Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

1000x faster CPUs?

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: 1000x faster CPUs?

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

So, in three years we could have oolite running 100 to 1000 times faster. At a price of course. How would we make use of that speed if we had it? More detail, eye candy, 100 times more objects in a system at once, etc. 8)

The future really is bright after all. I'm gonna have to step on it to insure huds are top-notch by then. :roll:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

alright - how exactly does that dissipate heat when it's in a sandwich? that would surely only allow heat out the sides, which would be a micro surface area compared to the chip surfaces which would be between two heat-producing sources?
and it begs the question, if the glue's that good at heat shedding, why not just splurge a layer over current chips?
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Hi Killer Wolf. A thought just occurred to me after reading your post. A couple weeks ago there was a tv program on diamonds and they are nearly instantaneous heat conductors and can now be grown in layers off of real diamond and harvested for other purposes. Perhaps this adhesive layer is one of those purposes. They expect the technique to come down significantly in the next few years. Won't be dirt cheap but maybe 3 to 5 years it will be affordable for PC use. This is just a thought. :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I'm with KW (and hence my "probably not..." comment in my own post) - even if the glue can instantly transfer the heat away - where's it transferring it too? The glue's trapped between another layer of heat generating silicon chip...

So, unless the glue's converting the heat to light or transporting it into an alternative parallel dimension I can't see how, from this very vague description, how this "glue" can work - I've searched elsewhere for more explanation but have found only variations/extracts of the same words...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I'm with KW (and hence my "probably not..." comment in my own post) - even if the glue can instantly transfer the heat away - where's it transferring it too? The glue's trapped between another layer of heat generating silicon chip...

So, unless the glue's converting the heat to light or transporting it into an alternative parallel dimension I can't see how, from this very vague description, how this "glue" can work - I've searched elsewhere for more explanation but have found only variations/extracts of the same words...
This.

In most singlecore and multicore CPUs, the heat gets transferred to a heatsink mounted on top of the device. The cores are spread out in such a way to make that fairly easy.
In this case, the cores are stacked vertically with the glue transferring heat to the sides, so the old top mounted fanned sink isn't going to cut it. It would be interesting to see how they cool this thing. Hmm... Water or gas cooling, maybe? Heat pipes?
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor