Piracy - do you?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Do you partake in piracy?

Oh I say, how could one? How ghastly.
28%
I did. Once. I couldn't sleep for weeks.
14%
Only when I get bored because I'm masslocked AGAIN.
19%
If the cops ain't looking, who's gonna know?
19%
You are kidding, right? Newbies!
5%
How else are you going to get to Elite?
2%
Trading's for losers.
2%
You ain't taking me alive, copper.
No votes
Oo-arrr. It be what us pirates does.
3%
Murder! Death! Kill! KILL!! KILL!!! KILL THEM ALL!!!!
9%

Total votes: 58

Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Piracy - do you?

Post by Bugbear »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Not to get off topic .......
..but...but...but...taking threads off topic is one of the greatest skills of the denizens of this board!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Clean pirates should be possible if they're good at what they do.
As I've said repeatedly: no pirate who is not an absolute idiot will ever be anything else than clean. Personally I am always clean, and I kill and scoop everything on my scanner.
Does that include Vipers!?
No (they don't carry enough cargo :twisted: ), which is why I'm always clean. :wink:
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

If there's no purple there's a prize.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

For a bounty hunter like me, its a bad idea. Having anything less than a clean record means a) I won't be able to ever get help from GalCop, b) I risk them or other bounty hunters tracking me down, and c) I can't go into the "random hits" bounty hunter bars.

Anyway, do unto others...
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

It sometimes astonishes me how many kind hearted and incorruptible commanders there are out there. I always assumed that a larger portion of the Lave Academy graduates had that burned out of them once they got shot down half a dozen times. This squirrel learned the only ship you can truly trust is your own!
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

This rat learned the same thing, but I still can't bring myself to attack an innocent merchant.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

I only tend to pirate clean ships if it's an unusual or rare ship. I'm sure NPC's in a Vortex or Caddy didn't get one without being a little bit naughty, and anyway they are asking for the little guy in the Cobra to have a pop flying something like that.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
I'm sure NPC's in a Vortex or Caddy didn't get one without being a little bit naughty, and anyway they are asking for the little guy in the Cobra to have a pop flying something like that.
You're lucky! I've had those installed for ages and have never yet seen an NPC flying one! Though, that's probably my fault for having so many different ship oxps installed... I should probably have a look at all of them and go through tweaking some of the probabilities...
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

I'm quite selective about my ship installations. I saw 2 Caddy's, a Vortex and a Vector all in about 2 hours of play yesterday but that's unusual.

My 'core set' is Griffs, the Neolite extras and companions, the Vortex, Vector and Caddy. Other ships or sets of ships I put in and out as I go through the galaxies to give a bit of variety.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

I am the pirate's worst nightmare, but if I'm masslocked, bored, and I have nothing better to do, I might put the cloaking device on and kill (even vipers), to pass the time. :twisted:
Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Commander Wilmot »

I have never engaged in piracy. That being said, a certain Commander Wilmot flying Executioner II (a werewolf) was involved in various acts of resistance against the Communist States (better dead than red) and so he had an unfortunate habit of destroying worker commuters which mass-locked him. The exact number of these kills are unknown as he was often cloaked when he did committed these atrocious acts. He did have something of a soul (albeitly one that was three sizes too small) and so he of course scooped the workers who hid in cargo pods, hoping they could use them as makeshift escape pods until help arrived. He later felt pity for the workers and stopped destroying their space-craft. He later briefly clipped an innocent trader (the idiot got in his way when he was assisting the idiot with his defense against pirates) with his forward mil laser and was sent for an "attitude adjustment" at the main system station (guess the reds got him after all).
slomoe
Competent
Competent
Location: At The Edge, Looking Down Listening To The Winds Of Limbo Roar

Post by slomoe »

I have killed innocent traders :roll: , but they have been few and far between. Most of the time I will strafe a boa, python or anaconda until they dump their cargo and bail out then I make sure to scoop them as well (most are good rewards) then I help myself to their remaining fuel, and finally destroy their ship for the kill (how else can we get to be elite!) I am mostly always clean, I do step in between police and fugitives and If I'm attacked by whoever I will defend myself. I trade, bounty hunt, and sometimes even piracy! :twisted: it's all available, mostly it depends on my mood. I fly in my cobra mark III the " Intrepid Voyager" am deadly with over 3000 kills and still have a long way to go until the Elite rating, so I'm sure there will still be some piracy!! :mrgreen:
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

slomoe wrote:
and finally destroy their ship for the kill (how else can we get to be elite!)
If you've gone to all that trouble, follow up with a salvage missile instead of destroying the ship. You'll get to Elite quicker doing it...and get richer along the way if successful. 8)
slomoe
Competent
Competent
Location: At The Edge, Looking Down Listening To The Winds Of Limbo Roar

Post by slomoe »

I guess that with a salvage missle, you get a fee for the ship, thus getting richer! And with all the pirates trying their best to blow it up before you get it there would push the kill ratio even higher thus making the elite status quicker! good advice thanks :D
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

I'm thinking about becoming a pirate when I become Elite. :twisted: It could be bad though, As a fugitive, ANYBODY who wants to could kill me, so I'll think about it before I adopt a life of piracy.