Noob, just a couple of questions

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Sidsick
Poor
Poor

Noob, just a couple of questions

Post by Sidsick »

Hi, New to oolite but an old hand at Elite. Which folder should the oxps go into also which oxps should i avoid, i like to keep a level playing feild and a classic feel. On the oolite sight the screenshots show the planets looking very detailed and coloured but mine are not do i have to download something?

Cheers
Sidsick
Poor
Poor

Post by Sidsick »

Just found the wiki!! but still cant understand the planet skins.
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

the planets aren't skinned, but randomly chosen from colours and blur settings (see planetinfo on how to manipulate).

planetskins are possible, but not appearing in any OXPs ATM, except for Lave.oxp where there is a skinned moon that is reported to not be working in the PC port.
The man next to you is your lunch
Flying_Circus
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Flying_Circus »

As for the "Which OXPs should I avoid, for now?"question, I'll happily volunteer anything by me (See login name, here <-). I tend to produce NPC ships which are not only aimed at making life harder for longterm players who like getting shot at, occassionally (be they legit, or criminal players), but I also produce models whose overall style (I'd say) clashes and jars with 'classic Elite' the way a tweed jacket will argue with a pair of blue jeans (i.e. smart or casual... there is no such thing as 'smart casual').

This is my own choice, however, and quite a few people seem to like it. It depends how much of a purist you are. I will restate, that I suspect some of my ships could make it quite hard for new players (except, ironically the 'Llama'... which isn't really my ship, of course :))
And so I gave myself to God. There was a pregnant pause before He said "OK"