Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Split: Install the latest Oolite version - why it is good

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Split: Install version 1.75.2 - why it is good

Post by another_commander »

Split from the Damageable Scanner discussion in Expansion Pack.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Any interest in a damagable/destroyable HUD/Scanner OXP?

Post by Smivs »

lave wrote:
Yes I know about the oxp table, but they have all been altered in some way to make them compatible with 1.75...
No they haven't. That's the point. Myself and others did a load of testing when we updated the table and my best guestimate is that 60-70% were already 1.75 compliant. Very few just 'didn't work', and there were a few that needed more than a bit of work, but mostly they worked either well or OK, and most of the ones that needed to be changed needed tiny changes to make them work.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

I'm not usually one of the first people to update, either, lave. I tend to many of the same worries. What if the game just doesn't fly the same after a change and all your practice in getting good at certain moves suddenly becomes nothing but newbie flailing again? What if an OXP isn't supported and it was one you rather counted on? What if things just don't "look right" anymore? It *is* worrisome. All I can say is that so far, i personally have usually found the changes for the better to outweigh any bits that are lost.

Going through and updating the OXPs to newer versions is a bit of a hassle. But you do see a list when you start Oolite that tells you which ones are having a problem, and it's nowhere near all of them, just a percentage. So that isn't likely to actually take days or anything, maybe an hour or so. If you customise OXPs a bit sometimes, yes that can add to the hassle. I have two separate "characters" that pretty much live in different Ooniverses, since the OXPs installed for each are quite different, and while both are modified at least a bit, one has a fair number of modifications/tweaks. I have taken to keeping a TXT file of any changes I make, so I have something to work with when a necessary OXP update means I'll have to decide if I'm going to go through and make those changes again. I won't say that solves all the problems involved, but it can help some.

I also keep the install files for Oolite, so I still have the version of the game itself that "used to work right" in a folder somewhere, just in case. That's more of a remedy than a cure, though, since you can revert to the version that worked with what you want, but you also will miss out on some of the new developments you might like. You end up having to make hard choices. One of my "characters", for instance, is sort of stuck with an older version of Oolite because aesthetically speaking, he's not the sort that would care to stay (as in dock and save for the night) at a main station. The "Save Anywhere" OXP is a hard one to give up there, since "the game in the head" for me sort of fits much better with that character ending and starting a play session on planet surfaces or pretty much anywhere *but* a Galcop main station. It's not so much that the game is somewhat brutally biased in favour of a "non-fugitive" status, since he is almost always "clean", as that the character has as little to do with Galcop as possible. LOL But that also means that when I play that character, a lot of the nifty new stuff just won't work.

Even in my "main" character, where that isn't so much of a necessity, there's other problems. My keyconfig is modified quite a bit, since I use a modified keyboard as a "control panel".
Just about every time I think I have it all worked out and settled to my liking, there's an update and some keys get changed or a neat new one gets added or more controls are added under the joystick possibilities, so I can move their functionality to a different controller and use less keyboard. But that project is kind of "lunatic fringe" anyway, and such changes aren't a hassle for most players. It's a case where I wanted something weird and so I end up having to do extra work if I want to keep it working and up-to-date.

Back to the point, I understand the worry, lave. But there's a lot to miss with not at least trying the major updates. If you don't throw away installation files of versions that have worked well, document any changes or tweaks to OXPs as you make them, and consider maybe having more than one Oolite on your machine so you can at least try the new things without risking messing up the old ones, then at least you can have the capability for making an informed choice at the cost of it being a bit more work.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Oolite is so small, I make separate install folders for a couple versions -- usually just the latest trunk version and the last major stable version. (in this case v 1.75.2.)
lave
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Deep in Leesti space mining asteroids for a living.

Post by lave »

The oxp that I really need to keep is the save anywhere oxp.

Most times I am deep in space mining asteriods and if I have to end the game quickly, then I tend to head off to the nearest planet or moon or other dockable object to save the game.

It may not seem much of a problem but I really would like to keep that oxp.

If that oxp could be made compatible then I would upgrade.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I tend to move between Constores, hardly bothering with the Main Station - so I too need "save anywhere" to work...

No upgrade for me, unless I abandon that character (until such time that such an oxp/native game methodology is (re-)introduced)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
lave
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Deep in Leesti space mining asteroids for a living.

Post by lave »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
No upgrade for me, unless I abandon that character
Yeah exactly.
I would not like to change the way I play the game.

Out of all the oxp's I have, that is the most important to me. Not being able to save anywhere would be like losing an arm lol and would totally change my game play.

So if that oxp could be made compatible with 1.75, I'd upgrade.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Not to derail this thread but...

DH and lave you have a good reason not to install the latest version as Save Anywhere.oxp doesn't work with 1.75 and your playstyle requires it. I guess this really begs the question: Why isn't a new version of Save Anywhere.oxp available and if one isn't going to be then why can't it be hardcoded to be able to save anywhere(I know it's a PITA but maybe as a kind of workaround like the oxp did it.)
I believe saving anywhere is a big playability enhancer with no(or next to no) drawbacks and would open up whole new concepts of play like really being a pirate. :D

This aside 1.75+ IS worth the upgrade and I can't wait to see 1.76 :D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Well, your problem is solved gentlemen. I have on my computer a version of SaveAnywhere.oxp that is compatible with oolite versions 1.74.2, 1.75.1, 1.75.2 and 1.75.3.

DH, Ganelon, lave, the wait is over. You may now upgrade to 1.75.3 :D (pending distribution of course.)

For more information go to the SaveAnywhere.oxp thread.

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 95#p148195

The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades. 8)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

WIKI+OXPs
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Downloading 1.75.3 in pre-emptive potential happiness...
8) 8) 8) :lol: <with unbounded joy>
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Split: Install the latest Oolite version - why it is goo

Post by another_commander »

Changed title of thread so as to avoid potential misinterpretations about the latest version of the game.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Split: Install the latest Oolite version - why it is goo

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

another_commander wrote:
Changed title of thread so as to avoid potential misinterpretations about the latest version of the game.
Nicely done. :)

WIKI+OXPs