Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

I May Regret This...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: I May Regret This...

Post by another_commander »

Dragonfire wrote:
I decided that my Ooniverse is too boring. I'm spending a few hours loading EVERY SINGLE OXP SHIP EVER into Oolite.!
If you think it's boring, then instead of loading every single ship, why don't you try restarting from Lave/100Cr every time you get destroyed? You will find that by applying some very simple disciplines like this one, the level of difficulty and interest in the game will be boosted to levels unreachable by whatever new collections of ships you decide to add. This is what Cmdr Cheyd calls Ironman game and I have to say I am quite a big fan of this gameplay style. That's where men get separated from the boys and, believe me, you won't even need any OXPs for this. The vanilla set will provide more than enough challenge in this type of game.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

ADCK wrote:
CaptSolo wrote:
Dragonfire wrote:
I fly a tricked out Morrigan.
I know at least one person on this board (not me) who stayed with the Cobra Mark III and he is now "ELITE". Can you imagine that? I upgraded to a ship with just a wee bit better specs Than the Cobra when I could afford her, but won't be buying any more ships. Its more fun and challenging living on the edge in this game.
Now all you have to do is start a new game, buy an Adder, and never upgrade to another ship, Get Elite in an Adder and you'll be King of the Universe!!!
I'll accept that challenge, except the part about being King of the Universe.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

another_commander wrote:
Dragonfire wrote:
I decided that my Ooniverse is too boring. I'm spending a few hours loading EVERY SINGLE OXP SHIP EVER into Oolite.!
If you think it's boring, then instead of loading every single ship, why don't you try restarting from Lave/100Cr every time you get destroyed? You will find that by applying some very simple disciplines like this one, the level of difficulty and interest in the game will be boosted to levels unreachable by whatever new collections of ships you decide to add. This is what Cmdr Cheyd calls Ironman game and I have to say I am quite a big fan of this gameplay style. That's where men get separated from the boys and, believe me, you won't even need any OXPs for this. The vanilla set will provide more than enough challenge in this type of game.
Clearly Dragonfire is not that kind of player. But to each his own. As long as he doesn't complain to the Devs or OXP writers that the game doesn't play/run very well with 100+ ship OXPs installed...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

When I said boring, I meant not enough variety. The challenge is just fine the way I have it, but I plum don't have the time to dedicate to the "vanilla" version of the game and actually get anywhere satisfying.
Squeek
Competent
Competent

Post by Squeek »

DaddyHoggy wrote:

As the Chinese say (as a warning) - "May you live in interesting times"
A bit off-topic, but I believe that's less of a warning and more of a veiled curse.

Also, I tried bounty-hunting in an adder for a long time before I decided that I couldn't master combat enough to make many credits.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

ADCK wrote:
Now all you have to do is start a new game, buy an Adder, and never upgrade to another ship, Get Elite in an Adder and you'll be King of the Universe!!!
Are you mad!?
Took bloomin months to gain Elite in my Cobby3.
That was way back when.
Even in Oolite before I knew about oxps it took months.
Now with the oxpers I have, it's near on impossible to start as Jammie and go more that a few profit making jumps.
An Adder... Pphutt. No chance. Not without taking out the oxpers anyway.

Another good reason for not hard coding what should be oxp.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!