Expansion pack problems

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Expansion pack problems

Post by Staer9 »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
If Oolite doesn't include a mechanism for changing ALL the ships including the players to a different set, then that's the fault of Oolite, not the player.
Ah, but it does (neolite.oxp is a great example), in this case it is a fault in the .oxp, not the game, or the player.

Instead of the shipset overiding the original shipdata.plist it creates one that goes alongside it, then it uses a shipdata-overides.plist to tell oolite not to use any of the old npc ships in the game. Then it also uses a shipyard-overides.plist to tell oolite not to sell any of the old ships to the player... the result being that if you have one of the vanilla ships it will not change it to a Griffed ship. This has both advantages and disadvantages, it means you can run neolite and griff shipset at the same time if you remove the overide files, but it also causes this mess for new jamesons wanting to fly a great ship.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Staer9 wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
If Oolite doesn't include a mechanism for changing ALL the ships including the players to a different set, then that's the fault of Oolite, not the player.
Ah, but it does (neolite.oxp is a great example), in this case it is a fault in the .oxp, not the game, or the player.

Instead of the shipset overiding the original shipdata.plist it creates one that goes alongside it, then it uses a shipdata-overides.plist to tell oolite not to use any of the old npc ships in the game. Then it also uses a shipyard-overides.plist to tell oolite not to sell any of the old ships to the player... the result being that if you have one of the vanilla ships it will not change it to a Griffed ship. This has both advantages and disadvantages, it means you can run neolite and griff shipset at the same time if you remove the overide files, but it also causes this mess for new jamesons wanting to fly a great ship.
You're quite correct - I used to play with the default neolite set - but I don't have much time to play any more - so I had forgotten.

However, as you reminded me - Griff's way means his ships play nicely with others - but does require that the player edit his save file to get the same style ship in the Ooniverse. However, my original point stands - I don't consider this cheating.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Toonloon
Poor
Poor

Post by Toonloon »

Thanks for the help, fellas.

I'm at work at present so can't try all those suggestions. As a complete newbie, your posts throw up more questions to me than answers.

What is neolite?

Is there any sort of reccomended oxp lists that I can download to update my oolite experience to optimum graphics? Or can one of you tell me which paks you use please?

Thanks guys! Can't WAIT to play this tonight!
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

Neolite is like griffs shipset (it replaces all the core ships and stations) but to a different style, I personally run both of them (griff/neolite) just to add more variety to the Ooniverse.

The neolite wiki page is here and the bullitin page is here

Seeing as you are a new Jameson it is not a good idea to download mission oxps or ones that make NPCs tougher (NPC being the computer oponents) If you have a decent computer you should be able to run Griff ships and Neolite ships at the same time, the other eye-candy oxps that I use are:

Ice Asteroids
Graffiti Asteroids
Neolite companion
Neolite Wolfies

(seeing as you requested a list of the oxps that we run, it varies from player to player and depends on how you want your universe)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Worth a mention that my Smivs'Shipset also sit nicely with Griffs (like the Neolites). This set features a few extra variants on the Core ships and some nice lighting effects, and also has the 'advantage' of using the 'core' ship models for authenticity.
</plug>
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Toonloon wrote:
I'm having a bit of trouble finding and sorting through the oxps. Is there a reccomended list I can have please? I'd like to update the graphics as much as possible, including the HUD and the hyperspace effects, etc, if I can.
I don't think there are any OXPs which alter the hyperspace effect. HUDs can be found on the wiki here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Category:HUDs_OXPs

For pure eye-candy which adds some more dockable stations to certain systems – always useful for Jamesons looking for more places to trade – there's always the Your Ad Here! OXP.