Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Interplanetary "Finances"

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

If you need more credits, how do you get them?

Save, save, save! I'll get there in time.
24%
The Black Monks are my friends!
1%
Look for big bounty (or a bunch of targets).
28%
I must not be mining enough.
6%
Time to hijack some more cargo.
18%
Forget GalCop, the price of narcotics is great in Zaonce!
10%
Time for a long-haul contract.
12%
Dip into my "personal savings" (go edit my save file).
1%

Total votes: 90

Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Interplanetary "Finances"

Post by Dragonfire »

You want a new ship/need an equipment upgrade/are in a greedy mood. How do you get more money?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Interplanetary "Finances"

Post by Thargoid »

Normally P.credits = 20000000000 or whatever.

The joys of the JS debug console ;)
Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Commander Wilmot »

I save up and do lots of random hits contracts at the hard level. I once did duels at the royal hunting lodges, but the stupid nobles finally realized that giving me 10:1 odds when I bet 10,000 credits is handing me money.

Lots and lots of money.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Thank you, I've done very well for myself and don't need more credits 8)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Narcotics smuggling, random hits and pirating pirates is my main money maker. Takes a while but hey that's Oolife...
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Matti
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Matti »

I do normal cargo runs: from poor agricultural to rich industrial and back. On the way I frag offenders, fugitives and thargoids when I see them. That way I've got pimped my Cobra3 with two military lasers, sniper sight, energy & shield expansions, targeting & navigation systems etc. I use normal missiles, not the expensive hardheads or mines.

[edit]
I take contracts for Galactic Navy too. Earns me good bounty and more salvage than my Cobra can take.
stop4stuff
Above Average
Above Average

Post by stop4stuff »

I'm pretty much the same as matti above... just keep plodding on, except I'm using my own ship (under the guise of 'play testing' ;) ) - my ship is nothing special though, 40T cargo with the extended cargo bay, fairly quick (0.4) but big & slow manuvering... I have to run from big groups of pirates, which can make like interesting.

My son on the other hand started out with 'combat training', firing upon whatever moved, then restarting the game. Once he'd got used to the game physics, I set him up with a nice lump sum (as any good father would do) so he can just flit about causing mayhem with a fully spec'd out Cobby.
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

I do pretty much anything and everything short of the Black Monks or editing the savegame file. My non-pirate character keeps it to "anything legal", but that can include narcotics and firearms, so long as one isn't trying to leave a main station with them.

To be honest, though, when I've gotten an "offender" status it's mostly been for actually defending myself when near a station and the Vipers are showing no sign of coming out to help, And "fugitive" status has usually been when I have offender status and some yay-hoo in a Viper decides they're bucking for a raise or perhaps is just feeling suicidal. Of course, if I'm already at "fugitive", and note there's too much police presence in my home system, well.. May as well go duck hunting and clear out some excess purple before attending to fixing the legal status.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Ganelon wrote:
I do pretty much anything and everything short of the Black Monks or editing the savegame file. My non-pirate character keeps it to "anything legal", but that can include narcotics and firearms, so long as one isn't trying to leave a main station with them.

To be honest, though, when I've gotten an "offender" status it's mostly been for actually defending myself when near a station and the Vipers are showing no sign of coming out to help, And "fugitive" status has usually been when I have offender status and some yay-hoo in a Viper decides they're bucking for a raise or perhaps is just feeling suicidal. Of course, if I'm already at "fugitive", and note there's too much police presence in my home system, well.. May as well go duck hunting and clear out some excess purple before attending to fixing the legal status.
Black Monks are fair game as far as I'm concerned, but only from a safe distance :-) I just don't like their business model and I like to think I'm doing my bit by throwing a small spanner in their works. (...I wonder if their stations are destructible? I've got a Q-bomb that's just begging...)

I find running Fugitive more trouble than it's worth. Best solution is to find a couple of systems <2LY to each other, then do a bit of jumping to and fro until you're Clean again. But then, the beauty of this game is each to his / her own.
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Money is a lie created by the government to control the masses!!!

Tinfoil Hats were originally developed by the CIA as a way of reading paranoid peoples minds!!!!!

Unidentified Flying Objects are really <This message has been censored by [CENSORED] >!!!!!!!

O_o

We're through the looking glass people.

Oh and shying away from ADCK's warped mind and back on the subject of money, I found this on one of my fav webcomics today:

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

:lol:

I needed a good laugh. Now if only 6 billion other humans woke up to this reality things would change.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Well yeah. But that's why you have a ship's safe for gems and precious metals.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

I scoop and sell cargo that was previously held by pirates, but that is not how I started as a Jameson. Back then I bought low and sold high as has been told many times before. I would avoid the space lanes until I had sufficiently equipped my ship so I could tangle with the bad guys. At present, I rarely buy cargo. Sometimes I dock with nothing to sell, but that doesn't happen very often.
Azured
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Azured »

I trade in the most hostile systems there are. Surprisingly, many feudal systems have proven to be safe havens when compared to some multi-governments. Anyways, my main source of income comes from robbing thieves (scooping up pirate cargo), sour milk runs (trading between hostile systems) and head hunting (bounties and forced misjumps to get to kill some Thargoids).

I've never given much thought to mining, but that is because my Cobra's cargo bay seems to be to small for it. The Black Monks and their business model are just plain ridiculous. I'm not very wealthy, but I've got an honestly steeled behind on my Cobra and the concept of cheating has never seemed very alluring to me.
I like my women how I like my laser beams: Thin and bristling with concealed power.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Azured wrote:
Surprisingly, many feudal systems have proven to be safe havens when compared to some multi-governments.
That has been my experience as well.