Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Test Release] The I Missile

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[Test Release] The I Missile

Post by CaptSolo »

Having since the beginning of my Oolite career been frankly disappointed with both the HM3 Homing Missile and and HMX5 (ECM Hardened) Missile, I decided to make my own. Some might call it an, "Uber Missile". I'm okay with that. Here are a couple specs not mentioned on the Wiki page below:
Max Speed = 3.0 LM. It can catch up to an Asp Mk II running away on injectors
Weapon Energy = 10000. Roughly twice that of standard missiles

It has it's own AI which has been carefully tweaked. Basically it doesn't give up on it's target. It does fail but only rarely. However there is one rather nasty problem which occurs when fired against a target behind the player. This problem and its solution has been addressed on the Wiki page. The price for this weapon is arguably quite cheap. I justify it this way: A player having sent several rouges to Davy Jones Space Locker and at least one with this weapon, the bounty for all of them should be sufficient to purchase another.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/I_Missile
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: [Test Release] The I Missile

Post by Fatleaf »

Just going over the read-me you have
It can be purchased at any tech level 9 system for 500 credits.
The Wiki has
It can be purchased at any tech level 6 system for 100 credits.
An oversight. Should Have taken it to the Guild of Test pilots first. :wink:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Fatleaf wrote:
Just going over the read-me you have
It can be purchased at any tech level 9 system for 500 credits.
The Wiki has
It can be purchased at any tech level 6 system for 100 credits.
An oversight. Should Have taken it to the Guild of Test pilots first. :wink:
Yes it is. I will correct that at once.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Can you make it so NPC ships can use it...but only rarely?
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Switeck wrote:
Can you make it so NPC ships can use it...but only rarely?
I'll have to check the wiki how that can be declared. How about a chance of 0.01?

Edit:
Found it for equipment plist: "available_to_NPCs" = yes;
Rather than "yes" suppose it would accept a REAL value? I will put it to a test.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

On further consideration I made this weapon available to NPC's with a chance occurrence of 0.001. The log listed no parse errors so am assuming it works. If such a weapon is fired at the player they have only seconds to identify it and eject. Even with a chance of one out of a thousand it's likely to be used against them at some time.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

CaptSolo wrote:
Edit:
Found it for equipment plist: "available_to_NPCs" = yes;
Rather than "yes" suppose it would accept a REAL value? I will put it to a test.
To make it available for npc you don't need do anything with equipment, but just add a role "missile" in your list inside shipData. Than every time a nps fires a missile, it might choose this one. To reduce the chance, use "missile(0.001)" or something.

And I agree with Switeck, if you give the player such a super weapon, there must be a change that others also use it against the player.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Notice for Guild of Test Pilots:

Play testers needed for the IMissile.
Download Link

A simple feedback report is all that is required as to the weapons efficacy. Suggestions welcome as well as criticism. Also report if this weapon was used against you and the outcome, although the chance of this is very small.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I'd expect ECM to have some (minor) effect on this missile and/or for the missile to cost more.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Switeck wrote:
I'd expect ECM to have some (minor) effect on this missile and/or for the missile to cost more.
I am receptive to both suggestions but not sure how to implement the first. The hardMissileAI has this method:

Code: Select all

ECM = ("rollD: 20");
"ROLL_1" = ("setStateTo: DETONATE");
"ROLL_2" = ("setStateTo: EXPLODE");
So this virtual dice roll seems to decide the fate of the missile. By increasing the value of 20 to 50, does that increase the odds in favor of the missile?

Eric, I made my previous post above just after yours and though aware of it, I did not read it until later.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Yes, raising the roll to 50 decreases the odds of rolling 1 or 2 to low levels.
You could even make other behaviors, such as slow down, lose target, tumble, etc. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_B-36
"Much more than other large aircraft powered by piston engines, the B-36 was very prone to engine fires, to the extent that some crews changed the phrase "six turning, four burning" into "two turning, two burning, two smoking, two joking, and two unaccounted for"."
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

CaptSolo wrote:
A simple feedback report is all that is required as to the weapons efficacy. Suggestions welcome as well as criticism. Also report if this weapon was used against you and the outcome, although the chance of this is very small.
I like the weapon. It took out an Asp that was at injector speeds. I did note that the missile missed its target several times and has to turn around again several times before hitting the target. It's a good long range missile. I used to say, "NEVER fire a missile at an Asp or a Krait. It'l just inject away." But now I say, "For Asps and Kraits, use an I-Missile."
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Thanks Ryan for testing the I-Missile.

Version 1.06 has been uploaded.
Changes:
NPC's now have a small chance to successfully ECM.
The price has been bumped to 200 Cr. Why lower than ECM Hardened Missile? My personal opinion - that weapon is over-priced.

Download link for Guild of Test Pilots:
I-Missile
Grey Area
Competent
Competent

Post by Grey Area »

I've been using v1.05 for a few days now, and I like it.

It comes in really handy with the Random Hits OXP, I can tell you!

I was going to suggest that you give NPCs a chance to ECM the missile, but I see that great minds think alike. :wink:

Perhaps the weapon energy could be a little lower, so that there's no 'guaranteed kill' on larger or tougher targets?

I've downloaded v1.06 now, and I'll post any additional impressions once I've put it through its paces.
I said, I've got a big stick....
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

CaptSolo wrote:
Changes:
NPC's now have a small chance to successfully ECM.
While it looks as if your missile has a smaller chance to get ECMed as the hardhead, I think you kept the chances the same. That is because ECM sends out 4 time separated pulses. The way you coded it, every pulse has a 1/40 change of success but effectively it becomes 4/40 = 1/10. The hardhead goes into a loop after detecting the first pulse and ignores the next 3, resulting also in 1/10 success.
(I like your way better though. I have never understood why the hardhead goes in that loop were it is for 5 seconds immune to pulses, instead of just reducing the chances.)

Grey Area wrote:
It comes in really handy with the Random Hits OXP, I can tell you!

I was going to suggest that you give NPCs a chance to ECM the missile, but I see that great minds think alike. :wink:
UPS-courier has one target that checks some installed missiles and pre-loads that ship with those missiles. I now added this missile on the list. When the player can buy it, that target can have it now also.
I could do something similar with the hard marks of RH. When the player has missiles with a guaranteed kill, the marks could have them also. :twisted: