Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Maneuverability Preferences

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

What maneuverability level do you like?

Very sluggish
No votes
Slow
11%
Medium
67%
Sensitive
15%
Very Sensitive (a.k.a. touchy, touchy)
7%

Total votes: 27

Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Maneuverability Preferences

Post by Dragonfire »

In test flying the DSE ship series Zieman and I just created, I found that maneuverability has pros and cons on both sides of the spectrum. Low maneuv is useful, and high manev is useful.

So...what is YOUR take on it? Which do you prefer?
Oathbreaker
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Maneuverability Preferences

Post by Oathbreaker »

Keyboard player. I find myself frequently taking the game down to half-speed in order to have some meaningful combat.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

High with the sensitivity mapped to a button on the joystick...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
High with the sensitivity mapped to a button on the joystick...
+1
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

I tend towards being a long range sniper, so for me mouse is the only way to go. Combines the best of both worlds.
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
Azured
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Azured »

I play with the keyboard on a relatively small laptop, so sniping is not an option for me. I'm flying a Cobra mk.3 and it has all the manouverability that I need. I'd actually prefer a more cumbersome ship to do some sniping and have more meaningful dogfights.
I like my women how I like my laser beams: Thin and bristling with concealed power.
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Well, not sure what the standards are, but since we usually base most things on the default Cobra MKII, I guess that'd be medium? And since I usually leave the precision joystick mode on, it would be the slow side of medium.

If it turns any faster than that, it just doesn't feel like the ship is actually big. I mean, a Cobra MK III (for example) is supposed to be about as big as a good-sized house or so. That much metal shouldn't be able to flip around as fast as a skateboard or something. LOL I like it to feel like it's believably some tons of metal with big roaring engines on the back of it.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

As had been said hundreds of times dimensions and OOphysics comparison's to RL(tm) are utterly pointless - the Cobra Mk III can behave however it wants as long as it feels right inside the game and in comparison to everything else.
Selezen wrote:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Ganelon wrote:
Well, not sure what the standards are, but since we usually base most things on the default Cobra MKII, I guess that'd be medium? And since I usually leave the precision joystick mode on, it would be the slow side of medium.

If it turns any faster than that, it just doesn't feel like the ship is actually big. I mean, a Cobra MK III (for example) is supposed to be about as big as a good-sized house or so. That much metal shouldn't be able to flip around as fast as a skateboard or something. LOL I like it to feel like it's believably some tons of metal with big roaring engines on the back of it.
Tsk Tsk :roll:
Selezen wrote:
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

I stand corrected on the point of my typo. I meant MKIII. :roll:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
As had been said hundreds of times dimensions and OOphysics comparison's to RL(tm) are utterly pointless - the Cobra Mk III can behave however it wants as long as it feels right inside the game and in comparison to everything else.
That's exactly what I'm talking about.

For me, personally, a ship that turns faster feels smaller. I think of the Cobra MKIII as being a certain size, and with a joystick and precision mode on (which is slower than keyboard controls) that's right about where it feels right for me. There could be ten pages of equations showing that with the hypothetical gear onboard it could turn maybe four times quicker, and for me it still wouldn't feel right if it did. :)

Probably a lot of such personal preference is what one is most accustomed to, though.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

IMO manoueverability should be an aspect of the ship, not the player. regardless if the majority of people like "high manoueverability", if your ship is a big heavy gunship it should fly accordingly, etc.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I rather wish the keyboard had a precision aiming mode like the mouse and joystick has.
The Adder is dang near useless in a dogfight unless the enemy is either huge or in-my-face...otherwise I can't hit anything.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Killer Wolf wrote:
IMO manoueverability should be an aspect of the ship, not the player. regardless if the majority of people like "high manoueverability", if your ship is a big heavy gunship it should fly accordingly, etc.
What he said....
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Azured
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Azured »

I remember a game way back on the C64 called Steel Thunder. It was a pretty sophisticated tank simulator game for its time. It had a 3-step toggle for the aiming sensitivity and was a great help when firing the main gun of a MBT. The default setting did not modify the sensitivity of the controls, the middle setting approximately halved the turning speed and the final step was maybe half of the middle setting. It was invaluable whether one was blitzkriegin' through an enemy camp or sniping enemy tanks from many kilometers away.

Surely such a device could be implemented into Oolite?
I like my women how I like my laser beams: Thin and bristling with concealed power.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Killer Wolf wrote:
Here! Here!

<applause>

<standing ovation>

<cheers>

<1 boo > :P

<wild applause and cheers as they drag the bum out and beat him senseless> :lol:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs