Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Cursor Resets to Current Position in short range chart..

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Cursor Resets to Current Position in short range chart..

Post by Frame »

In the classic Elite the cursor could move outside short range box without being re-centered each time you entered the short range chart..

I suppose the reason for this centering is in short of a "home" button that in classic Elite re-centered the cursor at the current position.

It is not quite a bug, nor is it quite a feature or a suggestion, since it has its root in classic Elite..

I find it somewhat annoying having to use the mouse and keyboard to recenter the cursor upon a future location outside the short range map and then have to re-position the cursor on the long range map, each time I have looked up some data on a planet since i must go through the short range map to enter the long range map..

I suggest a change of this behavior.

Either Long range map gets its own dedicated button
or an additional key is allocated to use for "home" button.

I know we are on a freeze but with recent developments we might improve the tidbits we can..

Cheers Frame...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Cursor Resets to Current Position in short range chart..

Post by Kaks »

Not quite the same as what you're saying, but you can always search for a star by its name - once it's selected that way, the star you searched for will always be highlighed every time you go back to that long range map - as a 'bonus', the highlighted star is stored to savegames too! :)

Cheeers,

Kaks
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Eldon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Cursor Resets to Current Position in short range chart..

Post by Eldon »

And if you want to quickly select the star highlighted by a name search you can just press Shift+Arrow key. If there are multiple results from a search, Shift+Arrow key toggles through them.

As an alternative, you can get to the long range chart without going through the short range chart by going via the contracts market. F8-F8-?. The question mark key toggles between the contract market and the long range chart, and if a contract is selected it is set as the target system when you switch to the long range chart.