Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

BGS - BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: BGS - BackgroundSet

Post by onno256 »

Hey Guys,

I also use the BGS in combination with HyperRadio, makes for nice relaxing gameplay during those long hauls!

Greetz,
Onno.
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
Oathbreaker
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Oathbreaker »

Eric Walch wrote:
Gimi wrote:
I don't us a Mac, but this is a quote from Commander McLane.
Right-click the OXP to open the context menu, then choose 'view package' (or whatever the menu item reads in English).
The mac has no right or left mouse button in its basic configuration, although the the current mouses can be redefined so the clicking the right side is seen as a right click. If you use just 1 mouse button like me, you must ctrl-click to get that contextual menu.

And like MacLane I don't know the exact english text. The dutch text would translate to: 'view package content'.
I don't think I've ever even considered using a stock Apple mouse - single or double button. Apple generally has good design, but their mouses are aimed at a casual computer user. I'm more of a Razer Naga kinda guy (retired Wow moviemaker, raider, world pvp'er).

On my US iMac the right click option to use is "Show Package Contents" but even with that and the read_me I still can't seem to get the PAgroove thing to work. Which is a shame since I love his music.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Oathbreaker wrote:
Slightly overusing a speech loop, but wth.
Yep. The chatter uses customsounds.plist to preload the sounds. Probably I should have used a key per file to have a bit control about the selection, but I was lazy.-)
Oathbreaker wrote:
On my US iMac the right click option to use is "Show Package Contents" but even with that and the read_me I still can't seem to get the PAgroove thing to work. Which is a shame since I love his music.
Use Pagrooves BGS-Soundset_Pagroove1.3.3.oxp like any other OXP (extract and put the OXP in your AddOns folder together with BGS-A).

If your OS loads the OXPs in alphabetical order you probably don't have to do anything else (and in any case it's worth a try). If not, you'll need to replace the customsounds.plist in BGS with the one from BGS-Soundset_Pagroove1.3.3 to get the new sounds. A backup of the original plist doesn't hurt too .-)
Oathbreaker
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Oathbreaker »

Svengali wrote:
Use Pagrooves BGS-Soundset_Pagroove1.3.3.oxp like any other OXP (extract and put the OXP in your AddOns folder together with BGS-A).

If your OS loads the OXPs in alphabetical order you probably don't have to do anything else (and in any case it's worth a try). If not, you'll need to replace the customsounds.plist in BGS with the one from BGS-Soundset_Pagroove1.3.3 to get the new sounds. A backup of the original plist doesn't hurt too .-)
I installed BGS-A as normal and it worked. Then I ignored the instructions in PAgroove's read_me and just did the same thing, putting his addon in the same folder. This did nothing.

So I followed the instructions in the read_me and all that happened was that some sound FX were different, the only real noticeable thing being when lasers miss or score a hit - both of those sounds were different. I had been hoping for full-on background themed music along the lines of his stuff on his youtube channel, so I just went back to the basic BGS-A.

Also, I think it should be fairly simple to find random low-quality radio traffic control chatter mp3's or similar and just tweak the sound settings a bit, chop it up and you're good to go for some parts.

And whatever anyone does to BGS, please for the love of God, leave the "OK YOU'RE IN THE GOOEY NOW MAN" in there. Don't take it out. Please.

Fun anecdote: I used to sit Radio & Surface Radar Watch on a guided missile cruiser in the US Navy 7th fleet (i.e., West Pacific). That involved a lot of hours for weeks on end listening to random stuff, including basic civilian bridge-to-bridge radio. Turns out a lot of Phillipine civilian captains (don't ask me why there's so many 'Pinois' people on the oceans - I don't know) like to play music over their radios for the benefit of other random people, esp. in fishing waters.

Then we're smack out in the middle of nowhere cruising from Australia (iirc) toward Japan - miles away from the regular shipping channels. There's literally NOTHING on the radars for 12+ hrs. All of a sudden we have a contact going the other way. It's in the middle of the night, I keep an eye on it but it's constant speed & heading and a strong radar return, obviously just a freighter keeping his schedule (and those schedules are frickin' tight, lemme tell you). Then over the radio comes in a thick accent:

"Heh! US Navy! What the fuck you doin' here?"

I look at the officer of the deck (in charge of minute-to-minute course adjustments for the 6-hr watch), she picks up the mic and looks at me, we both shake our heads and make no reply.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Nice RL(tm) story Oathbreaker
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Oathbreaker wrote:
So I followed the instructions in the read_me and all that happened was that some sound FX were different, the only real noticeable thing being when lasers miss or score a hit - both of those sounds were different. I had been hoping for full-on background themed music along the lines of his stuff on his youtube channel, so I just went back to the basic BGS-A.
Ah, now I see. Pagrooves soundset ships 22 sounds (mainly jump, missiles, lasers and Aegis related) and 1 musicfile and is not a full set. The musicfile is simply added to the existing two entries in BGS and played when docked, randomly selected. BGS does not play music inflight, but you can use the Hyperradio (like onno256), the iTunes integration for Macs or Frames Random Docking Music.

And if you want more Pagroove music, take a look at his FamousPlanets2.5. This OXP ships 10 musicfiles and it would be fairly easy to create a Hyperradio station for his creations (see [wiki]Hyperradio_Howto_Musicpacks[/wiki]).
Oathbreaker wrote:
Also, I think it should be fairly simple to find random low-quality radio traffic control chatter mp3's or similar and just tweak the sound settings a bit, chop it up and you're good to go for some parts.
I think I'll tweak in a random pause as first step, then I'll look for some useable files to replace the last 5 or 6 chatter files.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I've got a big zip file full of real radio chatter (in Russian!) - 43 samples, in .wav format, but if somebody wants to convert them to ogg and utilise them, they're welcome to them - they're Freeware with unlimited distribution (I originally downloaded them for x-plane)

They can be found here:

http://www.box.net/shared/mjn9zif1xg0smmbmit2b

(PS I would have converted them myself but for some reason my app of choice SUPER, is not playing nicely today)
Selezen wrote:
Oathbreaker
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Oathbreaker »

Cheers for the suggestions.

I downloaded all the PAgroove stuff from http://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove , turned them into mp3's and now have a little 'Elite' playlist on iTunes. Not perfect but it works.

I'd nominate him to be in charge of a stock Oolite background music system, fully replaceable with current OXPs ofc, for the mythical Oolite 2.0.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Oathbreaker wrote:

I'd nominate him to be in charge of a stock Oolite background music system, fully replaceable with current OXPs ofc, for the mythical Oolite 2.0.
Since Ahruman is retiring from the project I guess it will be a very mythical Oolite 2 indeed. (Since Oolite 2 seemed to be mainly in Ahruman's head - that doesn't mean the rest of the Dev's couldn't take his ideas on of course.)
Selezen wrote:
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I've got a big zip file full of real radio chatter (in Russian!) - 43 samples, in .wav format, but if somebody wants to convert them to ogg and utilise them, they're welcome to them - they're Freeware with unlimited distribution (I originally downloaded them for x-plane)
Muchas gracias DaddyHoggy .-) I'll check the files this evening.
Oathbreaker
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Oathbreaker »

Ok, speaking of Russian:

we need a few different, once in a long while type, little spoken things in each of the major languages in the world, and also each of the languages from the home countries of the major contributors to this project. Chinese, Hindi, French, UK English, Southern American English etc.

1. Rip a line or two from http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3567435786# so Ian Bell and David Braben get in the game. Someone could email each of them and try to get them to say "Right On, Commander!" in a .wav file?
2. Get Aegidian and Ahruman to say something on tape and get it in.
3. Make sure that this type of stuff only happens maybe once every 10 hrs of gameplay so it's notable and cool instead of repetitive and boring.
4. Take the audio from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NEYE3tZJcw and either re-record it as spoken dialogue or remix it a bit to make it different enough to qualify as "fair use" and avoid any copyright charges. But let's not go overboard on the pop references.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Seriously, I'm not thinking about adding a lot more files. This is a job for other OXPs - BGS is already a bit unhandy, but ships a feature to easily embed other chatter files even without JS knowledge (see [wiki]BGS_Doc[/wiki]). I'm looking for two or three replacements and probably two new ones so it is 16 in total for the standard set.

And I'm looking currently for a easy way to control the distribution (or at least to randomize it enough). For Cabal_Common I've just added a new method to shuffle arrays and I think I'll use this one for some tests. The random pause is already working pretty well and seems to improve it even with the current distribution.

Aside from B&B (just let it slip away), a snippet from Ahruman and Aegidian sounds funny .-)
XB7
Competent
Competent

Post by XB7 »

This is the first time I've messed with Oolite on a Mac. For some reason, I can't seem to get the BGS oxp to work. I've ran BGS in Linux and I don't remember having to do anything special other than dropping the oxp in AddOns.

Oolite runs, bug BGS just doesn't load.

Other OXP's seem to be working fine.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Can you post your latest.log please? You find it when you open the Console application on the Mac (see the list of log files on the left side). I'm running Oolite with BGS on a Mac and don't have problems.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Yep. Latest.log will be necessary. And if trunk or nightly is used the revision...
Otherwise I'll have to take a look where this Ching Aling is. Must have put it somewhere...