Cop Bopping

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Dilbert
Competent
Competent

Cop Bopping

Post by Dilbert »

Just got queue jumped by a GalCop while leaving a station. Real close. So I bumped the guy. Then bumped him again, just to test my Military Shield Enhancement. On the third bump he exploded, my kill score increased by one but my Legal Status DIDN'T flip to Fugitive. Have I discovered a new technique...? :twisted:
Please slow your engines and do not attempt to dodge our lasers, criminal!
Yeah, right!
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

No. It's how I bump off traders all the time in safe systems right under the noses of the cops!
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Hmm - perhaps I ought to start introducing cumulative (but minor) legal penalties for clumsy driving around cops and stations.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I would think an expensive major bodywork and maintainence overhaul would be needed after a cumulative series of fender benders.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

As long as your shields are better than theirs, there's no damage, normally.
Dilbert
Competent
Competent

Post by Dilbert »

Hmm - perhaps I ought to start introducing cumulative (but minor) legal penalties for clumsy driving around cops and stations.
Damn, shouldn't have said anything. Now Daddy's going to take our toys away. :(
Yeah, right!
Odo987
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Cop Bopping

Post by Odo987 »

Dilbert wrote:
Just got queue jumped by a GalCop while leaving a station. Real close. So I bumped the guy. Then bumped him again, just to test my Military Shield Enhancement. On the third bump he exploded,
Those GalCops are terrible drivers. I was on manual approach to a station when a GalCop launched, glided gracefully for a few seconds, then slammed straight into the navigation beacon. Totally destroying both him and the beacon.

My docking became slightly more complicated because I was laughing so hard. It was further complicated by the non-existance of the beacon. It became even more complicated due to wave after wave of GalCops pouring out of the station. Presumably the destruction of the beacon and/or one of their own set off some sort of alarm.
Attacking a Navigational Beacon is illegal. Police are on their way.
Dilbert
Competent
Competent

Post by Dilbert »

...Totally destroying both him and the beacon.
Brilliant! Wish I'd been there!! :D
Yeah, right!
Evil Juice
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Evil Juice »

The occurrence of someone (somebyte) bumping into the beacon is quite normal, in fact if i'm far from the station and pointing it w/ the advanced space compass (N triangle) it often just disappears and the compass resets itself on the planet. When I get there the beacon is no more, and i often find one or two canisters around.
Target lost
Lanx
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Lanx »

Wasn't this bumping into the navigation beacon fixed in some earlier version of Oolite? As far as I remember, it was quite common just after the introduction of the navigation beacon, but then was fixed in a later patch since the protests on all GalCop planets became more and more vicious ...
Evil Juice
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Evil Juice »

Actually i never ever played before 1.62. There's a lot of Kamikaze guys out there, and even the docking routines, if the space in front of the space station is very crowded can lead you to a direct hit on someone.
Target lost
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I still have this exact same problem with the Tionisla GY code - the AI will NOT detect if there is an object in the flight path and maneouver the ship out of the way. I think the dead Krait count is now in the hundreds.
Cmdr. Wombat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Cmdr. Wombat »

Selezen wrote:
I still have this exact same problem with the Tionisla GY code - the AI will NOT detect if there is an object in the flight path and maneouver the ship out of the way. I think the dead Krait count is now in the hundreds.
So the togy.oxp now has a combat ranking of Competent or Dangerous?
It is generally inadvisable to eject over the target you just bombed.