Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Split: Install the latest Oolite version - why it is good

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Split: Install the latest Oolite version - why it is good

Post by Gimi »

Moderator: Split from the Damageable Scanner discussion in Expansion Pack.
lave wrote:
Sounds cool.
Will it work with 1.74 though?
Why would you want it to. Are you having problems with later versions?
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
lave
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Deep in Leesti space mining asteroids for a living.

Re: Any interest in a damagable/destroyable HUD/Scanner OXP?

Post by lave »

Gimi wrote:
lave wrote:
Sounds cool.
Will it work with 1.74 though?
Why would you want it to. Are you having problems with later versions?
I have over 100 oxp's and I want to keep them all.

The thought of downloading and installing all of them again is just too much, so I am sticking with 1.74.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

lave wrote:
I have over 100 oxp's and I want to keep them all.
The thought of downloading and installing all of them again is just too much, so I am sticking with 1.74.
Point taken, I have 102 right now, and It's taken a while to get everything up to 1.75 compatibility. But I have to say, it's been worth it. Still, not a job one wants to do too often.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

um, why would you need to d/l them all again? just copy the Addons folder over. the only ones you might need are ones that are not compatible but i'd think the majority of them will work fine.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

lave - just uninstall the 1.74. The AddOns folder should stay (if you're extra cautious, you can copy it somewhere). Then install the 1.75.1 in the same place and voila, everything is kept! Including saves.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Zireael wrote:
lave - just uninstall the 1.74. The AddOns folder should stay (if you're extra cautious, you can copy it somewhere). Then install the 1.75.1 in the same place and voila, everything is kept! Including saves.
True, but if you have a stable environment that works to your liking, some people choose to freeze their installation. Going from 1.74 to 1.75 will require an update of quite a few OXP's. Equally, if he has done a lot of customisation, it is a considerable task to redo all that with updated OXP's.
lave
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lave »

There is no point in keeping my addon's folder if they are not going to be compatible with 1.75.

I will have to download all the oxp's again that have been converted for 1.75.
Even then, there are some that I want that are not going to be converted.

If I thought that what I have now was just going to work with 1.75, then sure I would install the 1.75 main program. But all my oxp's would conflict with it, so they have to be downloaded again.

Plus I have changed a few to suit my needs and that in itself is a big task to go through them all to see what I changed and where.

I do want 1.75 but I will have to find the time to download it all again.
And then what happens if a 1.76 comes out or Oolite 2?

I would have to go through the whole process again lol.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Lave, post the portion of your log file where it lists all the OXPs as it's loading them. Let us all have a look. Someone will be able to tell you at a glance if x-OXP is compatible or not. Many eyes make light work, crowdsourcing, etc. etc.
lave
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lave »

Wildeblood wrote:
Lave, post the portion of your log file where it lists all the OXPs as it's loading them. Let us all have a look. Someone will be able to tell you at a glance if x-OXP is compatible or not. Many eyes make light work, crowdsourcing, etc. etc.

Thanks.

I will download 1.75 later tonight and install it, then see what pops up with regards to uncompatible oxp's.

If the list is too long then I'll just have to download them as and when I have time.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Or just check through the OXP table. That makes it very clear which are 1.75 compatible. You'll find it is most of them anyway, I think.
What you're saying is the equivalent of "I don't want the benefits of a nice new car, I like the way the old one is a dirty, old, worn-out gas-guzzler." :?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Smivs wrote:
Or just check through the OXP table. That makes it very clear which are 1.75 compatible. You'll find it is most of them anyway, I think.
What you're saying is the equivalent of "I don't want the benefits of a nice new car, I like the way the old one is a dirty, old, worn-out gas-guzzler." :?
That's not quite true - he's saying that he likes that his current diesel train and it runs on all the tracks he currently uses, but if he wants to use the the latest shiny new (all-electric) train then not all the rail lines have been upgraded to overhead power (some were all electric by default) but some will never be electrified, so if he likes that destination then he's going to stick to his old diesel...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

lave wrote:
There is no point in keeping my addon's folder if they are not going to be compatible with 1.75.

I will have to download all the oxp's again that have been converted for 1.75.
Even then, there are some that I want that are not going to be converted.

If I thought that what I have now was just going to work with 1.75, then sure I would install the 1.75 main program. But all my oxp's would conflict with it, so they have to be downloaded again.

Plus I have changed a few to suit my needs and that in itself is a big task to go through them all to see what I changed and where.

I do want 1.75 but I will have to find the time to download it all again.
And then what happens if a 1.76 comes out or Oolite 2?

I would have to go through the whole process again lol.
Lave, if you want a reason to switch to 1.75 then just look at the latest hud concepts. If something changes based on which view then ViewDirection is used. If selectors are to be activated from within the hud.plist using equipment then equipment visible is needed. If you want to do fast updates(animation) then Frame callbacks are required. These were all added in 1.75 and are allowing me to do some incredible stuff. In addition many oxp's are relying on shipTakingDamage and primeable equipment(n, shift+n) as a trigger for script. All was added in 1.75 and therefore most of the cool stuff 8) done in the new year requires this version or better. Don't be missing out!

As a side thought think how difficult it is as developers just to keep up with the new changes and all the script we have to go through and you might realize just updating your addons is not that big a deal to get in most cases stuff not even conceived of before. Well worth the effort. :)

In the case of upgrading 1.74.2 upwards the #1 thing is probably the has equipment change(depricated) to equipment status. If you go through any 1.74.2 oxp and make this change it will probably work.(provided the scripting is efficient and doesn't run too long) Did this for most of my personal stuff when I switched over and it was a PITA. :roll:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Yeah, this board needs more dubious transport analogies. :wink:

And CSOTB is right...more so than he lets on. Some really good changes have come along since 1.74, in particular much better NPC behaviour. So the upgrade is very definitely worthwhile.
Why not take the opportunity to have a look at your AddOns folder as it sounds a little over-full to me. Upgrade any of the ones you want (that need upgrading), and maybe (probably I'd suggest) you'll find some which you don't need anymore (completed missions?) and some that you simply don't need or want anymore.
This sounds like a good opportunity to have a de-clutter to me.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Smivs wrote:
The problem I've had with skimming through the oxp table is that it doesn't list version numbers. So while they may at first glance appear to be compatible, they are actually a later version.

True, you can sort by date, but I have no idea when I downloaded an oxp, and while sometimes I can guess a date and deduce that I need to re-download, there are others when I've been following the bb threads and updated from there. Meaning that it can actually take longer than one would expect to update everything.

Of course, is is most definitely worth it in the end!
lave
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lave »

Smivs wrote:

Yes I know about the oxp table, but they have all been altered in some way to make them compatible with 1.75, and so I would have to find and download 198 (I just counted them) oxp's.

I just don't have time to find and download that many at the moment.
Hence the reason I am staying with 1.74.2 for now.