Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Witchspace fuel tanks

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

leadslug
Average
Average

Witchspace fuel tanks

Post by leadslug »

Hello All

Firstly my first posting, so many thanks to those responsible for Oolite.

Secondly a suggestion (sounds like I am now terribly ungrateful)

Cargo space to be converted to internal fuel tanks?
5 tons of cargo space = 1 witchspace fuel internal fuel tank holding 50 units.
The ship could use this to replenish standard fuel storage ( eg hit key "L"), this would hold back a pilot using hyperspace across an entire galaxy.
This fuel could also be sold at the docking points ( resupplying rock hermits?)
No limit on how much extra fuel to be carried ( divisable by 5 )

Good cheer
Leadslug
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

How would that prevent me from jumping to the other side of the galaxy in my python?

Besides, this is a no-go-area type of suggestion. ;)

I'll release my wrex.oxp in small sections, starting with the debris.
There is a fuel-pod in there, that can refuel your tanks. (It's not perfect yet: it's supposed to refuel only one LY)
Riding the Rocket!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
How would that prevent me from jumping to the other side of the galaxy in my python?

Besides, this is a no-go-area type of suggestion. ;)
Hiya, Leadslug (nice avatar, BTW)

Arnoud: the max-jump would still be 7LJ, but there'd be an extra tank-compartiment, so you wouldn't have to dock or sunskim to refuel yourself after a jump...

(the 'techno-babble' for the 7LJ mx is that bigger jumps mess w/ space-time, nothing to do w/ your tanks' hold, it's more of a 'physical' constraint, like you only can jump so far, no matter how much coffee you drink (bad analogy)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Rxke wrote:
so you wouldn't have to dock or sunskim to refuel yourself after a jump...
The insensitive would turn over and go to sleep or have a cigarette first!!! :wink:
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
TedJ
Deadly
Deadly

Post by TedJ »

TGHC: But you would call in the morning, wouldn't you? :lol:

Welcome aboard Leadslug! I understand your desire for some form of auxillary fuel tanks... At the moment, I have to balance my maximum jump distance with the need to keep some WS fuel on hand in case I need my injectors, especially in feudal/anarchy systems. After some consideration, I've come to the conclusion that this adds an element of strategy to the game I've come to enjoy.

I'd be concerned that auxillary tanks would minimise the amount of time you spend flying in-system, which is the main part of the game after all. If you need to do multiple jumps, sun skimming isn't that hard.
leadslug
Average
Average

Post by leadslug »

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I agree that you would you lose some element of the game. I am really just applying what happens in reality to the game system, you very rarely see combat aircraft flying without aux tanks.

Also there is much decrepancies between the price of fuels between systems so fuel trading could be a lucrative form of income.

The hyperspace leaping could be resolved if the hyperspace drive had to be prepared prior to a leap (set time delay), perhaps...

More programming! :P

Anybody though about rail guns (just kidding)

Good cheer
Leadslug
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.