Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Inflight sound plays from startup. Is this normal?

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

danny_galaga
Above Average
Above Average

Inflight sound plays from startup. Is this normal?

Post by danny_galaga »

So I was inspired to create a soundtrack for Oolite. I saw a thread somewhere of peoples soundtracks which were all very tasteful I thought 8) Anyway, For 'docked', since in a way you are in a sort of space shopping mall, I had a nice selection of the likes of Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass band (think Spanish Flea etc) and A walk in the Black Forest :lol:

For inflight, I created an SFX track using Garageband (might as well use what I can on my new Mac Mini), so that there is a 'star drive' type sound with an undercarriage closing type sound at the start. About 15 minutes long with the odd random bleep. I then made 8 of those, some with different bleeps, some with nothing but engine and undercarriage. It's then set on random in iTunes, so that it's not predictable. It's very soothing, I'm listening to it now!

Now here's the thing. As soon as I start up the game, the inflight soundtrack starts, when really since I'm going to be in a space station, I should be expecting The Peanut Vendor or Spanish Flea etc. Of course the first time I leave a station it resets the 'inflight' soundtrack and next time I dock everything is as it should be.

It slightly ruins the immersion. I should note that the 'docking' soundtrack doesn't work at all, I don't know if that's related or not. Only just thought of it then since it doesn't bother me as much. I am running 1.75.3 with nothing added. Most of my posts won't be this long-winded!
SALVAGER ARMY OFFICER
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Inflight sound plays from startup. Is this normal?

Post by Eric Walch »

danny_galaga wrote:
Now here's the thing. As soon as I start up the game, the inflight soundtrack starts, when really since I'm going to be in a space station, I should be expecting The Peanut Vendor or Spanish Flea etc. Of course the first time I leave a station it resets the 'inflight' soundtrack and next time I dock everything is as it should be.

It slightly ruins the immersion. I should note that the 'docking' soundtrack doesn't work at all, I don't know if that's related or not. Only just thought of it then since it doesn't bother me as much. I am running 1.75.3 with nothing added. Most of my posts won't be this long-winded!
When you startup Oolite, the game already creates the lave system with all the actions. The player status at that moment is: STATUS_START_GAME. I assume the in-flight music is the default one. But you are right, it would probably more correct to play the 'docked' sound then.

On the 'docking' soundtrack: it works for me. When starting the docking computer, I get the 'docking' musics from i-tunes. The playlist name must be 'Oolite-Docking' but, when the other two work for you, I assume your spelling on this one is also right.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

This should be fixed in r4602, although I haven’t tested it properly yet (I don’t have anything in iTunes here).
danny_galaga
Above Average
Above Average

Post by danny_galaga »

Eric Walch wrote:
When you startup Oolite, the game already creates the lave system with all the actions. The player status at that moment is: STATUS_START_GAME. I assume the in-flight music is the default one. But you are right, it would probably more correct to play the 'docked' sound then.

On the 'docking' soundtrack: it works for me. When starting the docking computer, I get the 'docking' musics from i-tunes. The playlist name must be 'Oolite-Docking' but, when the other two work for you, I assume your spelling on this one is also right.
Ahhh. I am only early days in the game, no docking computer (and I enjoy the challenge of docking manually anyway), so I guess I'll get the docking soundtrack if I get the docking computer...

On the docked sound, since I'm funny like that, I'll just turn down the sound until the first time I leave. It's only a few seconds of the game out of many hours of fun after all :)
SALVAGER ARMY OFFICER
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Ahruman wrote:
This should be fixed in r4602, although I haven’t tested it properly yet (I don’t have anything in iTunes here).
Nope, I still get a 'in-flight" music when the spinning cobra shows.

While testing it myself, I encountered another buggy behavior. When in game settings switching back to 'music' from 'i-tunes-integration', i-tunes stays active.

That was easy fixable by adding a 'pauseItunes' line. (Although I first had to correct the appleScript that stopped i-tunes because it contained an error).

Looking further I wondered why the "BlueDanube.ogg" is not looped. The song is long, so normally you are docked before the music ends. But I added a big queue with docking ships in front of me and than the music runs out before my ship even starts to move. When there was no special reason, I change it to 'looped'.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Eric Walch wrote:
Nope, I still get a 'in-flight" music when the spinning cobra shows.
Ah, I misread. My patch is supposed to switch to docked music after the demo screens.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Ahruman wrote:
Ah, I misread. My patch is supposed to switch to docked music after the demo screens.
And it is also difficult testing when you have no i-tunes installed. :P

By default was the in-flight music started by the command to stop music. And on startup there was already a command to stop the music (that started i-tunes)
Anyhow, I now added my changes, making use of your changes. This results now that i-tunes does not start immediately, but the player now gets the usual Oolite theme when the spinning cobra shows. Than when starting to open a file, the docking music starts.

And, while toggling the game preferences, i-tunes now stops when switching to music-on or music-off.