Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Solved] Debain 6.0.1/amd64+Oolite 1.75.2 -- speed troubles

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

WhiteOwl
Average
Average

[Solved] Debain 6.0.1/amd64+Oolite 1.75.2 -- speed troubles

Post by WhiteOwl »

Previously I had Ubuntu 10-11 (amd64) and Oolite 1.74.2 - everything was working perfectly, so I know that my hardware is powerful enough.
A week ago I replaced Ubuntu (tired of the Unity) and replaced it with the Debian 6.0.1 (also amd64). Downloaded the new Oolite and... well, I am unable to play at all. It gives me around 5 fps and each button had to be pressed for a second to get a response from the game.

According to Oolite's log, it is using:
13:32:07.348 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.0 ("2.1 Mesa 7.7.1"). Vendor: "Mesa Project". Renderer: "Software Rasterizer".

Tried to install nVidea-glx package - X.org failed to start at all. Looks like it does not recognize my display.

What to do? Where to look?
Ironfist
Commander
Commander

Re: Debain 6.0.1/amd64 + Oolite 1.75.2 -- speed troubles

Post by Ironfist »

WhiteOwl,
I had a very similar problem. This was fixed by changing the graphics card driver for one from the manufacturer. The one loaded by the OS did not have support for OpenGL.
Installing the driver fixed this completely. Hopefully it will for you as well.
64bit Mint 10 and Win 8 64bit on E8400 at 3.6GHz - ATI HD5750 graphics.
Concentration is the ability to think of absolutely nothing when it is absolutely necessary.
Ironfist
Commander
Commander

Post by Ironfist »

OK - I am an idiot and did not read all your post.
64bit Mint 10 and Win 8 64bit on E8400 at 3.6GHz - ATI HD5750 graphics.
Concentration is the ability to think of absolutely nothing when it is absolutely necessary.
WhiteOwl
Average
Average

Post by WhiteOwl »

Solved!

Solution which worked for me:
a) using Synaptic Package Manager install the package nvidia-glx
b) create (or modify) the /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Code: Select all

Section "Module"
	Load		"glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Video Card"
	Driver		"nvidia"
EndSection
c) reboot.

On my first attempt to install nvidia-glx I did not create the xorg.conf, and in my case the X.org failed to automatically load nvidia driver, (it tried to load vesa which does not work with wide monitors). Somehow before installation of nvidia-glx, X.org loaded the nouveau driver which worked perfectly (but without direct rendering). This last part is still puzzling me, but... well...
Once I realized that I need to specifically inform X.org which driver to load and created the xorg.conf - everything become wonderful.
McDjanoff
Competent
Competent

Post by McDjanoff »

Somehow before installation of nvidia-glx, X.org loaded the nouveau driver which worked perfectly (but without direct rendering). This last part is still puzzling me, but... well...
As the nouveau driver is not considered stable with the 3D rendering by the development team itself, this redenring isn't yet configured on Debian (unfortunely).
Note : to avoid any problem with kernel update, there is a DKMS package (nvidia-kernel-dkms) which rebuild the nvidia kernel module automatically ... great.

Regards,
B.
"In the space bar, the barbarians of all races"