Is there a way to change the ship shown at Oolite startup?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Is there a way to change the ship shown at Oolite startup?

Post by RyanHoots »

When I start Oolite, a Cobra Mark III is on the screen, like it has been since I installed Oolite for the first time. Is there a way to change this, just for fun? Thanks.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Is there a way to change the ship shown at Oolite startu

Post by Capt. Murphy »

The model shown (and the ship you start in as a new Jameson) is whatever is ship is currently named "cobra3-player" in your shipdata.plist's. This may be the core model, or if you've got Smiv's or Neolite's installed there own versions which are named the same and overwrite the core version.

You can change this by making a little OXP with just a Config folder with a shipdata.plist in it. I have the following which makes the spinning Cobra and new Jameson ship the Griff version (which is not named "cobra3-player" so doesn't overwrite the core ship when installed).

Code: Select all

{
"cobra3-player" =
	       {
		like_ship = "griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_scuffed_player";
		forward_weapon_type = "WEAPON_PULSE_LASER";
		}
}
However you could like_ship to any player version of any ship you've got installed.

edit to add - If you have Griff's installed alongside another reskin pack (Neolites, Smiv's, Deppsace etc) it is better to put this code in a shipdata-overrides.plist. (Thanks Eldon).
Last edited by Capt. Murphy on Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Thank you, I'll try that. I'll be careful when I choose a ship, I don't want Jamesons getting a Constrictor! :lol:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

You see the Cobra 3 first because it's the first ship listed in the 'demoships.plist'. If you leave it running rather than start playing you will see most of the ships (but not all).
You can easily change this order by copying the demoships.plist, editing it to put whichever ship you want to come first (even a ship from an installed OXP) then putting your edited demoships.plist into your AddOns folder. You will then see your choice first - at startup.
Edit a copy, NOT the original, and don't use Notepad as it's got a nasty habit of adding unwanted characters and breaking things. Almost any other text editor is OK.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Smivs wrote:
You see the Cobra 3 first because it's the first ship listed in the 'demoships.plist'.
No, not so. If you completely delete the demoships file, you still see the Cobra 3 on the startup screen. I have tried it.