Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How often do you get your ass handed to you?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

How often do you last get your ass handed to you?

Hourly
3%
Once a day
23%
Every couple of days
20%
Once a week
10%
Every couple of weeks
27%
Once a month
7%
I'm an Iron Man with Elite ranking
10%

Total votes: 30

Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

How often do you get your ass handed to you?

Post by Bugbear »

So I'm well into Dangerous territory now and I think I know when to run and when to fight.

But I still occasionally bite off more than I can chew.

How do you all do?
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: How often do you get your ass handed to you?

Post by Fatleaf »

You should have one more option:- You have a pointlessly overpowered ship = Never!
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

And I miss the option:

"Two years ago I invested 5,000,000 ₢ in the OMGWTFBBQweapon from kill it.oxp. Since than I have not seen any other ship on my route. An investment well worth the money." :D
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Well, I opted for every couple of days. Very rarely in normal play, but with the Guild of Test Pilots you have to put your Ass on the line in the interests of research. :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

I "die" every day... I take extreme risks. 8)
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

I voted once a day in defining ass handed to me as an unwinnable combat where I was over whelmed by too many enemy ships in too short a time. It does routinely happen in even the core game where I fly an iron assed(no oxps) Cobramk3 that 2 to 3 pirate groups converge on my position almost simultaneously from different directions. Rarely does this result in my destruction or ejecting, however, as sometimes it is best to inject out of the combat and that is what I do. More than half the time I just dogfight like a maniac anyway and it really can be dicey sometimes. I like what the core game has become. It has forced me to become a better pilot. Balance is thus acheived.
It is important, therefore, that for every oxp added that makes things tougher, one add an oxp that helps the player a little. Every time a week goes by without any real trouble, the player should either take away something that helps them or add something that hinders them. Rinse and repeat as needed and you will have balance in your game. :)
And as Smivs just pointed out, it is similar for myself in the name of testing. I usually just have the core game and whatever I am testing in the AddOns folder to determine correct operation and game balance and after all is well then I test with a more enhanced version of the game. Haven't really played a full game from harmless to at least deadly in over a year. I suspect the next time I do, it will be alot more fun with what has been improved in the core game. My hats off to the devs. :D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

I play with very few oxps and only ships that are within the same power level as NPC ships. I try to keep the game as vanilla as possible with a few added OXP's for different activities. (Navy, RH.) This being said, I probably have 1 furball a day that just destroys every.single.piece.of.equipment on my iron-ass cobbie. Its far too easy to get complacent and bite off more then you can chew.

You know the scariest vanilla ship on the space lanes for a newbie pilot like myself?

Damn Cobbie Mk. 1's. They have this patened 'charge head-on and launch a missle' move that gets me every time. Its to the point where I just run like heck while spamming my rear laser or missles. Those guys just wipe the floor with my boosted shields.

:(

But yeah, maybe once a day.
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

In the interest of sharpening my powers, I'm going to go back to Vanilla Oolite. I'm a die hard Ubership flyer, so the transition will be... interesting. :roll:
Time to retexture my new Ferdelance....
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I never engage in combat - I run away at every opportunity - so far I have never died - my intention is to be a harmless (possibly mostly harmless) millionaire. It's an interesting way to play...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Difficult to say... Most of the time I can go days, if not weeks, without dying. And then I'll suddenly die 2 or three times consecutively in a mid-tech confederacy, killed by one of the vanilla ships, doing nothing particularly special at all...
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
Difficult to say... Most of the time I can go days, if not weeks, without dying. And then I'll suddenly die 2 or three times consecutively in a mid-tech confederacy, killed by one of the vanilla ships, doing nothing particularly special at all...
I feel your pain... I too can go weeks without pressing space, commander. But there's always that one system that seems like all the ships are possessed. When I was a Jameson, Bemaera was on such system.
Palyar Commander
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Palyar Commander »

Every couple of hours on average, though the frequency declined a lot after I got the cloaking device, which I use as an anti-missile defence. My survivability also took a big leap forwards when I installed MilHUD oxp which greatly increased the effectiveness of my Military Lasers, as I don't overheat taking ineffective pot shots and can kill enemies more reliably at range.

One thing I miss from C64 Elite - the satisfying scrunch sound of a military laser striking home :P A target sensitive reticle helps hugely, should come as standard for 6k creds!

Previously about 80% of my deaths were due to ECM hardened missiles and 15% due to collision in combat, with the remainder due to docking collisions, including colliding with exiting vehicles.

I don't die often to direct laser fire as I generally ensure I have at least 1LY of quirium before getting into fights, so I can put on a burst of speed to open the range when needed.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

I'm the kind of player that not only takes risks, but who actually looks for trouble. This said, I get killed quite often - in collisions, that is, and damn their eyes... but between an iron-assed ship, injecting out of too much trouble and the odd desperation TAB-bombing, I think I'm actually shot down about once every two or three days (~4-5h sessions).

Going for a pondered average, I'll vote as daily.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Commander Trigg
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Trigg »

I'm currently running the military fiasco mission and have found myself taking to the escape pod about once a day on average. I don't have too much trouble taking on one or two of the mission ships, but when I come across 3 at once one of them always manages to get on my tail and wipe me out - I think Ishould exercise a little more discretion, but where's the challenge in that?
Now over 1000 confirmed kills. Bring on the bad guys!
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Actually, I just had my ass handed to be by a vanilla Ferdy, and me in my considerably ironed up Boa Class Cruiser. I'm doing low risk milk runs atm, building up capital to buy equipment.

Rock Hermits are usually worth the risk and I generally feel that I can handle the Pirate Coves (dispatch the attackers that come out, go in, buy / sell what I can, launch and destroy the cove for 100cr).

But just now, the Pirate Cove spat an FDL at me, and wouldn't you know it, it was one of those injector addicted kamikaze ones. So on his final run towards me I had my mil laser pounding photonic death into his craft, then just as we were about to pass: "Warning incoming missile"...except there were two.

I didn't even have time to hit the ECM...

Time to start the counter again.
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.