All-in-One HUD

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

All-in-One HUD

Post by RyanHoots »

I spent the day working on a HUD, and this is what I came up with. It's a combination of two HUDs, the MilSpec HUD and Isis Interstellar's Gneric HUD, using Thargoid's excellent HUD switching script. You can download the All-in-One HUD at http://ubuntuone.com/p/11LG/ (this link does not work. Please use http://www.box.net/shared/pv0cfjylrz3x1flh1x8b).

Default HUD, used for the screen with the rotating Cobby:
Generic HUD's trader screen, that looks like a computer display.
Docked:
MilSpec's docked HUD, showing only the missiles.
Status Green:
MilSpec's green HUD.
Status Yellow:
MilSpec's red HUD, without the cross in the middle of the crosshairs (keeping the dot). STE is target-sensitive.
Status Red:
Generic HUD's blue "red alert" HUD, with red crosshairs and a blue cross in the middle with a red dot. STE is target-sensitive.
Damaged:
Generic HUD's damaged HUD.

I hope you like it. Maybe sometime I'll make a completely new HUD, instead of merging two.
Last edited by RyanHoots on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: All-in-One HUD

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

There's a problem with your zip.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

Please upload your file to box.net, Ubuntuone throws up virus messages
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The problem is that the file is a 7-Zip archive, not a Zip/WinZip one. Ryan, you may want to upload it as a standard zip so that people without 7-Zip can also have access to it.
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Must be the crazy Zip progam on Linux. I'll see what I can do. Maybe if all else fails I'll use a different type of archive.
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Sorry about the problems, it's on Box.net now. I uploaded two versions, .zip and .rar, hopefully at least one will work. If not, I can always use good old tar.bz2 archives, it's unlikely tarballs work on Windows or Mac.
Zip: http://www.box.net/shared/o8is1icmek4hes9kgrlr
Rar: http://www.box.net/shared/pv0cfjylrz3x1flh1x8b
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

RyanHoots wrote:
Must be the crazy Zip progam on Linux. I'll see what I can do. Maybe if all else fails I'll use a different type of archive.
That's odd. I use Ubuntu so all my OXPs are zipped up on this computer before being uploaded, and I've never had a single download problem reported, and that's with over 3 500 downloads in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Smivs wrote:
RyanHoots wrote:
That's odd. I use Ubuntu so all my OXPs are zipped up on this computer before being uploaded, and I've never had a single download problem reported, and that's with over 3 500 downloads in total.
I know what you mean. I zipped the Anguis Primus and Ryan's Villa OXPs using the same method. Pretty strange.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Well the zip you've got up there now works fine. I just downloaded it and tried it out.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

RyanHoots, I dowloaded and unzipped your hud.oxp. Everything appears to be there except for a proper readme including licence and attribution to the authors of the huds you pieced out for this oxp. I'm assuming you have asked the authors. See any of my oxps for a guideline if you wish.

I gave it a little test and went through a number of condition changes to get the hud to switch through all it's modes. The changes work ok except for the docked mode. It has to choose between 2 different docked huds screens and it needs work as it depends whether you are starting a game from scratch or reloading a game or which hud you have when you dock that determines rather half-hazardly which docked hud is seen.

The combination of the 2 hud styles works to the extent of the idea of a combat specific hud when a hostile is attacking. That's a good idea. :D Using the damaged hud from generic only works visually if the energy is low when you are in combat and then there is a smooth transition between the generic hud combat and damaged screens but for energy low when not in combat the transition breaks immersion for me. Would require a seperate energy low screen when not in combat that matches the normally displayed milhud screens. Otherwise the operation of the switching works well.

On closer inspection I see that hud.plists, etc. have not been renamed with an original prefix that helps others identify it and prevents compatibility issues. Should be. Try "aio"combathud etc. If there are any problems later then the log will show what hud they came from and not confuse people to think they came from generichud or milhud.

I must say that if this is your first attempt at huds then hats off to you. Good job! It's a learning process and you have to start somewhere. My first attempt was not as good as this. :wink:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

This is my first attempt at a HUD, my goal was to take a look at the internal workings and find out how it works. Maybe with a lot of work, I might get something, but likely I'll start work on a totally different project. I've learned a lot from doing this.