernel headers
ii linux-image-2.6.38-11-generic-pae 2.6.38-11.50 Linux kernel image for version 2.6.38 on x86
ii xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.14.0-4ubuntu7.1 X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver
ii xorg 1:7.6+4ubuntu3.1 X.Org X Window System
ii xserver-xorg 1:7.6+4ubuntu3.1 the X.Org X server
ii xserver-xorg-core 2:1.10.1-1ubuntu1.2 Xorg X server - core server
Cody

Post by Cody »

Hey-ho... we're not being much help, I'm afraid, and I'm no expert.
One question though... where did you download Oolite from? Did you use the auto-install package?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
tlau
Poor
Poor

Post by tlau »

I've tried two different versions: one was downloaded directly from http://www.oolite.org/download.shtml, and I also tried version 1.65 which is part of the Ubuntu repositories (using apt-get).
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

My .2cr suggestion, install a Geforce card. Oolite generally gets along well with Geforce graphics on all platforms.

Intel GPUs, IMHO, are a royal pain in the ass and rarely play well with anything.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Not sure if this helps, but have a look here: http://intellinuxgraphics.org/.
Mesa 7.11 drivers seem to be available. It says for the 3.0 kernel, but worth a check. I'm on my iPod right now, so a bit difficult to dig into it.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).