Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Sniper Sight - MilHUD integrated

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [BETA] Sniper Scope

Post by Wildeblood »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
It looks good, but I still don't know what it offers over just getting your target in the middle of the normal crosshairs and pressing fire...
The normal cross-hairs are not always there. As I said in my second post:-
Wildeblood wrote:
And this has the advantage that, unlike the usual cross-hairs, it's visible in custom view mode. So it would be ridiculously appropriate for ships that have a custom "Gun Camera" view defined.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
It looks good, but I still don't know what it offers over just getting your target in the middle of the normal crosshairs and pressing fire... help - I'm clearly being thick...
The normal sights work fine for close-range, where there's no trouble centering them on the target. For long range though, the normal sights suck hard; you'll miss more often than hit.

This is a targeting aid for long-range shooting. Much like a rifle is more accurate at 100 yards with a Red Dot or scope, than with the factory installed notch-and-bead sights.
Last edited by Cmdr Wyvern on Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
It looks good, but I still don't know what it offers over just getting your target in the middle of the normal crosshairs and pressing fire... help - I'm clearly being thick...
You're not being thick. To explain more clearly, there are two sets of lines, horizontal and vertical. Each set has a (horizontal/vertical) fixed line that doesn't move and a (horizontal/vertical) line for the target icon(this moves). When you supersize the compass it makes the difference between the fixed and target icon lines exaggerated so you can see the difference actually and make a correction. The bigger the compass the bigger the difference. When both sets of lines are lined up AND the target reticle is red then you KNOW you are on target. It helps take the error out of the target reticle. A good estimate is twice the accuracy using this method, better if your stick sensitivity is turned down to allow finer adjustments.

What really has me excited is the effect of using custom views on your ship to zoom in to the target combined with turning down the stick sensitivity. With a little polish and script adjustment this will be a sniper camera. To make it an oxp that adds working equipment like this to the ship requires that the shipdata overides plist be used and every ship that you want this added to will have to have an override. This will be a neverending task to include all the player version ships and keep the list current. Also hud compatibility will be a problem. The better route is to have this be a "Special" feature built in to bounty hunter ships. Then the proper hud(s) and scripting can be included from the start and no further compatibility updating will be necessary. It will also have the result of making this feature highly sought after and a premium price paid for it. Must keep the balance. :D

In terms of playability this is actually a good one as it is not a cakewalk to get the target lined up as the target gets out of alignment as quick(or quicker) as you can line it up. I believe it will require decent skill to do all this while under fire, just like a real sniper. Kudos to Wildeblood for showing us a new way of doing things and I believe this will enhance dedicated bounty hunter ships for the better. :D
Last edited by CommonSenseOTB on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Ah-ha!

Thank-you.

8)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cdr. Jettison
Average
Average

Re: [PRE-RELEASE] Sniper Scope - get in before the price ris

Post by Cdr. Jettison »

Zireael wrote:
Is there a way to make it work with HUDs other than the default one? I haven't tried removing NumericHUD.oxp yet...
Well, I don't know for sure. But I guess if you add to your script.js something like this

Code: Select all

this.saveShipHud = function(){
	missionVariables.sniperScopeHud = player.ship.hud;
}
this.startUp = function(){
	if (!missionVariables.sniperScopeHud)
		this.saveShipHud();
}
this.playerBoughtNewShip = function(){
	this.saveShipHud();
}
and then change the line

player.ship.hud = "hud.plist";
to

player.ship.hud = missionVariables.sniperScopeHud;
that could make the trick.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Thanks, Cdr. Jettison. Now the only mystery is why anyone making a replacement HUD would name the file anything other than hud.plist?

EDIT: I've just uploaded an example of the sniper sight integrated into the latest version of Cmdr Wyvern's Military HUD, and updated the first page of this thread accordingly.

http://www.box.net/shared/ldvxfo8cz75cfya4pu2m
Cdr. Jettison
Average
Average

Post by Cdr. Jettison »

Wildeblood wrote:
Now the only mystery is why anyone making a replacement HUD would name the file anything other than hud.plist?
Cobra Mk I and Adder use hud-small.plist instead of hud.plist. There also some OXP ships that use customised HUDS (e.g. most ships from Isis Interstellar by Killer Wolf)
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cdr. Jettison wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
Now the only mystery is why anyone making a replacement HUD would name the file anything other than hud.plist?
Cobra Mk I and Adder use hud-small.plist instead of hud.plist. There also some OXP ships that use customised HUDS (e.g. most ships from Isis Interstellar by Killer Wolf)
Yes, all of Simon B's ships in Neolite-Wolfies and some of his Waka series have their own HUDs, too. Attribute my remark to lack of sleep, then.
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
EDIT: If anyone wants to have a play with the sniping edition MilHUD, here ya go. http://www.box.net/shared/lkj7kkymfmfj141vt1hy
Been following this thread with interest, so as a MilHUD user (very nice!) I was naturally intrigued . . .
So, after loading up, nothing seems to be any different so far, does this use the giant sight or not? If so, what do I need to do to see it?
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

m4r35n357 wrote:
So, after loading up, nothing seems to be any different so far, does this use the giant sight or not? If so, what do I need to do to see it?
Looks pretty accurate anyhow, just been sniping at a Gecko at 20-25k . . . nice!
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

m4r35n357 wrote:
Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
EDIT: If anyone wants to have a play with the sniping edition MilHUD, here ya go. http://www.box.net/shared/lkj7kkymfmfj141vt1hy
Been following this thread with interest, so as a MilHUD user (very nice!) I was naturally intrigued . . .
Target a ship and cycle through the advanced compass until you get to target mode and the giant compass/sight should appear. When the horizontal and vertical lines line up and the reticle is red you are dead on target! Snipe away! :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Sniper Sight - MilHUD integrated & stand-alone versions

Post by m4r35n357 »

OK ta, sounds obvious now ;)
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

m4r35n357 wrote:
Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Use Wildeblood's remixed version. He did a much more elegant job than I. :)

As for how effective it is, I killed a Thargoid Battleship at 25km, then switched to the sniper sight and eliminated a drone that refused to stand down when it's mothership died.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Use Wildeblood's remixed version. He did a much more elegant job than I. :)
Thank you, Cmdr Wyvern, I'm glad you approve.
Matti
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Sniper Sight - MilHUD integrated & stand-alone versions

Post by Matti »

I've downloaded Sniper scope, bought it for my Cobra 3 and it worked first time. On second time, when I was actually going to shoot with it, game CTD. This with Oolite 1.75.2 and Windows 7

[edit]
Relaunched game and blasted few offenders with the scope. Nifty!