Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

1.75.3 causes Ubuntu to freeze...

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

1.75.3 causes Ubuntu to freeze...

Post by Dragonfire »

This has happened three times in a row before I just gave up all together. At some point during Oolite gameplay, Ubuntu hard freezes (meaning, I can't move my mouse, I have no keyboard input, and nothing is moving or working.) I am forced to do a hard reboot. This didn't happen until after I installed 1.75.3 (upgrading from the working version 1.75.2.) What is going on?

The only other program I installed was Alma Sound Mixer, unless automatic updates installed something bad. Hmm. (All the same, spaceflight shall now occur on the Windows 7 side.)
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Re: 1.75.3 causes Ubuntu to freeze...

Post by Getafix »

Hi Dragonfire.

Some feedback for the following questions could help:

How did you upgrade to 1.75.3; by full install or by executing oolite-update?
Which Ubuntu release?
What Ubuntu architecture are you using; 64bit or 32bit?
Could you start oolite form a command line and post the terminal output and the Latest.log at a freeze?
Is oolite freezing in full screen or windowed mode?

Thanx!
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Post by fronclynne »

Code: Select all

glxinfo | grep OpenGL
maybe?
commanderxairon
Deadly
Deadly

Post by commanderxairon »

it happened the same to me until i disabled speech i liked the germanic girl voice to talk me but it caused lot of crasheses and gaved me lot of pain in the ass
Pirate Commander: I would taken over Anleis and maked the first pirate system on this Ooniverse and become the monarch of all that empire if This stupid boy and his ship would'nt interfeer

Kuroshido(RXS-mariana) : scooby doobi doo?....

MY CREW
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

commanderxairon wrote:
...i liked the germanic girl voice to talk me...
You could try the alternative speech library. In a terminal window execute the following commands
(replace <Oolite installation path> by /opt/Oolite or ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite depending on your installation)

$ sudo cp -p <Oolite installation path>/oolite-deps/lib/libespeak.so.1 <Oolite installation path>/oolite-deps/lib/libespeak.so.1.portaudio
$ sudo cp -p <Oolite installation path>/oolite-deps/lib/libespeak.so.1.pulseaudio <Oolite installation path>/oolite-deps/lib/libespeak.so.1
If this doesn't address the issue, then you can always rollback to the previous state:

$ sudo cp -p <Oolite installation path>/oolite-deps/lib/libespeak.so.1.portaudio <Oolite installation path>/oolite-deps/lib/libespeak.so.1
Send some feedback... Cheers!
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]