Question: How are the different planet sets coming along?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Question: How are the different planet sets coming along?

Post by pagroove »

Simple question: Last year we had several planet sets into development: System Redux 2, System Demux and Deep Horizons. How are the developments on these projects?

I now run Only Famous Planets and no texture sets as there is currently not so much variation in the sets. I would lover to see new versions of the above OXP's though. BTW the default generator is now quite good. If only it could generate sharper cloud edges then it would be perfect.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Question: How are the different planet sets coming along

Post by Dragonfire »

I would check the OXP List. All three were released. Deep Horizons is on the main page only, System Redux 2 and System Demux are in "Ambient" I believe.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I know that they are released and where to find them but they where developed further. Commander Kev was further enhancing System Redux 2. And Cmndr Cheyd was working on new textures for Deep Horizons.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

I have a few additional textures done, and several WiPs. But I stopped working on them to focus on a rewrite of DH_Systems. That hit a few major snags, and I moved on to working on the Nav Buoy. That was delayed by some RL issues (wife's health, getting sued for 25% of my annual salary, car troubles, etc) and was recently released. I'm sitting back now and enjoying some play time in Oolite, getting some serious play in for the first time since 1.73 was released. I'm actually NOT playing an Iron Adder for once, but instead maturing a full-fledged commander like normal.

I'm getting the urge to create again, and am debating between:
1) Complete re-do of the Nav Buoy
2) Finish some WiP planets
3) Do a ship from ground up (model, textures, etc)

I'll certainly take requests.... :P
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:

I have a request:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10239 :D
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
I have a few additional textures done, and several WiPs. But I stopped working on them to focus on a rewrite of DH_Systems. That hit a few major snags, and I moved on to working on the Nav Buoy. That was delayed by some RL issues (wife's health, getting sued for 25% of my annual salary, car troubles, etc) and was recently released. I'm sitting back now and enjoying some play time in Oolite, getting some serious play in for the first time since 1.73 was released. I'm actually NOT playing an Iron Adder for once, but instead maturing a full-fledged commander like normal.

Oooff sounds like some heavy times. Hope you are right now. Don't get me wrong. I was just asking for the state things are in. I myself started a company but I still want to create. At the moment I'm tempted to start on Famous Plantets for Galaxy 3. Yesterday I made my third intergalactic jump. Galaxy 2 was getting old for me so time for a fresh new galaxy with 'maybe' also new Famous Planets to make :D
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

pagroove wrote:
I know that they are released and where to find them but they where developed further.
As far as i am aware has development on system_Demux stopped for a while. Its a year ago that I had contact with its author DrBeeb. It had the most extended set of planets then and I have it still installed. Only the banded planets look wrong in lat-long maps, so I converted all banded planets to cube maps and uploaded them for DrBeeb. That was 4th september of 2010. Since than I have not heard from him, nor has anybody accessed those maps. For anybody interested in the cube maps: (Cube maps for system_Demux).
It are only a fraction of the maps I converted. Mainly the banded textures that look ugly when used as lat-long. To use, just replace the originals with these.

And I agree that the maps generated by Oolite are good now, so I changed the script so that the main planet keeps the original maps. With me only the added planets get the custom maps.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

pagroove wrote:
Simple question: Last year we had several planet sets into development: System Redux 2, System Demux and Deep Horizons. How are the developments on these projects?
System Redux 2

Most of the textures are finished but some still need to be converted to cubemap form. I've been waiting for Deep Horizons to be published before making System Redux 2 available so there will be two very distinct sets of planet textures. After spending so long on producing the images I didn't want them to appear in another planet texturing OXP shortly after publication. I am sure this isn't Cmd. Cheyd intention but I just wanted to reduce the likelihood of this happening.
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Kev - Go ahead and publish. I'm going in an entirely different direction for how I produce / select textures , and it's going to be a LONG time till I get the full set finished. No need to worry.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

Thanks Cmd. Cheyd, I will try and get everything ready for publication within the next few weeks.
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki