Bug? Coriolis launching Rogue Frigates since 1.75.3

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Bug? Coriolis launching Rogue Frigates since 1.75.3

Post by m4r35n357 »

I am using

Code: Select all

station.launchShipWithRole("pirate", true);
and am getting the occasional Rogue Frigate launched. They are well over-sized for the Coriolis docking bay, and previous versions of Oolite refused to launch them. Has there been an intentional change to this behaviour?
Last edited by m4r35n357 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Coriolis launching Rogue Frigates

Post by Smivs »

maresnest, I had a rogue frigate launch using the original furball ages ago, probably while still using v1.74. It does (and did) happen. You can launch anything from a coriolis, you just can't dock it again. I once had a player version of my big (1.5Km) liner and it launched fine.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Smivs wrote:
maresnest, I had a rogue frigate launch using the original furball ages ago, probably while still using v1.74. It does (and did) happen. You can launch anything from a coriolis, you just can't dock it again. I once had a player version of my big (1.5Km) liner and it launched fine.
Well I've been logging this since my first version, and it always failed with a specific error before, can't comment on Caracal's version, because I can't remember! This is definitely a recent change of behaviour in the core game.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

m4r35n357 wrote:
This is definitely a recent change of behaviour in the core game.
What is? Big ships including rogue frigates could always be launched. The game 'engine' was designed with only the core ships in mind, and they are all launchable, so to include a prohibition on big ships probably wasn't even thought about.
As I said I had a rogue frigate (NPC) launched way back with 1.74 and could also launch my player liner, so this is nothing new. If they couldn't launch, that would be new. As the errors were occuring with early versions of your OXP, that is the likely source, and it sounds like you fixed it anyway. :P
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Smivs wrote:
m4r35n357 wrote:
What is? Big ships including rogue frigates could always be launched. The game 'engine' was designed with only the core ships in mind, and they are all launchable, so to include a prohibition on big ships probably wasn't even thought about.
As I said I had a rogue frigate (NPC) launched way back with 1.74 and could also launch my player liner, so this is nothing new. If they couldn't launch, that would be new. As the errors were occuring with early versions of your OXP, that is the likely source, and it sounds like you fixed it anyway. :P
Here's the proof, I backed out to 1.75.2:

19:13:16.800 [station.launchShip.failed]: Cancelled launch for a Rogue Frigate with role pirate, as it is too large for the docking port of the Torus Station - Obnoxicorp HQ.
This is a question for the devs, is there any intentional change to this behaviour in 1.75.3?
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

m4r35n357 wrote:
Smivs wrote:
m4r35n357 wrote:
You misunderstand, there weren't errors in my early versions, the errors were (correctly IMO) thrown by the core game. My problem has only started with 1.75.3, and is not fixed. Here's the proof, I backed out to 1.75.2:

19:13:16.800 [station.launchShip.failed]: Cancelled launch for a Rogue Frigate with role pirate, as it is too large for the docking port of the Torus Station - Obnoxicorp HQ.
This is a question for the devs, is there any intentional change to this behaviour in 1.75.3?
Last edited by m4r35n357 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Bug? Coriolis launching Rogue Frigates

Post by Smivs »

The Torus station is OXP, have you looked there for an answer?
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Bug? Coriolis launching Rogue Frigates

Post by m4r35n357 »

Smivs wrote:
The Torus station is OXP, have you looked there for an answer?
The torus is irrelevant, it is doing the right thing, on the PREVIOUS version of Oolite.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

m4r35n357 wrote:
Here's the proof, I backed out to 1.75.2:

There should have been no change. The only thing that changed is that in 1.75.2 it compared the bounding box of the main entity with the docking port and thereby ignoring the size of the subentities. I noticed this bug when a pirate rock launched a liberator. Most of that ship are subentities and the hull fits the docking port.

I only changed the bounding box in the equation to total bounding box. But now I have a strong feeling that this went wrong. The total bounding box is recalculated on every update, but probably the size comparison on launch happens before the first update were the box size is still undefined or zero.

A similar bug was there with lining up for docking. That also looked originally alone for the height-width ration of the main entity. For that I even created a test ship that had a height-width ratio of the main entity that was opposite to the height-width ratio of the total entity. That ship lined up wrong in 1.75.2 and correct in 1.75.3. So, this I intensively tested, while the other thing went in without explicit field test. Seemed such a straight forward fix.

EDIT: Added now an explicit size calculation on launch and that seems to work correct now.
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Eric Walch wrote:
EDIT: Added now an explicit size calculation on launch and that seems to work correct now.
Thanks for the very detailed reply, still digesting the information . . . sounds like it'll be OK in the next version then?