Later version than Vortex 1.11 ?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

greenseng
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Later version than Vortex 1.11 ?

Post by greenseng »

It works now - at least when it comes to the cargo. But...

I think I pass. Because you have to make a Maintenance every second jump.
And with a cost of about 21000 credits every time - it is simply too expensive.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Two questions:

1) Have you been taking it into serious combat and getting a lot of chunks shot off it?
2) Have you been using the turret switcher?

The maintenance hauls don't sound right to me. Presuming 1) isn't true and you're deserving such, it could be the latter isn't working properly. The turrets are sub-ents and the switcher removes them to turn them off (and restores them to turn them on again). But if the station sees them as turned off it offers a maintenance overhaul to restore them.

The scripting is designed to restore them on docking and if necessary remove them on launch again (to maintain the status) but it may be that this part isn't working properly for some reason.
greenseng
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by greenseng »

Thargoid wrote:
Two questions:

1) Have you been taking it into serious combat and getting a lot of chunks shot off it?

The maintenance hauls don't sound right to me. Presuming 1) isn't true and you're deserving such, it could be the latter isn't working properly. The turrets are sub-ents and the switcher removes them to turn them off (and restores them to turn them on again). But if the station sees them as turned off it offers a maintenance overhaul to restore them.

The scripting is designed to restore them on docking and if necessary remove them on launch again (to maintain the status) but it may be that this part isn't working properly for some reason.

..."Presuming 1) isn't true and you're deserving such..." - Eat Cactus. If you're a Thargoid you know what I refer to. Was the Cargo-problem not true? Use your head.

The Turrets were in their default-stat.

And I was never in any serious combat either. First I thought that I had done a maintenance, that actually came too fast after I bought the ship. But that I of some reason had done a mistake and loaded the wrong file, as the next maintanance came two jumps later.

After that I avoided enemy-ships and was just interested in next maintenance.
It came two jumps afterwards.
No fighting.
Nothing.

There is something wrong with this ship.

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Thargoid wrote:
Two questions:

Perhaps this is related to the sub-ent problem experienced by the ferdelance 3G in a recent thread. If I remember correctly it may have been solved for 1.75.3 :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
greenseng
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by greenseng »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
Two questions:

Perhaps this is related to the sub-ent problem experienced by the ferdelance 3G in a recent thread. If I remember correctly it may have been solved for 1.75.3 :)

Didn't even know about 1.75.3 . I have 1.75.2 . Guess it's time for an upgrade.

As I havn't dived into the ocean of scripting, I do not know what sort of control the scriptor has when it comes to maintenance.
The frequence of maintenance must be built on something and damage only, is not enough.
Maybe the cost of the ship and/or the pilots economy may be some parameters when it comes to the frequence.
But hopefully not - as it can bring problems of unrealism.

Maybe there was a problem with the maintenance-"rhytm" in 1.75.2 or Thargoid has an interference while handling these turrets as - if I have understood things somehow correctly - you are able to access the maintenance through the handling of turrets. If this is true, then it is a kind of option that will beg for trouble.

Anyway - I am happily back to my slightly modified Boa Clipper. 1 million credits has gone to a hotter place as I messed up the save-file before installing Vortex.
( I am the master of the universe when it comes to mess up things ) .
But who cares? Credits are just - credits. ( Easy to say when you have a lot of them. At least in the attractive but dangerous universe of Oolite ) . :)

Will probably not be fully satisfied until I design my own ship. And probably not even then.

But... I can smell a lot of work here, when it comes to creating new ships.
But, as there are no dangerous creatures around right now, that sometimes smells of perfume - I don't have to defend myself.
Soo... maybe there is some time.

Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

There are two basic kinds of ships in Oolite as far as Maintenance goes.

Those with bits that can be shot off (turrets etc) (known technically as frangible sub entities) and those without.

Maintenance overhauls for ships without frangible sub entities are triggered once the trade in factor has dropped below a certain point (75% IIRC).

The trade in factor itself drops as the ship is taking damage. Basically if you've had warnings about equipment/cargo being damaged/destroyed it is likely your trade in factor has also gone down. I think it also slowly reduce over time with many witch jumps.

Ships with frangible sub entities are offered an overhaul as soon as the game recognises one is missing. Thargoid's code is supposed to prevent that for the Vortex, but may not be working correctly, or it might be a bug in the game (which might already be fixed for a future release as COTB was saying).

1.75.3 isn't released yet as a full beta. Nightly builds are on 1.75.3.xxxx though.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
greenseng
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by greenseng »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
There are two basic kinds of ships in Oolite as far as Maintenance goes.

Those with bits that can be shot off (turrets etc) (known technically as frangible sub entities) and those without.

Maintenance overhauls for ships without frangible sub entities are triggered once the trade in factor has dropped below a certain point (75% IIRC).

The trade in factor itself drops as the ship is taking damage. Basically if you've had warnings about equipment/cargo being damaged/destroyed it is likely your trade in factor has also gone down. I think it also slowly reduce over time with many witch jumps.

Ships with frangible sub entities are offered an overhaul as soon as the game recognises one is missing. Thargoid's code is supposed to prevent that for the Vortex, but may not be working correctly, or it might be a bug in the game (which might already be fixed for a future release as COTB was saying).

1.75.3 isn't released yet as a full beta. Nightly builds are on 1.75.3.xxxx though.

...Interesting.

The more I know, the more I become aware of - that I didn't know how much I don't know. :roll:
( A rather complicated way to tell something extremely naturally ) .

I have looked a little how the Boa Clipper behaves.

It holds a special value for some jumps. Then it decreases with a small percentage. Then it holds that value until it's time for a new small decrease.
Because of that, it will take some time between the maintanances.

As I don't like that the shields drops below zero, the ship is rarely damaged. But, of course, maybe even the shields' behaviour can affect the ships' value.
That is something more I don't know anything about.

But... I have noticed that the amount of jumps affects the value of the ship.

I may be wrong here as I don't know anything about turrets - but I strongly suspect that the percentage that decreases the value of the Vortex, is maybe too high.
I don't know anything about how this percentage is calculated and which parameters affects it.
But.. maybe I am wrong here. Wouldn't be too surprized if I am.

Could of course find out about this by installing the ship again and make the same statistics as for the Boa ... but honestly... I just get headache.
And headache is something I have problem with enough as it is.

The Planets' technical Level also affects the value of the ship. If a maintanance is performed on a planet with a high TL then its value will be higher.
One reason is, of course, because they can handle more equipment. But maybe a high TL will affect the value in a positive way.

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

It is said you get a better overhaul at a high-tech...better facilities, better qualified technicians etc...and this is reflected in the value of the ship. Also ships generally cost more at high-techs.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Smivs wrote:
...Also ships generally cost more at high-techs.
I don't know if this is true for plain ships, but certainly not for pre-equiped ships. For all equipment a new ship has, but is normally not available at the local tech level, you have to pay a premium. And the more the techlevels differ, the higher the premium is.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The Vortex code is indeed designed to try and overcome the unwanted overhauls for sub-ents when they are removed.

This could indeed be triggered by the turret switching code (if you switch the turrets off it removes them, and hence the game would be trying to use a maint overhaul to put them back again). But by scripting when you are about to dock all ship sub-ents get restored, and only when you launch again do they selectively get removed (to match the settings you had before you docked).

This is why I asked earlier about combat (and other heavy damage). We've had experience before with sub-ent ships where people were scraping walls on docking for larger ships and losing sub-ents without realising it and then wondering why they got maint overhauls all the time. That shouldn't happen with the Vortex as it's not a huge ship compared to the dock size, but the general principle may apply.

Sadly here I think we may have an issue with the trunk code for sub-ents and overhauls itself. It's not something I've ever seen, but it can be tested using the console (if you get an overhaul, use "PS.subentities.length" to see how many sub-ents you have - the Vortex should always have 4 when docked). If you have a lower number, then you will get the overhaul. But also that is wrong as the script should prevent that situation.