"Wyvern" Ship Collaboration Proposal

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: "Wyvern" Ship Collaboration Proposal

Post by Wildeblood »

Wyvern wrote:
what i for one call immaturity, is to propose an über-ship and justify it's specs as reasonable.
He doesn't have to "justify" it, it doesn't have to be "reasonable", he has to enjoy it. And it's not your prerogative to approve or disapprove.
Dragonfire wrote:
Whatddayasay guys?
What I say is, I dunno what time zone you're in, but it's 4 in the morning here. Nighty-night all and have a look at the pretty pics I posted. There's even an icesteroid in one. :D
Wyvern Mommy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wyvern Mommy »

it might not be my prerogative to stop him, and for the record: that's not my intention, anyway.

but i do have an opinion. are you telling me i don't have the prerogative to state it?
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

Dudes, just let it go and let's move on. Everyone gets what THEY want for their Ooniverse with this. So let's get down to business.

Smivs is skinning, and Wildeblood is providing the HUD. Now we just need a modeler. Any takers?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Dragonfire wrote:
Dudes, just let it go and let's move on. Everyone gets what THEY want for their Ooniverse with this. So let's get down to business.

Smivs is skinning, and Wildeblood is providing the HUD. Now we just need a modeler. Any takers?
Open it up as a comp - and pick the one that most fits your imaginings!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

Ummm...okay, not quite sure what you're talking about. I assume you mean a competition? In which case, that's not a bad idea...I'll start a new topic and do that now.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Dragonfire wrote:
Ummm...okay, not quite sure what you're talking about. I assume you mean a competition? In which case, that's not a bad idea...I'll start a new topic and do that now.
Yes, "comp" in what I'd hoped was a generic shortening of the word competition. Glad you think it's a good idea (it does happen occasionally!)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

Modeling competition can be found HERE. I think, in the end, I may just select my top three favorites, then let the community decide.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Okay, long post covering various things in this thread coming up...

Game balance is an issue for many, but we all have our own spectrum of what we consider uber. As the proud owner of a Caduceus Omega, I can safely say that my tolerance is higher than many other commanders. The first set of proposals made me wince, but the revised set look possibly bearable to me (that sounds harsh, but I can't think of a better word of the top of my head), and the "Realist" version may well just find a place in the top end "uber" part of my Ooniverse, although it's pushing it and I'd have to try it and see. They seem exceedingly fast, but they also appear to have low roll/pitch, so would like to see how face them in combat. I would never consider flying one myself, but they would be an interesting opponent to come across.

I would probably suggest raising the tech level you can buy them at up a couple of notches, as that seems rather low for such a valuable ship to be available at.

Dragonfire should be congratulated on being accommodating enough to consider two versions of specs, and for taking criticisms on board. He's posted his suggestions, acknowledged feedback, and modified them to fit in with more with other peoples' ideas. Which is what you should do if you propose an oxp and ask for feedback. Okay, his specs are still very much on the high end, but as I said, different people have different tolerances. And there are almost certainly a number of players who like flashy super-speedy ships. If people want it, they'll download it; otherwise, they won't. He shouldn't be afraid to stick to his guns and produce the oxp he wants to, and not be forced to deviate too far from his original concept.

I consider myself to be a wandering fighter exploring the 8, occasionally for hire. As a result, I want a ship fit for bounty hunting and killing, but with the cargo hold room to be able to scoop up after them. That's where I make my money to keep afloat. The bounties on a ship are usually small and insignificant compared to this. I enjoy the thrill of taking down any pirates I meet in the space lanes. I don't want to have to rely on trading to allow me to to this. Which is part of why I like the Caddy so much. It's got enough cargo room for my purposes, and is a deadly ship to boot. I look at so called bounty hunting ships, but with their minuscule cargo holds I would be forced to take Random Hits contracts to keep afloat, and would lose the freedom to wander where and when I choose.
Grey Area
Competent
Competent

Post by Grey Area »

Dragonfire wrote:
This ship would be a bounty hunter's dream come true....
A cloaked Caduceus Omega already is a bounty hunter's dream come true. :twisted:

To my mind, the ship you are describing seems more of an uber-smuggler or blockade-runner than a bounty hunter, but each to their own.

100TC would be completely OTT!

Surely a bounty-hunter makes their money from despatching malefactors and scooping up cargo left behind by the late unlamented? The trick is to only keep the stuff with a high resale value and dump low-value cargo like food, textiles and minerals.

I reduced the capacity on my beloved Caddy Omega to 20TC and do very nicely indeed, financially speaking.
I said, I've got a big stick....
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

"Cargo Capacity: 5
Cargo Bay Extension: 170"

?
i thought the cargo bay extension gave a set amount of extra space, 15t?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

No, you can set how much it gives in shipdata.plist.

However your quoted numbers there look very odd ;)
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

Frankly, I'm finding it tough to fill up my 100 TC cargo bay. Maybe I SHOULD drop the extension on the "red" down to 40?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

100TC is a trading ship, so needs to be used thus. Buy all the computers and top up with luxuries where they are cheap, then take furs and booze back the other way.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

Lol, apparently the Red's specs already have a maximum 50 TC, which is more in the range of a bounty hunter. For those that like the tiny cargo bays, tho, the default is a mere 10 TC.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Cheers Thargoid. Tho going back to the argument about equipment that only the player can have etc, it means an NPC ship w/ a cargo bay extension would never benefit from these values, it seems? i suppose it doen't matter in that i don't think it's relatable to the amount of cargo that might get jettisoned or left after death, is it?