Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

just landed here

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

In any case, with supported 3D on SiS, it probably won't be anything to write home about (I suspect it'll be about equivalent to the Intel onboard 3D, which gets only around 15fps on average on a 2GHz machine). Best thing to do is to get an nVidia GeForce. Even an old one would do quite well - I bet you can pick the 4200ti for almost nothing today (that's the card I have, I get 100fps with Oolite and that card. I bought that card in Jan 2003).
cactuar
Above Average
Above Average

Post by cactuar »

Hey don't knock the card - it does it's job. I can play Deus Ex with it, which is all i've really needed it for.

I do have an ATI Rage 128 knocking about, although I promised that i'd stick it in my brother's computer. Maybe I will "lose" it :wink:
TedJ
Deadly
Deadly

Post by TedJ »

The Rage 128 may do the trick, although you may need to read through the bundled x.org documentation to get DRI up and running. I've also heard that acceleration only works with 16bpp displays.

An early Gforce may be the answer... Using a Gforce4 440mx I get a consistent 50+ FPS, which is plenty. Also, in my experience the nVidia drivers "just work".
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Generally, for chipsets with open source support, I've found that Ubuntu and Fedora Core 'just work' and you get working 3D support. Nvidia usually has precompiled drivers for Fedora Core, and Ubuntu distribute some proprietary drivers (however, if you don't have a kernel that nvidia have a precompiled driver for, the nvidia driver installer is pretty painless and it builds one for you).