Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Test Release] The I Missile

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Test Release] The I Missile

Post by CaptSolo »

Thanks Eric, but basically I am a rookie at AI scripting, and so far have only modified existing ones. I'm sure you noticed I chose unlucky number 13 for successful ECM of the I-Missile. Concerning Grey Areas recommendation I've been testing that concept to see what damage can be inflicted upon ships the size of Boa's and larger without destroying them.
Ironfist
Commander
Commander

Post by Ironfist »

Capt Solo,
It would be quite interesting to have a missile that caused the bigger ships to end up being derelict rather than a big blob of nothing.
Been running the I-missile with no problems - really cheap when bought from the Navy
Ironfist
Last edited by Ironfist on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
64bit Mint 10 and Win 8 64bit on E8400 at 3.6GHz - ATI HD5750 graphics.
Concentration is the ability to think of absolutely nothing when it is absolutely necessary.
Grey Area
Competent
Competent

Post by Grey Area »

CaptSolo wrote:
Concerning Grey Areas recommendation I've been testing that concept to see what damage can be inflicted upon ships the size of Boa's and larger without destroying them.
Nice one, Captain! :D

I do like this missile, but I didn't enjoy being on the receiving end of one yesterday! :oops:
I said, I've got a big stick....
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Ironfist wrote:
It would be quite interesting to have a missile that caused the bigger ships to end up being derelict...
I'm afraid accomplishing that in an OXP is beyond my capabilities at this time. It would require a working knowledge of javascript.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

CaptSolo wrote:
Ironfist wrote:
It would be quite interesting to have a missile that caused the bigger ships to end up being derelict...
I'm afraid accomplishing that in an OXP is beyond my capabilities at this time. It would require a working knowledge of javascript.
Not strictly true. Maybe have a look at the 'max_energy' settings in shipdata and see if you can pitch it to kill smaller ships (lower energy) but just seriously hurt bigger ships. A bit like the original (in Elite) energy bomb did.

Some examples:-
Gecko-250
Krait-250
Mamba-240
Cobra1 pirate-200

and then

Boa-450
Boa2-525
Anaconda-500

Standard and hardened missiles have a 'weapon_energy' of 4500, but that is because they explode near the target and the blast does the damage, and of course they destroy anything and everything they're fired at. Therefore (assuming none of the target ships have extra energy units etc) a weapon_energy of around 2000-3000 for the missile might do the trick. A bit of testing would give you a good idea I think.

To become derelict of course they would also need an escape capsule as well, and that might be a problem, I'd agree.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

max energy also gets modified by whether they have shield boosters and/or shield enhancers (basically military shields for NPC ships). With both, a fresh NPC Boa 2 can survive an energy bomb blast.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Okay I have listened and de-uberfied the I-missile considerably. It now has the same chance of being destroyed by ECM as the standard hard head and weapon energy has been lowered to 3000. Its velocity is unchanged which makes it the primary advantage over standard missiles. I have tested it against the big traders. Of the standard ships, only healthy Anaconda's and Boa2's survive a single detonation but the occasional Python will make it too.

To sum up, the I-missile is very fast and agile but lacks the punch that standard missiles deliver. Final release this weekend.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Hi CaptSolo,

how is the final release coming along? Doing some Wiki spring cleaning I was very much tempted to move it from the WIP section on the OXP List to the 'normal' section...

Cheers,
-Maik
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

maik wrote:
Hi CaptSolo,

how is the final release coming along? Doing some Wiki spring cleaning I was very much tempted to move it from the WIP section on the OXP List to the 'normal' section...

Cheers,
-Maik
I have not released the final version yet and must confess it's because I tend to get involved with new projects before finishing old ones. I will move on the I-Missile ASAP.